Gostilna SOKOL, Ljubljana

by yumyum
  • Avieira67's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: Try Grilled Squids

by Avieira67 Updated Jul 10, 2013

I had the pleasure to have a lunch in this restaurant some years ago. I am not sure, but I think it was in 2004. At that time, the service was brilliant with reasonable prices.
    I liked a lot the service, the food and the ambience inside this well decorated typical house.
    In 2009 I didn't visit this restaurant, but some friends informed me they don't offer the same quality.
    I just need to visit it again to compare!

Favorite Dish: At that time I liked very much the onion soup. Try it!
    Grilled squids were very good, but they have specialities. Ask for them!

• yumyum's Profile Photo

Restaurant Sokol

by yumyum Written Nov 10, 2011

Restaurant Sokol

I was taken here by two lovely local VTers. We ate in the first room as you enter the place. I don't know how big it is but there seem to be several rooms and also an upstairs area.

The restaurant is located in the heart of the old town near the major attractions.

The restaurant is held in a rustic Slovenian style and the waiters are dressed accordingly. Our waiter spoke excellent English, was very friendly and efficiet. This was on a Monday evening in October 2011.

Favorite Dish: I opted for a dish of venison with sour cherry sauce and strukelji which is some kind of roulade for Euro 16.90. The meat was lovely if a bit much and I thought that 2 small slices of strukelji was not enough in comparison with the amount of meat and sauce.

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Sokol: Fun Slovenian Food (and beer) for Tourists

by travelfrosch Updated Aug 17, 2009

Sokol

Jet-lagged and looking for a simple dining option, we settled on Sokol, the renowned "authentic" Slovenian restaurant in Ljubljana. And it brews its own beer, so how bad could it be?

Well, in truth, it was just fine, if nothing special. Our waiter seemed to enjoy playing his part in full traditional dress, even as he spoke better English than I. He relished explaining the more bizarre menu items, and seemed genuine in his efforts to convey Slovenian culture to us jet-lagged tourists. He was quite happy I decided to sample the house beer, and asked several times if I was enjoying it (I was).

Favorite Dish: Sara tried some mushroom soup in a bread bowl to start, then had some veggie risotto as a main course. I skipped the appetizer (though I did help Sara eat her "bowl") and ordered the "stag steak with porcini mushrooms" as a main course. Sara said her food was fine. As for my dish, while the venison itself was of excellent quality, the "porcini mushrooms" were really standard mushrooms in a salty gravy that tasted like it was from a can. Not altogether surprising, but just a touch disappointing.

The beer, as I mentioned earlier, was an unfiltered home-brew and served in a 1/2 liter rubber-stopper bottle. It was very good.

• Beer Tasting
    • Architecture

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Gostilna Sokol.: A restaurant in the city center.

by Maurizioago Updated Sep 5, 2008

The entrance of Gostilna Sokol.

Gostilna Sokol is a restaurant into a two storey building. It can host up to 250 people.

On the menu there is plenty of meat and fish dishes to choose from. They serve typical Slovene food and also pizza.

The portions at Sokol's are huge.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed very much rice with mushrooms; grilled or fried squids.

• Trains

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Sokol: Lots of local dishes

by easterntrekker Written Aug 22, 2008

Our hostel recommended we come here and we really enjoyed it . I know its geared for tourists but the food was super. The waiters dress in tradional outfits , are very friendly and speak english. I had game meat goulash and my husband had a huge country platter. Pork chops , sausages, beef and " blood pudding" Its a good place to sample the local wine.

40euro with wine for two

• Seniors
    • Singles

• Glorija's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: Local restaurant in the center of Ljubljana

by Glorija Written Oct 6, 2007

Location of Sokol

If you only have the opportunity to eat a single meal while in Slovenia, well, that’s a great pity… But if you find yourself in that predicament, I’d advise you to make your way to this cavernous establishment that’s the most faithful replica of a traditional Slovene gostilna (country inn) to be found in the country’s capital – certainly to judge by its popularity among locals.

As it’s located across from the cathedral in the heart of Ljubljana’s fittingly petite Old Town, it’s also something of a fixture on the city’s tourist circuit, but at the moment, this is to its advantage, as it simply means that it offers English-language menus and service (and a free drink to holders of the Ljubljana Card.)

I found the wait staff consistently helpful and friendly. Among other things, they’re particularly helpful in suggesting the side dishes to order with some of the more unusual Slovene main courses, as well as cautioning you as to which ones are most filling, which is not readily obvious from the menu descriptions. In any case, they’ll invariably recommend you leave room for the gibanica, the multi-flavored sweet pie from Prekmurje (northern Slovenia) that is the closest thing the country has to a national dish, a suggestion I’d certainly repeat to you.

• Gostilna SOKOL: Gibanica

by popi3 Updated Aug 4, 2007

I think was one of the best restaurants I ever visit. Nice local gostina in levels, a beat dark, with the best and friendly stuff i ever meet. The food is exallent, we ate there 3 times, but the best of all is the desert gibanica.
    You must tray absolutely the socol bear and mushroom soup in a bread bowl.

• JeanLouisV's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: Touristy but Not trap

by JeanLouisV Written Jul 25, 2007

Yes, everyone goes there but this time there is a good reason: good food and cheap prices. Mushroom soup for once does not taste like can, and the deer with cherry sauce was good balance between sweetness and bitterness. Home-made beer worth it. Total bill of Euro 21 for one person (me) being filled and happy in the town-center!
    Only drawback is the ridiculous retro (authentic Slovenian) music - after the first laugh, it gets tyring. Fortunately, it is not too loud.

• Business Travel

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: Slovene specialties

by Dabs Written Jun 6, 2007

Country Feast

After arriving in Ljubljana on Sunday evening, we headed out in the light rain to find some dinner, the 1st place we tried was no longer a Bosnian restaurant so we passed on eating there and we went to our 2nd choice, Gostilna Sokol. Gostilna is the name for restaurants that are like inns and usually located in rural areas or on the edge of town but this gostilna is right in the center of the city and very popular so make a reservation if you can, especially if you are going on the weekend.

We didn't have a reservation so we were "exiled" to the non smoking section with all the other tourists. The wait staff was very busy so they were punctual but not very friendly.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the pork cutlet in porcini mushroom sauce which was good but David ordered better than me, the Country Feast, one of the house specialites with fried sausage, Krvavica sausage (I think this is blood pudding), roast meat, dried pork chops, cabbage/turnips, and buckwheat mushbread dumpling which was an interesting sampler of some local dishes. We also had some onion soup which was served in a bread bowl that he really enjoyed.

Dinner for two with one drink each was 32E.

• ursa9's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: Slovene dishes

by ursa9 Updated Mar 14, 2007

Sokol Inn

I have not tried this restaurant before, but I will some day because my friends recommend it. It's known for its Slovene dishes. So... If you want to try a bit of the Slovene cuisine, I think, this is a good option.

• maple_air's Profile Photo

Gostilna Sokol: Yummy...yummy

by maple_air Updated Jan 15, 2007

Country feast

Even from the outside the place already looked enticing.This local restaurant gave me the feeling of being inside a local inn or tavern in the depth of Slovenia, to think it was in Ljubljana itself. The waiters are dressed in a local/national costume ( am i right? or are they just their work uniform?). And the way the place was made up......interesting murals on the ceiling, farming tools on the wall, the lights on the ceiling was hang using big abaca? strings, and clay/terracotta lampshades, not too loud music( slovenian?)
    and friendly staff.

Favorite Dish: I had the biggest portion of meal i ever had in my entire life (considering my size), its called the country feast and it had grilled mixed meat and sausage, dumpling and sauerkraut. My friend had grilled squid with garlic sauce.Both were really good. They have huge portions . Before we saw how big their portions were, we wanted to order some grilled chicken as well, but the kind waiter was nice enough to tell us that we won't be able to eat all of it though, and he was right indeed.Burp!.....excuse me!!

• Women's Travel

• Gostilna SOKOL: Traditional Fayre

by Julialondon Written Jan 9, 2007

I visited this restaurant on the basis of past reviews on VT. It was the first meal we had in Ljubljana, so I thought I would go for somewhere so highly recommended and traditional. There were some slightly scary things on the menu, namely dished containing deer and horsemeat. Was a bit surprised about the size of the serving of wine I was given as the glass was only a third full but later learned that was normal for slovenia. They also had a homemade beer which my husband tried and quite liked. The waiters were dressed in traditional dress and gave me some good advice about the food, but were not as attentive as I would have liked. However, they were quite busy that evening. I would have dearly loved to try the traditional dessert made from pastry and poppy seeds as the waiter suggested but the meal was so big I couldn't fit it in. The decor was also very traditional.

Favorite Dish: The traditional slovenian meal was the country feast which consisted of two types of sausage (one was black pudding) roast pork, baked ham, buckwheat dumplings, shredded turnips and saurkraut. I checked with the waiter and he assured me the whole meal was exclusively made from pork. I very much enjoyed the meal, as did my husband although neither of us could finish it.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: Try Slovene cuisine

by mikelisaanna Written Sep 17, 2006

The menu man outside of the Sokol restaurant

Sokol is a somewhat touristy but interesting Slovene restaurant in Ljubljana's old town, located about a block from Preseren Square and just down the street from Ljubljana's town hall. Sokol's menu features a variety of traditional Slovene entrees, including a number of game dishes. The retaurant also has a bar area and it brews its own beer, although we preferred other local beers, such as Union.

• Beer Tasting

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: Local traditions

by Willettsworld Written Aug 17, 2006

The inside of this restaurant looks very Bavarian/Alpine and is popular with both locals and tourists alike (just look at the number of reviews on VT!). With this in mind I thought I'd give it a try and I had the mushroom soup for a starter which arrived very quickly in a roll with a lid. It was actually quite difficult to eat as you wanted to eat the roll at the same time as eating the soup and you end up making a hole in the side so the soup runs out! Anyway, it was different and fun at the same time. Then I had the Peasants feast which was very difficult to eat all of it after the soup as the meats - of which there's 4: black pudding, pork steak, ham and veal sausage are very filling plus there's also buckwheat, boiled corn and turnips. Take my advice and wash it all down with the house beer.

• CIIK's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: Nice atmosphere, good food

by CIIK Updated Jun 10, 2006

The Sokol has been recommended to us, as one of the best places to get Slovenian food..

Well, I cannot compare the quality of the food to other traditional restaurants but it surely has a nice atmosphere, the service is good (though one could get the feeling that they want to have the tables seated a few more times until closing-time) and the food was tasty.
    Slovenian food is quite 'heavy', which means you get lots of meat and small side-dish.
    Prices are reasonable here, you get big quantities of food.
    If you are on a low-fat / low-carb diet it may not be suitable though..

There are many tourists at the place, but you can still see locals enjoying a meal together with some home-brewed SOKOL-Beer (which is very good) or Slovenian wine.
    You can also get pizza and other international dishes on the ground floor.

Favorite Dish: We had onion-soup and a traditional dish with different meat, sausage, cabbage and a slice of dumpling. Very tasty but not recommended for a late supper unless you take a few Schnaps afterwards. Price was around 1300.- SIT for the soup, 2500.-SIT for the main dish and 350.- SIT for the Schnaps.

• Trains

Instant Answers: Ljubljana

Comments

Hotels Near Gostilna SOKOL
3.5 out of 5 stars