The Teutonic Knights of the Cross established this monastery in 1230. The original Gorhic elements of the complex underwent much rebuilding over the centuries, and today it is of a primarly Renaissance and Baroque character. The Church of Our Lady of Mercy was erected between 1714 and 1715.
After being torn down in 1715, the Church of Our Lady of Mercy was rebuilt in Baroque style, and it was the first Baroque building in the region.
The name of Križanke is derivated from "križanki", and it is the slovenian name for the Knights of the Cross.