Kostoly/Churches, Bratislava

Know about this? Rate It!

Church of Merciful Brothers
    by HORSCHECK
  • Kostoly/Churches
    by Lhenne1
    What is the name of thisChurch?
    by Ekaterinburg
  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Churches

by HORSCHECK Updated Jan 21, 2006

Church of Merciful Brothers

Favorite thing: Bratislava has many different churches in and around the Old Town. Only the Gothic St. Martin's Cathedral (Dom Sv. Martina) at Rudnavoyo namestie dominates the city skyline.
    There are many other churches which attract the attention of the visitors while wandering through Bratislava's streets: The Franciscan Church is the oldest church in the Old Town dating back to the 13th century.
    Other churches include: the Jesuitical Church, the Church of St. Elisabeth, the Trinitarian Church, the Church of Merciful Brothers and many more.

• Trains

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Mystery Church ?

by Ekaterinburg Updated Jan 21, 2007

What is the name of thisChurch?

Favorite thing: The building in this photo really was my favourite thing in Bratislava. It was the first place that caught my eye as we arrived early in the morning and somewhere I photographed two or three times as I passed at various times during the day. It's on Hviezdoslavovo, quite close to the Slovak National Gallery. As you can see from the photo this is a really beautiful and tranquil spot, with people sitting around and two guys playing cards on the steps. Late in the afternoon, exhausted from walking and photographing, I came back here, sat on the steps and enjoyed a truly spectacular sunset. A few people passed me by and went inside so eventually I too lifted the latch and crept through the darkness to a light up ahead. To my amazement I discovered it was a little church where people were saying the rosary, so I had to sit down really quickly to avoid giving offense. There were only about six rows of pews and the old lady in my pew was looking daggers at me. I didn't blame her, after all why should tourists barge in and interrupt people's prayers. I knelt quietly and eventually picked up the refrain . 'Sweeta Maria, Matka Bugia', that's what it sounded like phonetically andas I knew what it meant in English I recited it with great enthusiasm. I now got big smiles from the old lady and stayed until the end of the rosary. This is my favourite memory of Bratislava but despite my best efforts, I just can't find the name of this church. Can anybody enlighten me please ?

• Architecture

• Skipka's Profile Photo

Trinity Church

by Skipka Updated Feb 26, 2004

bird view

Favorite thing: Trinity Church or The Church of St. Mathe is another nice sightseen worth to see. Parish church of Trinity in Bratislava is the piece of architecture that belongs to the nicest and most valuable dominants of the city. The construction of it was in the hands of monks - trinitars. The first brick was laid down in 1717 and in 1725 it was ordinated. The idea of design comes from the Church of St. Peter in Vienna projected by Lukas Heidebrand. The distinctive are mainly three arcuat turned towers.
    Nowadays there is also a small pastoration centre right next to the church, the olders (like me) remember that durign the socialistic period there was a bookstore where you should buy Russian books.

• Lhenne1's Profile Photo

Renovations

by Lhenne1 Written Sep 14, 2006

Favorite thing: Some of the churches in Bratislava are currently undergoing renovation. The city is really trying to rebuild and make it a place people will want to visit and/or move and work in.

Despite the ongoing work being done, little is losed to the public. So don't be concerned if something is a little dusty or looks quiet. It's probably still open. Check it out anyway.

We visited some churches like this and were pleasently surprised with gorgeous stained glass windows and alter artwork.

• vladoj's Profile Photo

Historical Bratislava

by vladoj Written May 1, 2003
    St.Martin's Dome

Favorite thing: Try to get to St.Martin's Dome, which is at this time fully reconstructed inside. There are many other signs of history however in Bratislava downtown:

• Architecture