Bratislava Warnings and Dangers

Helpful yellow paint

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Bratislava

• Do NOT stare at other people

by KIZIKISH Written Jul 20, 2014

I live in Bratislava and here are some of my warning tips for all of you who are planning to visit this city. First of all, do NOT look or even stare at people you don't know, specifically during night time, whether you're in a club or outside on a street. Many local homeboys actually don't like it and therefore you can get in trouble very fast. The same goes with bouncers in the night clubs. Better not look their direction, because they don't like eye contact too and may consider it as a non-verbal assault. When you are walking through the city center during night time, mostly during weekends, you are still pretty safe, as the town is usually crowded, but don't act too extravagant or noisy, as you may also encounter another dangerous group of aggressive morons, hence Bratislava is full of so called tough guy boys. Sadly other problem of the city is, that most of the locals are racist and full of prejudices. On the other hand, you will still find a couple of nice cafe's, bar's or clubs where you can enjoy your free time, and don't get too much shocked if the waiters or waitresses are unpolite to you or don't act nicely. It is just a normal way of slovak behavior (sadly). Enjoy your free time here and just use follow basic precautions like in every other city and stay out of trouble. Bratislava, mainly it's city centre, is perfectly safe during day light and in the night avoid not so safe areas, like Petrzalka, Ruzinov or Vrakuna, but they are far away from the old town and there is no need for tourist going there, since those are just areas full of residential commie blocks.

• Never going back!

by BMcG75 Written Jun 18, 2014

I stayed over night in Bratislava en route to a festival in Austria. I found the people to be unfriendly and the city to be over rated. Our first hour in Bratislava we got a fine of €50 for going 5 minutes over our ticket time. Now, I understand that it is up to the tourist to learn the ways of their place of destination but there was no signs warning of a fine. Or instructing how the ticket system works in Bratislava. €50 for having a €0.70 ticket instead of a €1 ticket is very harsh and will not help Bratislava in the long run regarding tourism, as this bus was from the airport. Don't get me started on the service people that just keep the change without even asking. I really did not like this city, I will never be going back. Besides cheap flights and accommodation this city offers nothing but dirty looks and money grabbing.

• antistar's Profile Photo

Typical Central European City

by antistar Updated Jan 16, 2014

Although there might be some dodgier areas about the city, the old town felt very safe and relaxed. The train station, though, while not particularly threatening, was a real mess, with drunks peeing openly into the street (and mothers letting their kids do the same). It's not a good introduction to a city that is otherwise pleasant, well kept and civilized.

• leics's Profile Photo

Watch your step!

by leics Written Nov 3, 2012

Much of Bratislava's Old Town is cobbled, and that in itself means you need to proceed with a bit more caution than you might otherwise.

Pavements (sidewalks) in the area around the Old Town are not always in good condition. Keep your eyes open for dropped or lifted slabs, holes, the remains of street furniture sticking up and other such trip hazards.

The same applies when you are crossing the roads: watch out for tram lines (which are not raised, but which do have a shoe-heel-sized slot in them, and watch out for potholes.

I'm usually pretty nifty on my feet but even I was caught out in Bratislava, misjudging my step and ending up with a very painful pulled muscle in my upper leg (that's a euphemism, by the way!).

So do watch where you're walking, and take particular care if you have any mobility difficulties.

Helpful yellow paint
    • Disabilities
    • Seniors

• Bar Rip Off's

by ironzy12 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Hey Guys,

An Aussie student, just wanna say,make sure you know how much you drink costs before you order. Most places are good (slovak pub, bar across from charlies) but other bars, the bar tenders will take what you give them and walk off, it may not be much but it adds up. in just over two drinks in BAROK CIRCUS i paid sk100 (euro3) too much. Its not much, but honesty goes along way. I took another travllers tip and asked for a bill, but got some random bill for sk 430. so just pay with what ever it says on the menu in excat change if possible, its a pain in the ass but will save you over the night.

• Study Abroad

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Who Turned on the Rain

by Roadquill Updated Feb 19, 2011

Wow, was my first thought. With only a few minutes of warning, the May sky opened and down came buckets of rain, huge rain drops bouncing off the pavement. Fortunately, I had my waterproof shell, the rain was not cold and I enjoyed it. But Wow!

Rain Pounding the Pavement in Bratislava
    • Photography

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Uneven Cobblestones & Distractions

by Roadquill Written Jun 4, 2010

While Bratislava is a very cool place to walk around, and has a very medieval feel, in many places the cobblestone streets are very uneven and while walking, even the slightest distraction could result in a horrible fall or trip. It occured so often that eventually I simply had to sit down and have a beer.

Distraction in Bratislava
    • Photography

• morgenhund's Profile Photo

Taxis from the Train Station!

by morgenhund Written Jan 30, 2010

I arrived at Bratislave hlavná stanica last night and being in a bit of a hurry decided to opt for a cab. Prior to getting in, I asked the driver how much the fare to the Carlton Hotel (my meeting point) would be. His response was EUR 18-20 (for a 2-3km journey) claiming that EUR 15 was the minimum fare. I said "No thanks!" and immediately was told his friend could do me a EUR 10 fare. In the end I walked and arrived a couple of minutes late - it was only a 15-20 minute walk to the Carlton.

I asked a Slovak last evening if this was a common problem - sadly it is. Her tips were 1) to learn the basic phrases in Slovak to hire a cab (fair enough!) and also to phone for a cab rather take one from outside the station from the taxi rank. The fare should be nearer to EUR 5 apparently.

• CazyDaddy's Profile Photo

Bratislava

by CazyDaddy Updated Oct 5, 2009

I read a from one Slovak that the service in Bratislava is bad. This is not true, I have lived in Slovakia for over 5 years and have found 98% of the service to be very good from a 2 star to a 5 star restaurant. I have been in the Hospitality business for over 30 years and only seen good service with a smile from Restaurant personel in Bratislava when I go there.

Many people tell to be wary of pick pockets. Use your head and you should have no problem.

• Business Travel

• Avoid ticketportal.sk if you are living abroad

by ulo Updated Dec 31, 2008

The homepage of Bratislava opera tells that you can buy tickets from abroad via Ticketportal.sk. What happened in my case is that I signed in on the website, chose a ticket and paid via my card. I got a message that I should pick up the ticket at the main office of Ticketportal.sk in Bratislava.

I went there for the ticket and to my surprise they told me that I had to pay for the ticket once more since they claimed that there was no notification from there bank that I had paid. I could show them the a copy from my bank that I had paid, but they insisted that I had to pay twice. They claimed that their bak/it-system was built in such a way that they had to ask for payment twice. There were 2 girls/women ca 30yr talking to me, very sympathetic, smiling and understanding but the bottom line was that if I want a ticket I had to pay twice.

If you are living outside of Slovakia never use Ticketportal.sk. If you live in Bratislava I believe it is just as easy to go directly to the Opera to get the ticket.

The most surprising thing for me is that the "official" Opera support these people, which for non-slovakians is a scam

• Theater Travel
    • Music

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Watch for your stop

by easterntrekker Written Sep 9, 2008

We missed our stop for the city center ( it is hard to tell) . We ended up getting off in aconstruction area and had to walk a ways and cross under a very dodgey looking underpass to get on a bus heading back. Best to sit up front and ask the driver to let you know when you are near the OLD TOWN.

• Puckfair's Profile Photo

Check your bills

by Puckfair Written May 6, 2008

Check your bills when in restaurants or pubs to ensure u are paying for what u ordered

This seems to be the norm- cause it happened too often to be a coincidence

when u go into pubs- they don't expect u to pay for your drink straight away -its like a tab- and i guess
    if u are in there a long time u would'nt honestly notice the extra entries

It was very obvious in one restaurant when we were been charged for 10 espressos when we had 1 -now this just looked like a mis entry on the keyboard- but other places there would be extra drinks or dishes that we did'nt order
    Handy to keep this in mind- no biggie but useful if u are trying to budget

• VeeVeeJoo's Profile Photo

Money Changers

by VeeVeeJoo Written Mar 29, 2008

Be on your lookout for suspicious looking characters offering to change your money. Be wary of men in sunglasses and fake leather jackets / coats loitering next to high traffic areas. Visit a bank or use credit cards to make purchases. Many or most places now accept credit cards in the Slovak Republic.

• Bouncers

by 10boomboom Written Mar 19, 2008

You normally don't want to act up in a night club, but be especially careful here. These bouncers don't take 1 ounce of crap from anybody. These guys don't even like eye contact. Besides the fact that most of them are packing, they're mostly pretty solid guys. If they say anything to you be as compliant as you can.

• Heavy Racism

by 1MaFk1 Updated Feb 22, 2008

There is alot of racism in Bratislava, even in the inner city and old town. Especially towards people who look 'gypsy'. My friend is portugese, dresses very well and is the embassadors son. Just because of his skin color, he constantly gets harrased by both slovak boys, and police. There are also skin heads in bratislava who prey on anyone who isn't white. But also, if you have longer hair or have the typical 'antifa' look, you can get harrased by these skinheads. My friend whos german was jumped by about 15 skinheads in a park in old town just because his hair wasn't short. Also an African friend came to visit me in the summer, in 1 night alone, we were harrased 3 times and once some guys tried to beat him up, but he was able to get away. My best advice is to not linger around to much outside at night, go to your destination or at least look like your going somewhere. Do not walk around parks at night either. And im sorry to say but, if your not white, police are not likely to help you either...

• Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Bratislava

Comments

Bratislava Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Bratislava warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bratislava sightseeing.