Gostilna ŠESTICA, Ljubljana

4 out of 5 stars 11 Reviews

Slovenska cesta 40 00386 (0)1 24 20 850

Fairly dark inside too...............
    by leics
    Well....it was dark.........
    by leics
    Mushroom soup served in bread
    by Paisleypaul
  • JeanLouisV's Profile Photo

Gostilna ŠESTICA: Food more like tourist trap

by JeanLouisV Updated Apr 4, 2011
    The average smoked ham

Very friendly service, good menu at very reasonable prices, but beware: the famous Karst smoked ham is not the best (compared to other restaurants I tried); as for my main course, the "spicy country sausage" was just a glorified hot dog of huge proportion. Ice coffee is just coffee with some ice and cream. So don't go there for testing the cook skills.

• leics's Profile Photo

Gostilna ŠESTICA: Tried this one:

by leics Updated Apr 4, 2011

Well....it was dark.........

..because we were too tired to be capable of finding Sokol (which will have to wait until my next visit).

I had the pork and roast potatoes (which aren't just roasted, but roasted then mashed........I'm told they are called 'mangold potatoes'...they are scrummy anyway). That was very pleasant, the meat very tender and the meal very comfort food-y (which I needed at the time). My companion was considerably less impressed with the sausage, which he found remarkably bland (rather like a large hot-dog-type sausage).

However, it was a pleasant enough place, with fairylights and locals and enough local ambience to make one feel that one was actually eating somewhere 'abroad'. And not expensive either, so nothing to complain about.

• Gostilna ŠESTICA: The best restaurant in Ljubljana

by Julialondon Updated Apr 4, 2011

We accidentally came across this restaurant on our last day in Ljubljana. It was split into several sections and we sat in an indoor section that was quite open and airy, and had plants growing everywhere. The waiter came to serve us straight away, which was something we didn't experience in any of the other restaurants, and our food came extermely quickly. The waiter was a really nice man, but seemed a bit uncomfortable when I told him it was the best meal I had had in the city so far.

Favorite Dish: My husband had mushroom soup in a bread bowl, which he really enjoyed. I had beef goulash with dumplings (they were served on the side) and a glass of hot wine. It was amazing! The goulash even had a chilli in it, which topped it off for me because I'm a spicy food fanatic. Top class, which I'd gone there for a full dinner instead of a lunch!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Gostilna Sestica.: We used to eat at Sestica's for dinner.

by Maurizioago Updated Apr 4, 2011

Leaflet.

I asked at Hotel Emonec for half board. Since they don't serve meals, apart breakfast, they sent us to this inn.

Every evening we had the menu of the day consisting of soup, meat or fish and potatoes or salad and a dessert.

Gostilna Sestica is open from 10 a. m. to 11 p. m. It is closed on Sundays and holidays.

Favorite Dish: Once they served us meat with a withe sauce. It was very good. Pity I didn't asked what was the name of that dish.

I also liked their fried cheese.

• leplaya's Profile Photo

Sestica: Slovenian food in a great atmosphere

by leplaya Updated Apr 4, 2011

Sestica (pronounces shestica) is a very nice restaurant that serves traditional slovenian food. It has a lot of variety and is reasonably priced. The best thing about this restaurant is the courtyard seating it has in the summers. The staff is very nice and speaks great English.

The enterance of the place is quiet and it may look like the restaurant is closed, but just walk through the restaurant and you'll see that everyone is outside in the courtyard.

Favorite Dish: if only i could remember what i ate in every restaurant I go to... whatever I had here was pretty good.

• Paisleypaul's Profile Photo

Gostilna ŠESTICA: Say 'Shestitsa' !

by Paisleypaul Updated Apr 4, 2011

Gostilna Sestica - the gable side has the large vi

Value for money but who on earth are they making these portion sizes for ?
    I had mushroom soup in the bread roll (pictured) a main I forget and Slovenian delicacy prekmurska gibanica - delicious! (see picture)

Interesting decor, good service, nice use of daylight in the building

Favorite Dish: Prekmurska Gibanica - madness on a desert plate !

• Wine Tasting

• novsco61's Profile Photo

Gostilna ŠESTICA: Don't miss mushroom soup in bread cup

by novsco61 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I took people from VT meeting to Šestica restaurant and we were very satisfied with food and service.

The food we ordered and was yummi:

- mushroom soup in bread cup
    - njoki with mushrooms and sage
    - roasted trout
    - pile Šestica - yummi dessert
    .....

Very nice and helpful waiter Dule (he also took pictures of us with all ours cameras:)))

• Umea6's Profile Photo

Gostilna ŠESTICA: Šestica

by Umea6 Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is one of the oldest inn in Ljubljana. They serve some locar dishes as well as other specialities.
    They have daily menus which are cheaper that a la carte. The daily menu usually contains soup, main dishe and a desert.
    Althoug they are located on the main street in the centre they have a nice tree garden in the back.
    Closed on Sundays and holiday.

• Sestica: Sestica

by grkboiler Updated Dec 14, 2004

My dessert at Sestica

Sestica is an excellent restaurant with local specialties. The setting is an a courtyard, or you can sit indoors. Service is great. Supposedly, this popular place has been around for since 1776.

Favorite Dish: First of all, don't order the mushroom soup in the bread bowl. Just get the soup. If you get it in the bread bowl, its all bread and about 3 spoonfuls of soup - literally. I should have listened to the waitress when she warned me - "are you SURE you want the bread bowl?"

The main course was probably the best tasting meal I have had in Europe - stuffed calamari. It was incredible.

For dessert, it all looks good, but I had a traditonal Slovenijan dessert called Prekmurska Gibanica, which is a layered cake filled with poppy seeds, apples, cheese, walnuts, and raisins topped with warm melted chocolate.

• travelbug102's Profile Photo

Sestica: Eat with the locals

by travelbug102 Written Sep 29, 2004

group photo time

Great place to eat that's central and has an interior court yard. I've gone here more often than any other place in Ljubljana and never had a bad meal.

Favorite Dish: Try the goulash with bread dumplings. Damn tasty!

• joecooper's Profile Photo

Gostilna Sestica

by joecooper Updated Aug 25, 2002

Gostilna Sestica
    Great place for traditional Slovenian food. Service could be better but the food is good and the price is right. It is a big place so getting a table should not be a problem. Central loaction opposite the 'skyscraper'.

Favorite Dish: Seafood Trieste (Salmon, Cuttle fish, Crayfish), Beef Medallions with Gorgonzola, Union Pivo (Beer).

Instant Answers: Ljubljana