Bratislava Tourist Traps

This is where our troubles started
    by Mikebb
    The tourist train near Bratislava castle
    by Rupanworld
    The tourist van at the old town
    by Rupanworld

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Bratislava

• boltonian's Profile Photo

Make your money last

by boltonian Written Feb 23, 2009

Since the onset of stag party culture, and the introduction of the Euro, some old town bars have raised prices to silly levels.

The Irish bar, and mexican next to it are two examples of this.

We paid around 1 Euro in many bars, even some nightclubs were only 1.50 Euro.

On the main square, 3 Euro was common place.

Avoid this rip off

• Rupanworld's Profile Photo

Tourist vehicles

by Rupanworld Written Dec 26, 2008

The tourist train near Bratislava castle

The tourist vehicles in Bratislava looked more like a tourist trap to me. One can see such (trains) while going to the Bratislava Castle uphill (you really don't need a vehicle to take you up unless you are very old or very ill) and some van sort of vehicles at the Old town (you also don't need one at the old town as the pleasure of walking there is just uncomparable)

• Puckfair's Profile Photo

taxis

by Puckfair Updated May 1, 2008

it is very wise to set a fare with the taxi man before commencing your journey
    we got a taxi from the hotel kyjev to the airport and asked at the hotel before hand how much it would cost - they said Max 600 SKK -Which is roughly about 20 euros
    the hotel booked the taxi for us - and fair enough it was there quite quick 5 minutes
    We got the car- arrived at the airport and the man looked at his taxi meter and it was saying 827 SKK
    there was no traffic anywhere so we could'nt say it was held up in a queue- we said that hotel said it would be max 600 SKK- the taxi man did'nt put up much resistance - so it showed that the fare he was going to charge couldnt be right- that does leave a sour taste in your mouth ! also we only paid 600 SKK

Unique Suggestions: It is advised not to get a taxi off the street- we did'nt but that was because we were in a central area
    it is best to either ring a taxi firm - your hotel should be able to provide you with telephone numbers- or get them to ring you

Fun Alternatives: taxis are grand
    but we only got it because we were going to the airport so early and did'nt want to be loaded with bags

remember the local trams start at 4.30 a.m

and when we went from the airport to our hotel the first time on our arrival - it cost us only 1.5 euros each-
    so abit of planning you could greatly reduce your journey costs

• Business Travel

• freezer61's Profile Photo

Bratislava Zoo

by freezer61 Written Dec 30, 2007

The zoo is is very run down with lots of empty cages and not a great selection of animals those they do have look as if they have been there a long time, your money would be better spent on a boat trip to Denon Castle.

• Zoo

• nina_z's Profile Photo

Don't Eat at the Koliba Tower!

by nina_z Written Aug 16, 2006

The Koliba tower which you can see from almost anywhere in Bratislava is situated on a hill called Koliba and it's a TV tower with a restaurant at the top. hile the view may be worth it, the food and the service definetly isn't. The food is overpriced and very average and the waiters are rude and ignorant. I've been here twice and never again. Once it was for a romantic Valentine's dinner and it was the worst ever thanks to the stafff.

Fun Alternatives: You ca't go up to the restaurant to see the view unless you want to dine, so all together I'd avoid this, if you still want a good view, go up to the restaurant at the top of Novy Most bridge. It is expensive but you don't have to eat, you can just pay to go and have a look.

• Lod Boat Tour Trips

by Jambolet Updated Jul 12, 2006

We booked a Lod boat tour trip from Bratislava to Devin Castle on a boat called The Presov sailing down the River Danube - sounds lovely but it was not.

We shared our boat with children on a school trip and a large group of handicapped people - we were the only people on our own and it was an absolute nightmare.

The boat was absolutely filthy and everything was geared to the school children's trip when we got to Devin Castle so we could not even get a drink.

Judging by this trip and the state of the boat I would not recommend anyone travels on a Lod Tours boat trip at all whilst in Bratislava.

• gosiaPL's Profile Photo

The castle can be somewhat disappointing...

by gosiaPL Updated Jun 27, 2006

All covered with plaster

The Castle can be disappointing, particularly its courtyard with all the walls covered in plaster and and showing no architectural details. Frankly, it didn't feel like it was a castle at all. I must say the Hrad looks more attractive from the outside and far more impressive from a distance when you see it atop the hill.
    Still, it's worth to see it, and the view from the Castle hill is quite stunning.

• Castles and Palaces

• gosiaPL's Profile Photo

The New Bridge and the UFO restaurant

by gosiaPL Updated Jun 27, 2006

It's just plain ugly!

The UFO restaurant was closed down but this did not concern me at all. The bridge is a vital, busy artery that connects the Old Town and the Petrzalka district but I find this UFO thing simply ugly plus it does look neglected. On top of that, it fits the nearby Old Town and St. Martin's Cathedral like a fist to the nose. To me, it was just an example of the 1970's communist obsession to make capital cities look "modern" - I know this from my own country. And it is sad to find out that a part of the nearby historic area had to be knocked down to build the bridge and the main traffic route.

• Architecture

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

trolley tours

by call_me_rhia Updated Jun 5, 2006

trolley tours through the old town... what a waste of money. The old town is small enough to be visited easily on foot. Does the castle seem unreacheable to you? Then take a bus - it's much cheaper and interesting.

Fun Alternatives: Waste your money in a different way... by having some delicious slovakian wines

• Architecture

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Warning Taxi Rip Off Bratislava Railway Station

by Mikebb Updated Nov 6, 2005

This is where our troubles started

Our day trip came off the rails when we emerged from the station and tried to get a bus/ tram to the old town. We did not have a map and all people we approached could not speak English. After 20 minutes of confusion I approached a taxi driver and asked the price to the Castle. He said 100 of their currency, we jumped in taxi and arrived at castle 3 minutes later. The taxi displayed notice stating charge per km 16 their currency, we went less than 3 km. I handed 100 to the driver and he aggressively demanded 500, he started to argue and I gave the 500 = AU$20,as I was intimidated and did not want to waste the remaining 4 hours of our stay.
    We later found that tram # 1 from city to station costs 30 cents for 2 adults.

• acemj's Profile Photo

None . . . yet

by acemj Updated Jun 15, 2005

The city of Bratislava still feels somewhat authentic. Sure, there are tourists here, but not like in nearby Vienna or in other Eastern European cities like Prague or Budapest. Its sights are understated and therefore a bit under-frequented and that's good news. My suggestion is that you visit soon before this changes.

Pictured here is the Bastova Gate in the Old Town adjacent to St. Michael's Gate.

• Skipka's Profile Photo

Venus

by Skipka Written Mar 14, 2004

venus

Well, honestly to tell a story about the Venus and me :) Bratislava Castle has special exhibition of "golden treasure" all is around the Great Moravian Empire ;) For those who want to have historical explanation should read some serious books. I don't want to write essays here. As I mentioned this exhibition right above this chapter, there is the highlight - Venus. This small statue of woman (well in this century all women with such a body hurry up to fitness and on diet, or those impatient to surgery :)) is presented in every single book and I remember it from the exercise books in History lessons. So, when they finally opened the museum I ran there to see it. I entered nice interior full of great highlights but coundn't find the Venus. I circled the whole area 4 times and bodyguards started to look strange on me... then I simply asked: "Where is the Venus?" They all standing there made such an awesome face and show me the place right behind me, glass triangle with tons of lights around. Well, I looked at it and still couldn't see the Venus. Then at the top of smaller triangle inside I saw the mini funny statue such as taken from Kinder surprise and then rolled in mud and other dirties ;) I was SHOCKED. Such a small statue and that high historical value... That was real tourist trap. Since that I don't believe to pictures at all ;) Everything is different when you see it on your own eyes...

• Skipka's Profile Photo

Winter is coming to Town

by Skipka Written Feb 24, 2004

grassalkovich garden

Well, yesterday I have been in this beautiful garden and remember my Japanese friends who came to visit me one year just in thin jackets. People, if you believe that climate here in Central Europe is mild, forget it... This is fresh picture taken yesterday when it was around -1 degree of Celsius and hard snow... So if you will come in the winter, even in the beginning of spring, don't forget to pack warm clothes. However, weather is crazy all the time and one day should be plus 20 and other one minus 10. El Ninjo probably settled here :)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Tourist prices in the city centre

by HORSCHECK Written Jan 24, 2004

Postcard of Bratislava

Be prepared to pay higher tourist prices in pubs, cafes, restaurants and shops in the city centre around the Main Square (Hlavne namestie). The prices for drinks or postcards might be twice as expensive as in other places. Nevertheless, these tourist places are sometimes just nice for people watching ...

• Trains

• Vlasta's Profile Photo

Sculpture

by Vlasta Written Aug 19, 2003

Sculpture

This sculpture is very interesting and not so easy to find....
    You must look down from the small bridge near St.MichaelĀ“s Tower and you will see it!
    In the middle of high grass and rubbish!
    It is shame!

Instant Answers: Bratislava

Comments

Bratislava Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Bratislava tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bratislava sightseeing.