Zuberec Travel Guide

TOURIST INFORMATION SIGN
    NEW HOUSE

Zuberec Restaurants

• Our roasted pig

We ate breakfasts, lunches and diners in our pension - Penzion Timea. Food was served in a dining room which could room half of us at once. Although local, home-made dishes were cheap and simple no-one complained as they were very good. Additionaly we bought beer in a local grocery and... drank it there. The best was small, roasted pig specially...

• Zlaty Bazant beer was the best!

They didn't serve us beer in Penzion Timea. We bought a lot of beer (for 40 guys :-) ourselves in advance. The following beer ("pivo" in Slovak) brands were available:- Zlaty Bazant (9 or harder 12) - the best Slovak beer in my opinion,- Urpin - a little worse and... more expensive,- Saris - not my favourite,- Tatran - numbered brands 10, 11, 12,...

• Zuberec Hotels

0 Hotels in Zuberec

Zuberec Transportation

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    SLOVAK  AND  POLISH CAR :-)

by matcrazy1 Updated Jan 28, 2004

Zuberec is located close to Poland and 13 km east of international highway E-77 = local highway 59 (Krakow, Poland - Banska Bystrica, Slovakia - Budapest, Hungary).

I got to Zuberec with my friends by a car. We crossed Polish-Slovak border in Korbielow - Oravska Polhora and drove highway 521 to Namestovo, then highway 520 to Tvrdosin where we took international highway E-77 south to village Podbiel where we turned left (east) to Zuberec.

The traffic was very light, highways better (= not so bumpy) and cars... older (worse) than in Poland. It seems that Slovakia has more natural way of development (first roads then cars) than Poland hehe.

Road distances to Zuberec:
    - Chyzne - Trstena (Polish border crossing point) - 25 km (16 mi),
    - Oravsky Podzamok - 30 km (19 mi),
    - Poprad - 91 km (57 mi),
    - Banska Bystrica - 110 km (68 mi),
    - Sahy (Hungarian border) - 202 km (125.5 mi),
    - Bratislava - 328 km (204 mi).

- Krakow, Poland - 124 km (77 mi),
    - Budapest, Hungary - 305 km (189.5 mi),
    - Prague, Czech - 479 km (298 mi),
    - Wien, Austria - 391km (243 mi).

How to get there by bus/train?
    There are direct scheduled buses from nearby Slovak cities and from Nowy Targ, Poland and Jablonka, Poland: Bus connections - Zuberec
    Train connections - Zuberec

Zuberec Shopping

VECERKA  -  LOCAL  GROCERY

by matcrazy1 Updated Jan 14, 2004

We bought some food and beer in small grocery on our itinerary to Zuberec. We were afraid not to find any opened grocery later in Zuberec. And we were right!

Notice that they close stores in countryside earlier than in Poland so often it's difficult to find opened grocery after 6.00 pm especially on Saturday and Sunday. The only possibility is to do shopping in some (NOT all offer food) petrol/gas stations but they offer more expensive food or to drive to closest city.

Groceries which stay opened longer including weekends are called "vecerka" which can be translated: "evening store" (vecer = evening).
    There was much less choice of food than in Poland in local groceries but all basic products were available and both basic food and beer was cheaper than in Poland.

What to buy: Syrove korbaciki (not always available) - local, sheep, smoked cheese.
    Slovak beer - I liked Zlaty Bazant 12 or 9 (Gold Pheasant) most.

What to pay: One bottle (0,5 l = 16,91 oz) of Zlaty Bazant 12 (there was 9, softer beer as well) costed 16 Sk = $0.44 = 0.37 euro = 1.69 zl.

• Beer Tasting

Zuberec Local Customs

• Wood for fire

I noticed a lot of cut wood stored around local houses in Zuberec. Usually locals buy (or bring from forest) larger wooden logs and cut it in smaller pieces by themselves with an axe and hand saw or more and more often with electric/diesel saw. They used wood for fire on a grill in Penzion Timea. Some (minority) natives use wood to heat their...

• In local hat

I didn't notice any natives in local, folklore costumes. Instead, I noticed this guy in local (?) hat over his head. Notice small shells put on the hat. It's typical hat for Polish region of Podhale located across the border, north of the Tatra Mountains.And I noticed some older women in a kerchief - a square piece of cloth worn around the neck or...

• He liked beer, too!

There were quite a lot she-goats bred by locals for milk and then home-made cheese in Zuberec. The goat cheese, I tasted was a little sour - not my favourite. But sheep, home-made, smoked cheese called "syrove korbaciki" was delicious.And we met he-goat (on my picture) who simply liked us and our aroma (of Zlaty Bazant beer :-).

Zuberec Warnings and Dangers

• Don't drink too... fast :-)

Slovak beer was delicious and addictive, believe me. Additionaly it was inexpensive, over 30% cheaper than in Poland in 2000. So we started with Zlaty Bazant 12 (Golden Pheasant) we bought in a grocery before. After 5 beers (2.5 l) I had to take longer break. I was lucky to find this fence on my picture :-). We were in a group of maybe 40 friends -...

• Too small pig

This small pig on my picture tasted delicious. But it gave too little food for forty hungry guys. Notice that when you drink beer you want to eat (the same effect I noticed after... olives). So, we should order at least 2 such small pigs. By the way, you can order small lamb as well but mostly in fall and spring time. And always a few days in...

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Zuberec? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Zuberec What to Pack

IN  ZUBEREC

by matcrazy1 Updated Jan 14, 2004

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Comfortable walking shoes preferrably water-resistant: like good trainers or better special walking shoes (Danish Ecco are very comfortable and... expensive but worth the cost).
    Sun-glasses esp. in winter and summer and always a rain coat.

Read info on climate in Slovakia:
    Climate of Slovakia

Check weather (4-day forecast)
    - for Orava region (in Slovak language): Weather forecast for Orava
    - for Trvdosin (18 km northwest of Zuberec): Weather forecast for Trvdosin
    Remember that the weather changes very fast in this mountaineous area!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Toilet paper, soap (small bottle of liquid soap), paper towels or tissue papers. Usually available in public toilets (restrooms) but... not always.

Photo Equipment: For pictures at night and bad light (weather) take a tripod.

Miscellaneous: If you are going to climb the mountains buy good map of the area, detailed with mountain trails marked. There are maps covering whole Slovakia by VKU (Vojensky Kartograficky Ustav) which are numbered (area by area) and the best in my opinion. Available in bookstores in Dolny Kubin or Liptovsky Mikulas and sometimes (rarely) in bigger petrol/gas stations.

• Hiking and Walking

Zuberec Off The Beaten Path

• Village and surroundings

The village of Zuberec is small (pop. approx. 1,700) although more and more touristy as my friends, who were there a few times, noticed. But Zuberec was not crowded, rather empty when I was there. I think that the high season is in winter there when people go there for skiing (usually December - February). Highlights of Zuberec: - fresh air,...

• Mountains

Zuberec is located 760 m (2493 ft) above sea level in a valley between mountain ranges of:- Skorusinske Vrhy to the west (summit Skorusina 1314 m = 4311 ft) - western part of Tatra mountains - the highest mountains both in Slovakia and in Poland - to the east (summit Salatin 2050 m = 6726 ft).The most amazing views were just eastwards towards...

• To milk a goat ?

We met this goat walking around Zuberec after drinking a few beers. The goat seemed to be very interested about us and satisfied about our visit, more: he even liked fragrance of Zlaty Bazant beer, I suppose. Hmm... one of us wanted... to milk a goat. Luckily he didn't try it. I was not sure whether the goat had accepted it. We say in Poland "raz...

Zuberec Sports & Outdoors

BICYCLE  BY  LOCAL  GROCERY

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I noticed quite a lot of locals riding a bicycle and not exclusively for recreation. There were not special, designated for bicycles trails but 2 of my friends rode by bicycle up to hot thermal springs in Oravica.

Zuberec is good destination for skiing and snowboarding lovers as well. Some of my friends booked Penzion Timea for next winter holiday. And they told that there were well prepared (better than in Poland) ski trails and lighted ski trail + ski lift cheaper than in Poland close to Penzion Timea (on walking distance).

Equipment: Equipment for skiing/snowboarding is available to rent in Zuberec.

• Cycling
    • Skiing and Boarding

Zuberec Favorites

TOURIST  INFORMATION  SIGN

by matcrazy1 Updated Jan 14, 2004

Favorite thing: Official page of Zuberec (in English, German, Polish and Slovak): Welcome in Zuberec

Unofficial webpage (in Slovak and Polish):
    Western Tatra mountains

Tourist Information Office (TIK = Turisticka Informacna Kancelaria) Zuberec - follow the direction sign as on my picture or contact:
    phone/fax: +421 (43) 5320 777
    phone: +412 (43) 5395 197
    mobile phone: +421 (903) 548080
    e-mail: tatrainfo@stonline.sk

Fondest memory: Party with my friends :-))).

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Zuberec

Comments

Explore Deeper into Zuberec
Friendly locals