playing the chimes in Yaroslavl
This was one of the highlights of our guided tour through Yaroslavl: These bells are placed in front of the belfry of Spaso-Preobrazhensky Monastery inside of the Kremlin-walls and there is a small box for donations and when-ever a tour-group is willing to throw in some money, someone will come there and make a great performance of the chimes and you will be able to watch how it is done by tiny ropes, and just a small movement of the fingers will give you a perfect melody...
- Family Travel
- Arts and Culture
the bear on the coat of arms
The city of Yaroslavl, one of the cities of the Golden Ring, was founded in 1010 by Yaroslav the Wise, the son of the Kievan Prince Vladimir; before then pagan tribes used to inhabit the area.
When Yaroslavl arrived and met with the tribes, a female bear tried to attack him, but he managed to kill the bear. The tribes, after their sacred animal's death, left the region and Yaroslavl founded his city. There's is now a beat on the city's coat of arms.
- Historical Travel
- Arts and Culture
Visiting Christian Churches
Christian churches - be they Protestant, Orthodox, or Catholic - are a vital part of Europe’s cultural, artistic, architectural, and religious heritage, and as such you are likely (and I really recommend doing this:)) ) to visit many of them. However, most of them are even today not only major tourist attractions, but also religious sites where people come to pray. This is something to be respected, and here are several pieces of advice I would like to give that might help avoid ill-feeling:
- Dress modestly, covering shoulders and most part of the legs (women in Orthodox churches might be requested to put on something to cover the head);
- Do not speak loudly - all the descriptions are better either read in silence or given outside;
- Try not to walk too much during the service;
- Avoid using flash in your camera near people you see praying;
- Respect notes that forbid entrance to some parts of the church that are designated as ‘for prayer only’.
Following these simple guidelines helped me when I visited, I guess, more than 1000 churches up to date:)))
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates