Oravsky Podzamok Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Oravsky Podzamok

• Malý Pivovarý: The home brewery that is really worth visiting

by vikkou Written Jun 26, 2014

The signboard of Mal�� Pivovar��

When we visited Orava the weather was very warm and just on the way to Orava Castle a pleasant woman friendly greeted us and offered to taste beer that their small home brewery just had began to produce. The beer was really excellent and we decided to also have a lunch at their place. I have to say that we were not disappointed: homemade meal was very tasty! The menu is rich and visitors can taste different soups, dumplings, pancakes and other tasty slovakian meals.
    This really excellent home brewery was opened not a long time ago.
    If you are planning to visit this historical place or just travel in northern Slovakia don’t miss this home brewery that offers a pleasant atmosphere and really great food and beer!

Favorite Dish: I liked very much homemade chicken liver that was delicious and, of course, homemade beer!

• Museum Visits

• ishikawa's Profile Photo

Zamocka4: I enjoy Slovak local cooking

by ishikawa Written Jul 28, 2006

A clean restaurant

There is Zamocka4 at an entrance of Orava Castle according to the name. You must go along in front of this restaurant to enter a castle. We have a clean feeling in this restaurant and am delicious even if a meal eats anything. Will not tableware used in a shop be a Hungarian thing? I will not forget a brown, simple pattern if I look once. I always taste Slovak local cooking here.

Favorite Dish: Polievka podla dennej ponuky
    Madarsky gulas / Hungarian Goulash
    Bryndzove Halusky / “Bryndzove Halushky”
    Halusky s kapustou / Sauerkraut dumplings with bacon
    Pirohy s bryndzou / “Pirogue”
    Prirodny hydinovy rezen, ryza / Grilled Chicken Fillet served with Steamed Rice
    Hydinove sote, ryza / Sauteed Chicken Breast served with Rice
    Vyprazany kuraci rezen, zemiaky / Fried Chicken Fillet served with Potatoes
    Vyprazany syr, hranolky, tatarska omacka / Fried cheese
    (Fried cheese breaded in our seasoned flour served with French fries and tartar sauce)
    Buchty na pare / Fruit poppy seeds dumplings
    Pecena klobasa / Grilled Smoked Sausage
    Langos / “Langosh”
    Zemiakova placka / Potato pancake
    Palacinky s dzemom / Fruit Filled Homemade Crepes
    Kysnuta knedla / Leavened Dumplings, Varene zemiaky / Cooked Potatoes, Dusena ryza / Steamed Rice, Hranolky / French Fries, Kecup / Ketchup, Tatarska omacka / Tartar Sauce, Horcica / Mustard, Chlieb / Homemade Bread, Pecivo / Fresh Rolls
    NON-ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES:
    Kofola / Slovakian Style “Root Beer like” Soda, Dzus / Orange Juice, Mineralka / Sparkling Mineral Water, Tonic, Fanta, Sprite, Mineralna voda s prichutou / Flavored Sparkling Mineral Water, Mineralna voda cista / Spring Water, Turecka kava / Turkish coffee, Presso / Espresso, Caj / Hot Tea, Kapucino / Cappuccino
    ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES:
    Vodka, Borovicka, Slivovica / Slivovitz,Fernet Stock, Fernet Stock Citrus, Stock Brandy, Rum, House Wine (Whie and Red)
    BEER ON TAP:
    Zlaty Bazant, Martiner, Tmave pivo / Dark beer,
    BOTTLED BEER: Kelt 12*
    Nealkoholicke pivo / Non-alcoholic beer: Zlaty Bazant 10* Martin 10*

Bistro "Pod hradom": Bryndzove halusky and other highlights

BISTRO

Sorry, we didn't eat in Bistro "Pod Hradom" ("Down the Castle"). But I noticed that they served typical Slovak dishes there. I found Slovak cuisine delicious and more spicy than Czech or Polish one. Various kinds of roasted meat dominate.

There are a couple of dishes that are typically Slovak that I want to bring to your attention. The first is BRYNDZOVE HALUSKY, a serving of dumplings with melted sheep cheese and fried bacon sprinkled on the top. It's the national dish of Slovak Republic and it is usually the least expensive menu item.
    Sometimes, for some reason, they are listed in the dessert section.

Another traditional dish is STARPACKY S KAPUSTOU, dumplings with cabbage and sometimes bacon.

A few other typical dishes served there:

Slovak:
    Bravcovy rezen - breaded and fried pork steak.

Hungarian and Slovak (Slovakia belonged to Hungary till 1919):
    Gulas - Goulash (originally Hungarian dish, I think - Segedinsky gulas)
    Palacinky - Crepe pancakes filled with jam.

Bon apetite :-)

Favorite Dish: I would taste Bryndzove halusky there.

Restaurant Toliar: Do NOT look for restroom/toilet

by matcrazy1 Written Dec 19, 2003

WC = TOILET = RESTROOM / BATHROOM

Do not look for a toilet or a restroom / bathroom in restaurant Toliar and generally in Slovakia. Look for WC (water closet :-) instead - look at my picture.
    There were usually small statues of a woman/lady or a guy/gentleman put on the doors to sign a gender of WC users. Sometimes there was written: MUZI (guys) or ZENY (women) instead.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Restaurant Toliar: For non-smoking? Really?

by matcrazy1 Written Dec 19, 2003

FOR  SMOKING

There was a table for max. 6-8 persons placed in the corner of Toliar restaurant with the sign "FAJCIARI" hanging above as on my picture. It meant: for smoking. Haha, next table was for non-smoking but the smoke from cigarettes was surely spreading through the whole interior.
    Our waiter noticed our surprise and explained that there was a special ventillation installed above the table designated for smokers. Hmm... it was a small hole in a wall below ceiling.

Hotel Oravan Restaurant: At hotel

RESTAURANT  OF  HOTEL  ORAVAN  -  ENTRANCE

There was a restaurant in the ground floor of Hotel Oravan which served some Slovak food. We didn't eat there.

Why? Hmm... whenever I chose a restaurant in low or medium class hotels (esp. larger and old ones) in Slovakia I was somewhat unsatisfied, they were usually more expensive and offered hmm... not the best food. But if you want... your risk :-).

Hostinec: Slovak food

HOSTINEC

It's simple restaurant and pub/bar which served some local food like "halusky" (noodles with goat cheese) and "pirohy" (pierogis). Add homemade Slovak soups.

The Slovak diet relies mainly on pork. The most popular traditional dishes are bryndzove halusky and Hungarian dishes including goulash, I think. Wine, beer, slivovice (plum brandy), and borovicka (an herb-flavored drink), are most popular Slovak beverages. All the above were available in Hostinec restaurant.

Favorite Dish: We didn't eat there (a pity! - maybe next time) but the menu we looked at seemed attractive. I liked a lot either "halusky" and "pirohy" in other restaurants in Slovakia.

Restaurant Toliar: We ate there

RESTAURANT  TOLIAR

We ate our lunch in Restaurant Toliar. When we came in we checked menu and diceded to eat there. Our young waiter was sympathetic and knew a little Polish language but no English. He brought an English menu for Kathy on my request.
    There was only one couple from Poland inside who told us (after we ordered our dishes) that the food they already ate there wasn't good.

Hmm... I was not satisfied about food in this restaurant. It was eatable but not good, I ate better dishes many times in Slovak Republic. Although Slovak beer (Zlaty Bazant) was quite good and roasted potatoes even very good. But I would choose another restaurant next time.

We paid by cash although credit cards were accepted there: at least Visa.

There were wooden tables and benches under umbrellas on a small tarrace with a view towards the castle hill available but it was too cold to sit there.

Favorite Dish: None, OK, maybe roasted potatoes ("zemiaky v supke"). And Zlaty Bazant beer.

Restaurant Toliar: Slovak beer

ZLATY  BAZANT  LOGO

Don't miss delicious Slovak beer. I liked especially Zlaty Bazant (Golden Pheasant) beer in Slovakia.
    Kathy and Urszula (I was a driver) tasted the beer in Toliar Restaurant and they told it was good :-).

We went there to eat lunch. Hmm... I would choose another place to taste beer in Oravsky Podzamok - a pub/bar crowded with natives or even tourists drinking beer just to be more sure that the beer served is fresh (from a new barrel). Hmm... I think that sometimes the owners of pubs try to save some money and don't store the beer at night in appropriate temperature.

Favorite Dish: Zlaty Bazant beer:
    small glass = 0.3 l for (10.14 oz) 15.00 Sk that was $0.42, 0.35 euro or 1.58 zl.
    large glass = 0.5 l (16.91oz) for 25.00 Sk that was $0.69, 0.58 euro or 2.64 zl.

Restaurant Toliar: Chicken breasts in mushrooms

CHICKEN BREASTS IN MUSHROOMS WITH ROASTED POTATOES

Urszula ordered "Kuracie prsia na sampinonoch" which meant chicken breasts in (forest) mushrooms. She was more lucky than me with a duck. But her dish wasn't good as well in my and her opinion. Simply the sauce they added to chicken and mushrooms didn't taste good.

Luckily Urszula additionally ordered roasted potatoes ("zemiaky v supke") which were the best food we tasted in Toliar restaurant.
    It costed 89.00 Sk + 29.00 for roasted potatoes = 118.00 Sk that was was $3.25, 2.74 euro or 12.48 zl.

Restaurant Toliar: Grilovany morcaci rezen

GRILOVANY  MORCACI  REZEN

Unluckily I ordered a dish called "grilovany morcaci rezen" in Slovak language. It was small grilled steak or rather chop made of duck meat with small mixed salad (miesany salat) added. It didn't taste good and the duck was very tough and dry. It tasted like old food warmed up in a microvawe. Did they really warm it up in a microwave? Never mind... don't order it.

It costed 119.00 Sk that was $3.28, 2.77 euro or 12.57 zl.

Bufet: Not recommended

BUFET

There was a small, ugly, wooden house called BUFET placed by our parking lot. They sold there basic food and drinks, mainly local fast food (sandwiches, hot dogs etc.). Hmm...it didn't look neither fresh nor clean.
    Generally I can't recommend you such simple fast food stands in Slovak Republic although food is very cheap there.

Favorite Dish: None.

• Hiking and Walking

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

Big Bear or wild mountain pigs?

by Kodi01 Updated Nov 1, 2003

We stopped at this restaraunt located just below the castle.

Is this a wild pig on the wall? I am not sure, I have never seen one in real life.

Instant Answers: Oravsky Podzamok

Comments

Oravsky Podzamok Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Oravsky Podzamok restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oravsky Podzamok sightseeing.

View all Oravsky Podzamok hotels