Orto Bar, Ljubljana

Know about this? Rate It!

• freshmaker's Profile Photo

Orto Bar: Orto Bar

by freshmaker Updated Sep 12, 2002

I checked out the Orto Bar because Oja (please check her page for good Ljubljana info) said it was her favorite place and she seems to have similar tastes to me when it came to bars. I am glad I went because this bar made me feel at home. Most of the clubs I have been to here in Europe have been nice but not really my scene. I am not a raver or into posh parties or guest lists. I like indie rock, dreamy brit pop, thrift stores, the art scene, and people who are comfortable with themselves. I like people who are authentic, not pretending to be something important. I like a mix of people, ages,interests, styles, it creates a good mood. Ravers are good people but it just isn't my scene, the Orto Bar is. It was like many of the bars I visit in Chicago, I felt totally at home (except that I don't understand Slovenian). The people were very friendly, the music was good, and Arthur was in the house so I was happy. It was a bit of a walk but really, Ljubljana is not THAT big, 20 minutes and I was back at the hotel. Well worth it, my only regret is I couldn't stay longer. Arthur couldn't persuade me to miss my flight (yet I wonder perhaps he was right again).

Dress Code: Whatever makes you comfortable.

• Orto Bar: Ljubljana's number one - Timeless

by rudeguards Written Aug 9, 2005

Ljubljana's number one party place. Concerts during weekdays, usually DJ's weekends. The best music in town. Gets crowded Fridays and Saturdays, by youngsters, but if you can still stand, after 2AM it gets great. And it lasts and lasts... until the sunshine is there... staff and guards seem strict and serious, but they are cool. The bolded DJ is a jerk but roles good music. A must try!!! Don't leave Ljubljana without passing there!!!

• Orto Bar: Drink here!

by Ludogoesaway Written Nov 6, 2005

Having just come back from Slovenia and gone to Orto Bar based on the recommendations here, I made a 'somewhat' drunken promise to myself at 1AM in the morning on the Friday after walking out with a bunch of Slovenians that we had just met there and spent time drinking, chatting and playing table football with that I would write a glowing recommendation to ensure that more people get to visit this gem of a place. Got there around 9, got given free popcorn, found the table football, met a lot of people. DEFINATELY the friendliest bar in Ljubljana, great atmosphere, no idiots... does exactly what I want a drinking establishment to do. Its a somewhat alternative place, in terms of music and people, though that generally true of Slovenia (e.g. Metelkova). Concerts upstairs, decent male/female ratios... go... have a great time.

• Beer Tasting