Zuberec Local Customs

WOOD FOR FIRE

Most Recent Local Customs in Zuberec

Wood for fire

WOOD  FOR  FIRE

I noticed a lot of cut wood stored around local houses in Zuberec. Usually locals buy (or bring from forest) larger wooden logs and cut it in smaller pieces by themselves with an axe and hand saw or more and more often with electric/diesel saw.
    They used wood for fire on a grill in Penzion Timea. Some (minority) natives use wood to heat their houses as well. But most houses are heated with hot water heated in coal stove nowadays.

• Hiking and Walking

In local hat

IN  LOCAL  HAT

I didn't notice any natives in local, folklore costumes. Instead, I noticed this guy in local (?) hat over his head. Notice small shells put on the hat. It's typical hat for Polish region of Podhale located across the border, north of the Tatra Mountains.
    And I noticed some older women in a kerchief - a square piece of cloth worn around the neck or on the head.

He liked beer, too!

GOAT

There were quite a lot she-goats bred by locals for milk and then home-made cheese in Zuberec. The goat cheese, I tasted was a little sour - not my favourite. But sheep, home-made, smoked cheese called "syrove korbaciki" was delicious.
    And we met he-goat (on my picture) who simply liked us and our aroma (of Zlaty Bazant beer :-).

• Photography
    • Beer Tasting

Friendly locals

TOMAS

The owner of our Timea Penzion - Tomas - was very, very sympathetic guy, always ready to help. He didn't know English but a little Polish which is similar to Slovak.
    Additionaly we met some natives in local pub (only one opened in the evening on Saturday) and after maybe 20 min. we were sitting together. Haha, they taught us singing Slovak songs and we taught them singing Polish ones. So, we drank beer and sang together :-).

Instant Answers: Zuberec

Comments

Zuberec Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Zuberec local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Zuberec sightseeing.