Gostilna SOKOL, Ljubljana

by yumyum
    mushroom soup
    by yumyum
  • dost4most's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: Yummy Slovenian Food!

by dost4most Written May 7, 2006

Very nice decoration! Great Slovenian Food! Wide selection of Slovenian Wines! Great Service! When we visited the restaurant, there were not so many people, and the staff was really friendly! They gave us very valuable information about the city and the wineyards!

Favorite Dish: The soup in bread! Grilled Calamar! Risotto was also great!They recommended a very nice wine to drink with the food we ordered!

• Wine Tasting
    • Business Travel

• roomania's Profile Photo

Gostilna Sokol: Pierogies!

by roomania Written Mar 9, 2006

Situated between Old Town Hall and the Cathedral, Gostilna Sokol serves a hefty portions in an old world inspired setting. It came highly recommended by locals and by my hosts at the Fluxus Hostel. Upon entering, there is a long wooden bench with tables and corresponding wooden chairs surrounding the tables. To the left is a small dining room and if you continue beyond the benches and the table, there is a set of stairs. The stairs lead to an upstairs dining room and looks down onto a courtyard with more seating.

The wait staff is super-friendly and fluent in four languages. Do be sure to ask them for their recommendations and if you are uncertain their assistance with selecting a wine to complement your entree.

A nice restaurant, with a superb location, makes it ideal for a sightseeing stop over for a mid-afternoon lunch or a romantic dinner.

Favorite Dish: After an exhaustive day of sightseeing and exploring, I thought I would try the goulash (gulas) as recommended by my hosts at the hostel. Unlike that of Hungarian or Transylvanian goulash, it was a bit thicker than I was accustomed, but delicious all the same. Of course this was nothing compared to Pierogies I had the next day for dinner. Portions are of ample size and do sample the local beers.

• clivedinburgh's Profile Photo

Sokol: Sokol - so cool

by clivedinburgh Updated Jan 11, 2006

The restuarant is made up of lots of small rooms with waiters who are very keen to help you pick your dishes. They also brew their own beer.

Favorite Dish: Soup that is served inside a bowl shaped loaf.

Mixed Grill.

• juzz's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: typical food

by juzz Updated Nov 8, 2005

I enjoyed very much the food i had here. But it seems it's quite famous in the town so YOU MUST BOOK! We had soup, meat, cake and beer and we spent about 12 euro per person.

Favorite Dish: i enjoyed very much the smoked pork chops!

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: Try the Game Goulash

by rexvaughan Written Oct 17, 2005

Bowl of soup.

This is a huge and popular place with lots of atmosphere and I worried that it might be a bit touristy. There were lots of people there, but many locals including our friend Krista who suggested it. As there were 15 of us we were seated in a smaller upstairs room which we had to ourselves.

Favorite Dish: We had a marvelous time here mostly because we were with a large group of VT friends. However, the food was excellent as well. As it was mushroom and game season we decided to take advantage of that. My wife had mushroom soup and roast veal. I had mushrooms and eggs, then game goulash. All tasted fresh and delicious. We had pitches of the house wine which was very nice and I thought similar to Torrano wine from the region. Good coffee as well. All of this was for about $25

• aqazi's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: Touristy but not bad

by aqazi Written Sep 18, 2005

We were only in town for one night so to be sure we were able to taste some local cuisine we went for the conveniently located Sokol which pretty much caters for the tourist crowd. Prices are high by slovenian standards and the service was laid back. The menu consisted of various platters and traditional dishes. My wife took a meat platter and I opted for the veal since a lot of the other dishes has pork in them. Anyway the food was pretty good. The also brewed their own beer (a wheat variety) which was actually very good. Much better than their house wine which came straight out of the barrel and tasted quite ordinary.

This restaurant is located in the centre of town right near the town hall and close to the main tourist offce (who incidenlty reccommended the place. All in all not a bad experience and a convenient way to tast something local.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: Slovenian food

by barryg23 Updated Sep 15, 2005

We chose this place based on Lonely Planet's recommendation. The food was good but not amazing. I liked the interior of this place and the service was fine. Two main courses with wine and a couple of beers for me cost 23 Euro in all which was reasonably good value.

• BerniShand's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: GREAT FOOD, GREAT FRIENDS

by BerniShand Written Sep 14, 2005

SOKOL

Come here and try wonderful traditional Slovenian food, everything on the menu sounded appealing and our dishes all tasted great
    Its a favourite haunt of Ljubljancan VTers and has been the setting for several meetings, and we enjoyed their company as much as the food [if not more !]

the restaurant itself is quite rustic and full of old world charm, and our waiter was very helpful and advised us on our selection

Favorite Dish: veal stew with buckwheat mash was delicious, really tasty but very filling, as a starter we had mushroom soup in a bread cup, you are actually supposed to eat the bread cup, but we`d never have fitted in the entree if we had !

• travelbug102's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: Good hearty fare

by travelbug102 Written Sep 5, 2005

dinner with my friends Bostjan and Manca

I came here twice on my last visit. Countryside style interior, lots of wood furniture and an upstairs.

Favorite Dish: Try the Gibanica for dessert. It comes from the Prekmurje region of Slovenia and isn't always easy to find on the menu.

• Karmacholo's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: I love the atmosphere, and the food is superb

by Karmacholo Written May 15, 2005
    Sokol's Pizza Oven!

I know, tourist trap, Medieval themed restaurants are fast becoming a cliche, and they are usually over priced tourist traps. Although Sokol's interior design also follows the same suit, their food does not. It serves you great local dishes as well as magnificent Pizzas for prices that you will get in a diner in Germany or the UK! It really is good. It is advertised too much, but for once, it is worth it!

Favorite Dish: Collection of local meats!

• Gostilna SOKOL: tourist kitsch tasting great

by miromi Written Mar 23, 2005

oh my, how embarrassing to admit that you fall sucker to kitsch, but this place delivers: antlers on the wall, homey gingerbread house interiors, and waiters that are hired only if they're hot in traditional silly peasant blouses. You forget that you're in a slavic country and instead are transported to Austria-sneyland. I don't care. I'm a tourist dammnit!

Favorite Dish: definitely the deer medallions smothered in berries.

• markyg's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: Rustic Atmosphere

by markyg Updated Jan 10, 2005

Inside view

I would recommend this restaurant, especially if one is not going to the Slovenian countryside. There is a blend of traditional and general dishes. I would recommend the gamier meat dishes as it is food that one can not find in other European countries. The menu is in English, but the waiters have limited English proficiency. I enjoyed the dark, rustic atmosphere. I had a type of game meat that was served in a traditional pot with bread dumplings. I believe it was Telejca Obara. It was very good. My wife had a goulash that was average.

Favorite Dish: The brand of beer from Sokol. I am not sure what it is called, but I think it is Pivo Sokol. It was awesome and I could not find it anywhere else. I believe the waiter said it was made there. Best beer I had in the country and I really enjoyed most of the beers.

• Sokol: A FRIENDLY LOCAL RESTAURANT

by sabsi Updated Jan 9, 2005
    Soup in a bread

This is the restaurant we had our VT dinner at. It serves local food (which is very meaty is seems) and a great house beer. Waiters were friendly - even towards such a noisy and terribly trilingual bunch as we were ;)

Favorite Dish: For starter and to get warm I had the great mushroom soup served in a bread you can see on the picture. It was very tasty and much better than the main course actually.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

"Sokol": VT meetings place

by croisbeauty Written Dec 18, 2004

Gostilnica Sokol

Gostilnica Sokol became already traditional VT meetings place for a late lunch. It is the second time now that we have organized VT lunch in this traditional Slovene inn. Since it is situated in a very heart of the old town, and offers good and fresh food, I strongly recommend it to all future VT visitors.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

"Sokol": Inn - Pizzeria - Wine cellar

by croisbeauty Updated Dec 18, 2004

Gostilnica Sokol

Gostilnica (inn) Sokol offers original Slovene dishes following grandmothers' recipes and excellent wines.
    There are several rooms on two floors decorated in a traditional style.
    Open from 7:00 - 23:00
    Sundays and Holidays from 10:00 - 23:00

Favorite Dish: If you are meat lover, you'll be on your own here. Just follow the suggestions of the "Sokol's" stuff.

Instant Answers: Ljubljana

Comments

Hotels Near Gostilna SOKOL
3.5 out of 5 stars