Gostilna AS, Ljubljana

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 7 Reviews

Knafljev prehod

• Main Course - not unlike college cafeteria fare
    Main Course - not unlike college...
  • Tasteless
    Tasteless "timbale" of tuna tartar with...
    Shrimp Risotto
  • Paisleypaul's Profile Photo

Gostilna AS: Top Tolar !

by Paisleypaul Updated Nov 12, 2005

Seating inside !

According to a guide this is about the most expensive restaurant there is in Ljubljana. When we arrived they kind of talked us out of referring to the menu so between four of us we took their recommendation, I went for fish rather than meat.
    The first dish was mixed seafood, langoustine, oyster, scallop , razor clams and mussels.
    The second dish was a large linguine with an improbable amount of fresh lobster meat ! Next up was red snapper from the small Slovenian Adriatic coast with seasonal vegetables and finally a small desert, With some wine and a few beers we were not much over £30 / EU45 per person, Cannot think of anywhere in the UK that we would have got so much lobster just on that second dish for the same amount !

Favorite Dish: The lobster linguine second course was truly remarkable ; the red snapper nice also (your choice form red snapper or sea bass or other 'catch of the day')

• Wine Tasting

• Pete_Barnett's Profile Photo

Gostilna As: Gourmet experience in Ljubljana

by Pete_Barnett Updated Apr 4, 2011

Gostilna As

Came across this place by accident. We were looking for somewhere to have dinner on a Sunday evening in Ljubljana, and after half an hour of searching around the city centre discovered the Gostilna As in a small side street off Wolfova, less than 50 metres from Presernov trg.
    Diners can eat in the small restaurant area, or as we did in small rooms, according to the size of your party. This was really enjoyable as the decor was kind of nineteenth century and made for a nice atmosphere.
    There is no set menu here - the food is presented in several courses, gourmet style, according to the whim of the chef and Maitre d!! We chose a fish theme and were served an octopus salad, herring, sole, fish cakes, even caviar amongst other dishes.
    The service was excellent and very friendly and the food was presented nicely. After the meal we tried a selection of locally produced liquers.
    Needles to sat that it was pricey, but for a special occasion or blowing your excess tolars at the end of a holiday it is a great treat.
    Open every day 9am - 2am.

Favorite Dish: Everything really. It was nice to be able to try so many different dishes. I particularly liked the clams (coquilles) and other shellfish dishes.

• Gostilna AS: Give this a miss

by Scribblerette Written Aug 30, 2010
    Tasteless

Based on a few other reviews and their very impressive website, my husband and I were really looking forward to dining at Gostilna AS. Sorry to say this was our most disappointing meal. Ever!

The one positive note is that the atmosphere is very nice. The restaurant is beautifully appointed, charming and romantic. Sadly, positive ends there.

The food was average at best. Forget about those beautiful fixed priced menus advertised on their website. We were told that the one we wanted wasn't available. And, as other have indicated, we were discouraged from ordering from any of the others by our waiter. We did "as recommended" and ordered the fish specialty of the day.

"Amuse bouche" was a "timbale" of tuna tartar sandwiched around an avocado puree. It was nicely presented. Unfortunately, it had no taste. Even a good sprinkling of salt couldn't bring up any flavor.

The appetizer was the height of the meal -- a shrimp and risotto. This was very tasty (albeit, this time oversalted) and the risotto was nicely cooked.

The main course was the fish that was to be baked in a "special way." The fish was NOT fresh and the preparation was boring at best. So: frozen fish, in beige, oily, tasteless sauce with overcooked, mealy potatoes. It was only a small stretch to be reminded of college cafeteria food.

Dessert (granted I'm a fan of desserts) was forgettable.

To add salt to the wound, the bill (for "amuse bouche", appetizer, main course, shared dessert and 1/2 bottle of local wine) came to 140 Euro for two (at today's rate of exchange, approx $177. U.S.). We will pay this for a "special occasion meal" for a good dining experience, but this was highly overpriced for mediocre. I regret we didn't just go for a simple Mexican meal a few doors down.

OTHER simpler meals we had in small cafes in town were delightful, delicious and much easier on the wallet.

Give this a pass!

Favorite Dish: Afraid there was no positive to this meal except the ambiance.

• Business Travel
    • Luxury Travel

• Gostilna AS: VERY DISAPPOINTING

by PGuptaSFCA Written Jan 2, 2008

After hearing such rave reviews, I was extremely excited (especially as a self-confessed Foodie). Unfortunately, the actual place did not live up to the 'hype'. While the food itself was good (though not excellent), the service was extremely unprofessional. Service was slow and not to be found anywhere when needed. We felt fortunate when we were able to get our waiters attention. The waiter took a couple reminders regarding our water and even then got it wrong. When I asked about recommendations (given the modus operandi of the restaurant), I was told it was all on the menu. When I ordered an appetizer listed on the menu, I received something different and was told 'we don't really go off the menu'. The main course came at least a half hour after the appetizers and my beef was only lukewarm indicating it was waiting for my partner's pasta (a mistake usually reserved for novice restaurants). The bill was a bit over 80 Euros and I noticed an overcharge on my beef - I was told I was given a different version I had not ordered that was pricier (and no apology). Ultimately, one would be better served going to one of the many other choices and receiving likely better service and a comparable meal at a fraction of the price.

Favorite Dish: Appetizers:
    Symphony: Missing shrimps listed on menu. Seabass itself was a bit unexciting and flavorless which was overcompensated with entirely too much olive oil marination

Seafood stew - light yet creamy with good seafood stock - novelty included being placed in a deep bread bowl with 'handeled' top.

Main:
    Tagliata – sliced beef on open fire and my partner ordered a seafood pasta. Enjoyable with the beef being tender even when cold and not overdone

Pasta was al dente with an inviting sauce though nothing to write home about.

Overall, in cities like Paris or Lyon or areas like Alba, Italy or Beaune, France, I have had much better food, service, and ambience for the same price. In an exciting yet still affordable city like Ljubliana, this simply is not worth it.

• JeanLouisV's Profile Photo

Gostilna AS: A splurge - good ambiance, but fish over-rate

by JeanLouisV Written Jul 26, 2007
    Seafood platter

It is a splurge, and I was set back EURO 69 (single) - so what do you get for it?
    - The atmosphere: eating under a majestuous three still bears some romance;
    - The aperititive is an interesting Slovenian white wine, slightly sparkling and more bitter than champagne, but original in its concept.
    - The starter was a seafood dish of razor clamps, a scallop and a very interesting oyster in a sweet spinach sauce - the best dish of the meal.
    - The main course was a seabass filet, nicely grilled but too dry for my taste, on a rocket bed and good fried potatoes.
    - The desert was a chocolate souffle - Slovenian dark chocolate is almost a match for my native Belgian chocolate - good inside but too spongy outside.
    - The desert wine is a well balanced Skaza Magister.
    - Service is friendly, but with the custom of not showing the menu, so you must calculate fast for keeping in mind the total of the bill. Dangerous when you are not counting.
    In total, the disappointment of the main dish made the bill too expensive - if you take 2 starters, you should be better off and portions are adequate.

Favorite Dish: The oyster cooked in its shell style teppanyaki, with spinach in a slightly sweet sauce.

• Business Travel

• Gostilna AS: The service was brill.

by fitzroy96 Written Feb 23, 2007

Went there on our first night was great and went again on our last night, still great waiters very attentive but the second waiter was like a used car salesman.....didn't tell you what was what in way of prices.....no menus whats that all about (Alfie)
    Wine was a rip off very expensive around 46 Euros, very small portion of Sea Bass ( me being a chef), I had cooked it in my restaurant about 3 days prior and this was like a sardine compared to what I had cooked, and for half the price in London.

Favorite Dish: Beef cooked in Brandy..mmmmmmmmmmm

• Gostilna As: Best Seafood I had in Slovenia!

by nevonna Written Nov 12, 2004

I was dining alone and asked my waiter for a suggestion. He volunteered to design my meal, and I had an awesome 4-course seafood dinner followed by the best blueberry dessert I've ever had.

Favorite Dish: The blueberry cake -- it was light, the blueberries were just tart enough. All desserts I had in Slovenia were good, but this was the best.

Instant Answers: Ljubljana

Comments

Hotels Near Gostilna AS
3.5 out of 5 stars