From 1951 to 1957 the complex of Križanke was altered by the greatest Slovenian architect Jože Plecnik, afterwards it became a center for cultural activities.
According to Plecnik's design, the porch of the lapidarium is supported by columns from the arcades of the Ducal Palace, which was demolished by the earthquake in 1895.
This was the last major project made by J. Plecnik.
The southern yard of the Church of Our Lady of Mercy was converted inot the venue for the Summer Theatre. In the large courtyard, adjacent the Reception Hall is a herm with a bust of Jože Plecnik, the great Slovenian architect famous for his works whole over the Europe.