Kranj Things to Do

  • Things to Do
    by viddra
  • Things to Do
    by Willettsworld
  • Things to Do
    by Willettsworld

Most Recent Things to Do in Kranj

  • Willettsworld's Profile Photo

    Layer House

    by Willettsworld Written Sep 24, 2006

    3 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    In Tomšièeva ulica stands the house (number 32) where Leopold Layer, one of Slovenia’s most prominent painters, worked and died at the turn of the 18th century. With his workshop and techniques Layer mastered the whole Gorenjska region and over its border. The house is an important cultural monument because it housed the workshop of Leopold Layer (1752 – 1828) and his successor Egartner, and because of its architectural value.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Willettsworld's Profile Photo

    Tavcarjeva ulica

    by Willettsworld Written Sep 24, 2006

    3 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This charming quiet pedestrian back street runs north to south in the eastern part of the Old Town. It has several charming old houses located on it including Haynes House and Bleiweis House in the northern section and the Tollhouse in the southern section along with the grand buildings of the Presbytery and Central Library.

    Was this review helpful?

  • Willettsworld's Profile Photo

    Pavslar’s House

    by Willettsworld Written Sep 24, 2006

    3 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This is another house that dates from the 15th century and originally consisted of three independent dwellings that were then made into one in the 16th century. Further reconstructions were carried out in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries to give it its present form. The late Gothic frescoes date from about 1526 and were discovered on the outer walls in 1967/68 and 1989. They represent St. Christopher, St. Florian, St. Sebastian, St. Nicholas, Ana Samotreja and others.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Willettsworld's Profile Photo

    Petrcek’s House

    by Willettsworld Written Sep 24, 2006

    3 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    I think this house was built in 1495 and was owned from new until the 17th century by the aristocratic family known as the Egks. In the first half of the 18th century its owners were the Floding barons. It then passed into the hands of many merchants and brewers until Mihael Pagliaruzzi bought it and reconstructed it between 1834 and 1847. This renewal gave the house its classical character, mostly expressed by its main façade with a pillar portal, colonnade vestibule, staircase and courtyard arcades. The house was then owned by the famous Kranj family called Mayr from 1855.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Willettsworld's Profile Photo

    Gorenjska Regional Museum

    by Willettsworld Written Sep 24, 2006

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    4 more images

    This regional archaeological and ethnological museum in the Town Hall charts the history of Kranj over 750 years through various artefacts such as furniture (including a large collection of storage trunks), musical instruments, tools, pots, paintings, china, silverware, costumes etc. There is also a section on pre-historic life in and around the city with early stone-age tools and pots and also some Roman remains. Well worth going to.

    Open: 10am-6pm Tues-Sun. Closed Monday's. Admission: 500SIT.

    Related to:
    • Archeology
    • Historical Travel
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • Willettsworld's Profile Photo

    Town Hall

    by Willettsworld Written Sep 22, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    4 more images

    The Town Hall on Glavni trg is formed from the joining of two buildings. The first building, with the colonnade portico on the corner that contains a Roman sarcophagus, and clock tower, is the Old Town Hall that was built in the early 16th century. The second building was a former aristocratic mansion dating from the first half of the 17th century. The main entrance is through this building and features two early Slavic graves in the entrance hall that date from the 9th and 10th centuries. The building features a splendid Grand Hall on the first floor which has a wooden Renaissance ceiling and portals. The building, today, houses the Gorenjska Regional Museum with an ethnological collection and an archaeological display.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Willettsworld's Profile Photo

    Khislstein Castle

    by Willettsworld Written Sep 22, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    1 more image

    Most of what is seen today was built in the 15th century when the Turks invaded. The whole area used to be fortified under the Romans right up to the Middle Ages. In the middle of the 16th century, Janez Khisl from Fužine bought the castle and converted it into a residential manor that was named Khislstein after him (1578). Later owners of the manor included the aristocratic Mosconni and Ravber families. In the 18th century, it was owned by the Apfaltrer and Auersperg families. At the end of the 18th century, Natalis Pagliaruzzi became its owner. His successors kept the manor until 1913 when it became state property. It today houses offices of the Institute for the Protection of Natural and Cultural Heritage, the Gorenjska Museum, and a public art gallery.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Willettsworld's Profile Photo

    Pungert Tower

    by Willettsworld Written Sep 22, 2006

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This three-story circular defence tower was built in the 16th century and is the only completely preserved tower in the city’s defence wall. The tower was reconstructed several times, and in the first half of the 19th century, the annex for a staircase was added. In 1833, it was converted into the city jail and later rebuilt for residential use.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Willettsworld's Profile Photo

    Church at Pungert

    by Willettsworld Written Sep 22, 2006

    3 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    1 more image

    This church stands in the area known as Pungert which is at the southernmost tip of the Old Town. It was built in the 1470’s as a plague church and is dedicated to Saints Rok, Fabian and Sebastian who protected the faithful from the plague. The bell tower was added to the presbytery in the 18th century and the entrance porch was added in the second half of the 19th century. Inside, which was closed when I visited, is a Baroque altar with a painting of the three saints entitled Intercessors against the plague from 1773 by the Austrian Baroque artist Martin Jocahan Kremser Schmid. Today, the church is used by the Serbian Orthodox Christians.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Willettsworld's Profile Photo

    Rosary Church

    by Willettsworld Written Sep 22, 2006

    3 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This church is dedicated to the Holy Mother of the Rosary and was built in the first decade of the 16th century above the lower city gate. In the 1570’s it served as a place of worship for Protestants and during this period all the original furnishings were lost. The church was completely renovated in 1892 and a great many of its historical features were removed. Today, the church doesn’t look like it’s being used and, indeed, was closed when I visited.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Willettsworld's Profile Photo

    Plecnik’s Arcades & fountain

    by Willettsworld Written Sep 22, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    2 more images

    Slovenia’s famous architect, Jože Plečnik, designed this monumental entrance to the Old Town between 1953 and 1959. It involved the construction of arcades along the presbytery of the Rosary Church, the installation of a fountain, and the reconstruction of the façade of a house near the top of the slope.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Willettsworld's Profile Photo

    Lapidary and fountain beside church

    by Willettsworld Written Sep 22, 2006

    3 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    On the southern side of the parish church is the Majdiè fountain, the work of the sculptor Franc Berneker, with statues of John the Steadfast (Janez Nepomuk) and the Queen. The lapidary features Roman and medieval epitaphs built earlier in the walls of the parish church or found elsewhere in the town. They were all placed here between 1971-2 during the squares reconstruction.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Willettsworld's Profile Photo

    Parish Church Interior

    by Willettsworld Written Sep 22, 2006

    3 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    4 more images

    The vaulted roof inside the church was built after 1452 and the original paintings on the joints were re-discovered during renovations in 2004. The central star is painted with vegetation decorations and frescos of angels (workshop of the master of Žirovnica, 1461). The original winged altar of the church, made in 1500, was sold to Vienna. The present altar with sculptures by France Gorše and colour windows are newer (architect Ivan Vurnik, 1934, painter Stane Kregar, 1969).

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Willettsworld's Profile Photo

    Parish church exterior & history

    by Willettsworld Written Sep 22, 2006

    3 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    2 more images

    The parish church is dedicated to four saints: Cantius, Cantianus, Cantianilla and Protus. The current church dates from around 1400 and is built on the location of an earlier church that was built in the 6th century. This church was then damaged by Hungarian invasions in the 10th century. On the portal of the current church there is a preserved and renovated Gothic relief of the Mount of Olives that dates from 1460. The square hall-like nave was built later, along with the bell tower that rises above the entry façade.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Willettsworld's Profile Photo

    Prešeren’s monument

    by Willettsworld Written Sep 22, 2006

    3 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    In the square beside the parish church is this large bronze statue to Slovenia’s greatest poet, Dr. France Prešeren (1800-1849) who lived and died in the town. It was sculpted by Frančišek Smerdu and Peter Loboda and erected in 1952.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Kranj

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

93 travelers online now

Comments

Kranj Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Kranj things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kranj sightseeing.

View all Kranj hotels