Samara Local Customs

• kiwigal_1's Profile Photo

CURRENCY

by kiwigal_1 Updated Nov 16, 2004

10 Roubles

The money used in Samara and throughout Russia is the Rouble. This currency underwent a devaluation in 1998 and is currently stable. Roubles can be bought inside Russia in exchange for either US Dollars or Deutch Marks. It was also possible to exchange them at Sukhbaatar, Mongolia on my way through on the Trans Siberian Railway.

In Samara it is possible to get cash advances on your credit card at the AUTO BANK which is located near 'the white house' in the old part of town.

To find out how much the Rouble is worth click on the link to launch the currency converter at

• Work Abroad

• Astralka's Profile Photo

Gas tubes in the middle of the road

by Astralka Updated Jul 22, 2004

From Slovakia villages I am used to hens and goats on the road.. But this surprised me a lot when I saw a truck going off the road avoiding the gas tubes. A cheaper way than digging in the ground ?, he

In the same village in the Samara region I woke up one morning and saw a cannabis next to my sleeping bag. I looked around and found a small field. We were so happy in Samara that we never tried it. Then we left it behind in the train on the way back.

In Samara we preferred to sleep outside the house, because we did not like "tarakany" (popular insects in Russia). The first night I had a a mouse running across my neck and it was too much for me. Btw. my brother once told me, that you can recognize a Russian mouse easily, as it has a crescent and a hammer on its red belly. He was studying in Moscow living in students dormitory, so he should know it. But my mouse was running too fast and it was dark.

• Study Abroad

• Astralka's Profile Photo

KBAC

by Astralka Updated Jun 18, 2003

I tasted it and it was like the apple fermented juice. It is a special drink that makes you run there and back until you find a toilet (therefore I took my pict before my friends drank it). Next time I will not be a coward and I try it on myself and drink the whole cup

• heplion's Profile Photo

In Samara, it is popular to go...

by heplion Written Aug 26, 2002

In Samara, it is popular to go swimming in your birthday suit in the Volga in the winter time. This picture was taken when it was about -2C out. Can you see the 'crazy?' man wading intot he river amidst the snowflakes?

Instant Answers: Samara

Comments

Samara Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Samara local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Samara sightseeing.