Slovensky Raj Warnings and Dangers

ROMA VILLAGE

by wroclawiak Updated Aug 4, 2008

Roma Colony

WARNING

I was hiking whole day and was very tired. I took a red trail to the station in Letanovce. The trail went through a Roma Village (Colony - the colony doesn't have any name - just Roma Colony). As I reached the colony dozen of Roma kids came towards me and begged me for some money. I became a victim. ;-) First I wanted to ignore them but I was not able to get rid of them. I gave some coins but it was not enough. More kids came towards me and followed me begging for some money. After a while they became too cheeky and I was encirkled and I felt trapped. I said in Slovak that I am policeman and it did work. They dissapeared but two other kids joined me after a while and followed me to the station in Letanovce - two kilometers. I bought them a chewing gum packet.

Conclusion:
    I know that their parents manage it and collect the money from them. The kids are only kids therefore I try to understand them.
    If you go through the village take some candies and give them. I will do it if I am there next time.
    Don't go alone and be careful.
    If you take pictures of them you have to pay.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Take Care on the Hikes

by barryg23 Updated Sep 17, 2006

Crossing the Iron Grilles

Some of the hikes in Slovensky Raj can be quite tricky and you'll need to be comfortable using chains, climbing ladders and walking across grilles. If it has been raining these trails can get very slippy and often a little dangerous. Also, one worrying thing I noticed on the blue trail was that many of the iron grilles (used when there was no path to get around the rocks) were a little bit loose. I hope the park authorities are aware of this as if they continue to loosen someone could easily fall. We tested each one carefully before putting our full weight down.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Be sure of your transport options

by barryg23 Written Sep 17, 2006

As I may have mentioned elsewhere on this page, we got back to Cingov, exhausted and tired after a full day's hike only to find we had another 6km still to go. The bus which was supposed to be there at 17.40 was only for July and August - we had forgotten today was the first of September.

The next bus at 19.45 was also only for July and Aug so after numerous failed attempts to speak to taxi drivers in English, French or German we were faced with the unappealing prospect of walking another 6km. Just like in the Polish High Tatras we had reached the end of a trail only to find another long walk ahead of us to where we could find public transport.

In this case it was a very long walk all the way back to Spisska Nova Ves. We were both very tied the walk began so you can imagine how difficult it was. Luckily we had a map and we still had plenty of food. I don't think I've ever drank so much sprite in a single day and I was on my third pack of Jo-Jo's (Slovakian sweets). It took over an hour to get to Spisska Nove Ves, via Smizany. We stopped only once to buy more sprite. Darkness was falling though we found the bus station easily enough and took a bus back to Levoca.

I would advise anyone doing similar hikes to plan their transport beforehand. Maybe try find a taxi firm that speaks English or prearrange a taxi beforehand.

Instant Answers: Slovensky Raj

Comments

Slovensky Raj Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Slovensky Raj warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Slovensky Raj sightseeing.

View all Slovensky Raj hotels