LOCAL CURRENCY, Ljubljana

by sabsi
  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

by HORSCHECK Updated Oct 14, 2011

Tolar (until 2006), Euro (since 2007)

I must admit, that even on my arrival in Slovenia in Summer 2004 I wasn't really sure about the name of the Slovenian currency. I only knew its abbreviation which is SIT.

The official name of the currency is Slovenian Tolar. The exchange rate is mostly fixed, but when exchanging at an exchange office it is recommended to check if a commission will be added.

Update 2007:
    Slovenia joined the Eurozone on the 1st January 2007, which means that since then the Euro is the official currency in the country.

• Trains

• WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?

by sabsi Updated Jan 9, 2005

Tolars

I enjoyed the local currency - Tolar - very much. It felt great to count money and feel like a millionaire when paying a bill of 29,700 for a dinner. It didn't feel so great to calculate how much it would have been in Euro though so I just refused to do it ;)

As of January 9th 2005 it goes like this:
    1 Euro = 232.878 Slovenian Tolar (SIT)
    1 Slovenian Tolar = 0.004294 Euro

So, our bill in the restaurant was around 127 EUR if I haven't made a mistake in calculation logic again :)

I went home with a pocket full of coins because all the locals at the meeting gave me some when they realised that I was so excited. Some of them even gave me notes. I think this wouldn't happen anywhere else ;) Thanks very much :)

Instant Answers: Ljubljana