Cantina Mexicana, Ljubljana

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 7 Reviews

Knafljev prehod 01 426 93 25

Front of menu
    by painterdave
    baby dish of guacamole!!!
    by painterdave
  • Cantina Mexicana
    by Mahieu
  • painterdave's Profile Photo

Cantina Mexicana: Tex Mex Miss

by painterdave Written Feb 17, 2011

Front of menu

4 minutes from the canal is Cantina Mexicana which looks so good on a hot day with its seating under colorful umbrellas in a garden kind of setting. They have strived to create the Mexican feel with their restaurant, and their margaritas were terrific. But that is where the GOOD Mexican food stopped.
    I lived much of my life in Santa Fe and so I think I know Mexican food and how to prepare it. Even billed as Tex Mex, which is a bit different style, this place was way off the mark.They had other problems, however, which began with the stale and limp chips that were all broken pieces from the bottom of the bag... even the waiter apologized later for this. The salza... had a huge amount of sugar in it and no chili taste at all. I won't even begin to describe my fajitas as they were nothing like I am used to.
    So our visit there was not a good one, and I have read other reviews of this place and they are about the same, mediocure food, etc.

Favorite Dish: The only thing that was good were the margaritas, strong and real lime juice.
    On a hot day, relaxing under an umbrella with an appetizer might be the way to go here.

• Travel with Pets
    • Study Abroad
    • Adventure Travel

• Mahieu's Profile Photo

Cantina Mexicana: Yummie cocktails

by Mahieu Updated May 11, 2007

Situated close to Preseren Square, a bit hidden in an alley, you can find this piece of Mexico in the Slovenian capital. It’s just opposite the very known Cutty Sark pub. I had a delicious Mexican chicken salad, but what I especially remember are the truly tasty cocktails they make. This and the comfy relaxing sofas make it an ideal place to rest for a while after exploring the city.

• zofka's Profile Photo

Cantina Mexicana: mexican for students

by zofka Written Mar 9, 2007

If you wanna try out something which is far from slavic but still tastes amazing then run by Cantina Mexicana, one of two mexican restaurants in center. It is certainly worth a visit, if not for the great food and creative decoration then for the latino looking waitors and their charm.

Favorite Dish: anything tastes good and if you have a student kupon are you quarantied a full stomach for it. They overload you with good food

• clivedinburgh's Profile Photo

Cantina Mexicana: Watch out for the huge starters

by clivedinburgh Updated Oct 27, 2005

Large restaurant with two floors of seating.

Very frindly staff and great food.

Favorite Dish: The plate of tortillas was meant to be a starter but almost couldn't eat the burrito I'd chosen for the main course. All excellent.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Cantina Mexicana: Slovenian Salsa?

by rexvaughan Updated Oct 17, 2005

We were surprised to find a pretty good Mexican restaurant in Ljubljana but it offered a nice change of pace and we were not disappointed.

We did not go inside but there was a large outdoor seating area which was very pleasant and attractive. Our waitress was quite good and had a good sense of humor. When we sat down, she said "Good evening." I replied "Buenos Noches" and she laughed and said "Buenos Noches." The restaurant is off the street down a passageway so there is no traffic noise.

Favorite Dish: My wife had a margarita to start which she said was very good. I had sangria and found it a little bland and weak. We had a huge and delicious salad, tacos and burritos. All were very good and we walked away, as usual, too full but happy.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Contina Mexicana: Mexican

by barryg23 Written Jan 23, 2005

Ruth at Contina Mexicana

On our last night in Ljubljana, having returned from Bled, we didn't have too much time and we were fairly lazy about choosing a restaurant and ended up at this Mexican place. The food was reasonable, poor in comparison to what we had in Bled. The highlight was the drink we had with the meal - a concoction of lime, banana liquer and cactus juice.

• anaiis's Profile Photo

Cantina Mexicana: longing for mexican food in europe?

by anaiis Updated Nov 26, 2003

In a very nice, pleasant ambience you will be spoiled with mexican food. Dark blue painted walls with some red contrast, candels and iron combined chairs with cactus on the table might be a place to get romantic or just chatting in a larger group. Usually music is not too loud and does not lack of taste.

Favorite Dish: chicken with peanuts sauce, rice and bitter chicory, you can also have a vegetarian meal, prepared lunch is served from 11h-16h and the price of the lunch is very favourable (less than 10 USD). Ordering a la carte is slightly more expensive. Reservation in advance is not necessary since there is enough room, but if you have special preferences (smoking or non-smoking area) I recommend you do so.

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: Ljubljana

Comments

Hotels Near Cantina Mexicana
3.5 out of 5 stars