Gostilna SOKOL, Ljubljana

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: Try the Game Goulash

by rexvaughan Written Oct 17, 2005

Bowl of soup.

This is a huge and popular place with lots of atmosphere and I worried that it might be a bit touristy. There were lots of people there, but many locals including our friend Krista who suggested it. As there were 15 of us we were seated in a smaller upstairs room which we had to ourselves.

Favorite Dish: We had a marvelous time here mostly because we were with a large group of VT friends. However, the food was excellent as well. As it was mushroom and game season we decided to take advantage of that. My wife had mushroom soup and roast veal. I had mushrooms and eggs, then game goulash. All tasted fresh and delicious. We had pitches of the house wine which was very nice and I thought similar to Torrano wine from the region. Good coffee as well. All of this was for about $25

• GillianMcLaughlin's Profile Photo

Gostilna Sokol: Eat in the atmosphere of Ljubljana's oldest

by GillianMcLaughlin Written Jun 5, 2004

Sausages and goulash

Gostilna Sokol is reputed to be one of the oldest restaurants in Ljubljana. Situated a stone’s throw away from the market place, in its day the ground floor would stable the horses of the farmers and merchants who traded at the market, while the traders themselves would sleep in the upper levels.

Today it is a busy and atmospheric restaurant offering a wide variety of traditional fare. The waiters dress in decorative and traditional outfits, and are very personable. This restaurant is frequented by locals and tourists alike.

Favorite Dish: The choice here is very wide, and offers welcome options for the vegetarian as well as the more traditional meat-based dishes of the area.

Kristina and I enjoyed with soup served in bread bowls followd by sausages and goulash. It was truly delicious.

• Architecture

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: Slovene specialties

by Dabs Written Jun 6, 2007

Country Feast

After arriving in Ljubljana on Sunday evening, we headed out in the light rain to find some dinner, the 1st place we tried was no longer a Bosnian restaurant so we passed on eating there and we went to our 2nd choice, Gostilna Sokol. Gostilna is the name for restaurants that are like inns and usually located in rural areas or on the edge of town but this gostilna is right in the center of the city and very popular so make a reservation if you can, especially if you are going on the weekend.

We didn't have a reservation so we were "exiled" to the non smoking section with all the other tourists. The wait staff was very busy so they were punctual but not very friendly.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the pork cutlet in porcini mushroom sauce which was good but David ordered better than me, the Country Feast, one of the house specialites with fried sausage, Krvavica sausage (I think this is blood pudding), roast meat, dried pork chops, cabbage/turnips, and buckwheat mushbread dumpling which was an interesting sampler of some local dishes. We also had some onion soup which was served in a bread bowl that he really enjoyed.

Dinner for two with one drink each was 32E.

• maple_air's Profile Photo

Gostilna Sokol: Yummy...yummy

by maple_air Updated Jan 15, 2007

Country feast

Even from the outside the place already looked enticing.This local restaurant gave me the feeling of being inside a local inn or tavern in the depth of Slovenia, to think it was in Ljubljana itself. The waiters are dressed in a local/national costume ( am i right? or are they just their work uniform?). And the way the place was made up......interesting murals on the ceiling, farming tools on the wall, the lights on the ceiling was hang using big abaca? strings, and clay/terracotta lampshades, not too loud music( slovenian?)
    and friendly staff.

Favorite Dish: I had the biggest portion of meal i ever had in my entire life (considering my size), its called the country feast and it had grilled mixed meat and sausage, dumpling and sauerkraut. My friend had grilled squid with garlic sauce.Both were really good. They have huge portions . Before we saw how big their portions were, we wanted to order some grilled chicken as well, but the kind waiter was nice enough to tell us that we won't be able to eat all of it though, and he was right indeed.Burp!.....excuse me!!

• Women's Travel

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Gostilna Sokol.: A restaurant in the city center.

by Maurizioago Updated Sep 5, 2008

The entrance of Gostilna Sokol.

Gostilna Sokol is a restaurant into a two storey building. It can host up to 250 people.

On the menu there is plenty of meat and fish dishes to choose from. They serve typical Slovene food and also pizza.

The portions at Sokol's are huge.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed very much rice with mushrooms; grilled or fried squids.

• Trains

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

"Sokol": VT meetings place

by croisbeauty Written Dec 18, 2004

Gostilnica Sokol

Gostilnica Sokol became already traditional VT meetings place for a late lunch. It is the second time now that we have organized VT lunch in this traditional Slovene inn. Since it is situated in a very heart of the old town, and offers good and fresh food, I strongly recommend it to all future VT visitors.

• Zo72's Profile Photo

Sokol: Great cuisine in the city centre

by Zo72 Written Feb 29, 2004

Ciril-Metodov trg

Sokol is one of the best choices to have your meal in Ljubljana. It is situated only 2 minutes of walking from Tromostovje. Interrior is rustic with massive wooden tables, but very pleasant. Food is good with wide selection of various dishes, from slovenian cuisine, salads, pizzas... Highly recommended!

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Sokol: Fun Slovenian Food (and beer) for Tourists

by travelfrosch Updated Aug 17, 2009

Sokol

Jet-lagged and looking for a simple dining option, we settled on Sokol, the renowned "authentic" Slovenian restaurant in Ljubljana. And it brews its own beer, so how bad could it be?

Well, in truth, it was just fine, if nothing special. Our waiter seemed to enjoy playing his part in full traditional dress, even as he spoke better English than I. He relished explaining the more bizarre menu items, and seemed genuine in his efforts to convey Slovenian culture to us jet-lagged tourists. He was quite happy I decided to sample the house beer, and asked several times if I was enjoying it (I was).

Favorite Dish: Sara tried some mushroom soup in a bread bowl to start, then had some veggie risotto as a main course. I skipped the appetizer (though I did help Sara eat her "bowl") and ordered the "stag steak with porcini mushrooms" as a main course. Sara said her food was fine. As for my dish, while the venison itself was of excellent quality, the "porcini mushrooms" were really standard mushrooms in a salty gravy that tasted like it was from a can. Not altogether surprising, but just a touch disappointing.

The beer, as I mentioned earlier, was an unfiltered home-brew and served in a 1/2 liter rubber-stopper bottle. It was very good.

• Beer Tasting
    • Architecture

• CIIK's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: Nice atmosphere, good food

by CIIK Updated Jun 10, 2006

The Sokol has been recommended to us, as one of the best places to get Slovenian food..

Well, I cannot compare the quality of the food to other traditional restaurants but it surely has a nice atmosphere, the service is good (though one could get the feeling that they want to have the tables seated a few more times until closing-time) and the food was tasty.
    Slovenian food is quite 'heavy', which means you get lots of meat and small side-dish.
    Prices are reasonable here, you get big quantities of food.
    If you are on a low-fat / low-carb diet it may not be suitable though..

There are many tourists at the place, but you can still see locals enjoying a meal together with some home-brewed SOKOL-Beer (which is very good) or Slovenian wine.
    You can also get pizza and other international dishes on the ground floor.

Favorite Dish: We had onion-soup and a traditional dish with different meat, sausage, cabbage and a slice of dumpling. Very tasty but not recommended for a late supper unless you take a few Schnaps afterwards. Price was around 1300.- SIT for the soup, 2500.-SIT for the main dish and 350.- SIT for the Schnaps.

• Trains

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: Try Slovene cuisine

by mikelisaanna Written Sep 17, 2006

The menu man outside of the Sokol restaurant

Sokol is a somewhat touristy but interesting Slovene restaurant in Ljubljana's old town, located about a block from Preseren Square and just down the street from Ljubljana's town hall. Sokol's menu features a variety of traditional Slovene entrees, including a number of game dishes. The retaurant also has a bar area and it brews its own beer, although we preferred other local beers, such as Union.

• Beer Tasting

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: Local traditions

by Willettsworld Written Aug 17, 2006

The inside of this restaurant looks very Bavarian/Alpine and is popular with both locals and tourists alike (just look at the number of reviews on VT!). With this in mind I thought I'd give it a try and I had the mushroom soup for a starter which arrived very quickly in a roll with a lid. It was actually quite difficult to eat as you wanted to eat the roll at the same time as eating the soup and you end up making a hole in the side so the soup runs out! Anyway, it was different and fun at the same time. Then I had the Peasants feast which was very difficult to eat all of it after the soup as the meats - of which there's 4: black pudding, pork steak, ham and veal sausage are very filling plus there's also buckwheat, boiled corn and turnips. Take my advice and wash it all down with the house beer.

• yumyum's Profile Photo

Restaurant Sokol

by yumyum Written Nov 10, 2011

Restaurant Sokol

I was taken here by two lovely local VTers. We ate in the first room as you enter the place. I don't know how big it is but there seem to be several rooms and also an upstairs area.

The restaurant is located in the heart of the old town near the major attractions.

The restaurant is held in a rustic Slovenian style and the waiters are dressed accordingly. Our waiter spoke excellent English, was very friendly and efficiet. This was on a Monday evening in October 2011.

Favorite Dish: I opted for a dish of venison with sour cherry sauce and strukelji which is some kind of roulade for Euro 16.90. The meat was lovely if a bit much and I thought that 2 small slices of strukelji was not enough in comparison with the amount of meat and sauce.

• Avieira67's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: Try Grilled Squids

by Avieira67 Updated Jul 10, 2013

I had the pleasure to have a lunch in this restaurant some years ago. I am not sure, but I think it was in 2004. At that time, the service was brilliant with reasonable prices.
    I liked a lot the service, the food and the ambience inside this well decorated typical house.
    In 2009 I didn't visit this restaurant, but some friends informed me they don't offer the same quality.
    I just need to visit it again to compare!

Favorite Dish: At that time I liked very much the onion soup. Try it!
    Grilled squids were very good, but they have specialities. Ask for them!

• BerniShand's Profile Photo

Gostilna SOKOL: GREAT FOOD, GREAT FRIENDS

by BerniShand Written Sep 14, 2005

SOKOL

Come here and try wonderful traditional Slovenian food, everything on the menu sounded appealing and our dishes all tasted great
    Its a favourite haunt of Ljubljancan VTers and has been the setting for several meetings, and we enjoyed their company as much as the food [if not more !]

the restaurant itself is quite rustic and full of old world charm, and our waiter was very helpful and advised us on our selection

Favorite Dish: veal stew with buckwheat mash was delicious, really tasty but very filling, as a starter we had mushroom soup in a bread cup, you are actually supposed to eat the bread cup, but we`d never have fitted in the entree if we had !

• zrim's Profile Photo

Vinoteka Sokol: for the carnivore

by zrim Updated Dec 26, 2002

We had the need to wolf down some large quanities of meat, so the hotel staff sent us out to Vinoteka Sokol--we weren't disappointed. Lots of sausages and game on the menu. We shared generous appetizers of cold cuts and prosciutto, had a little soup and then set in for various sampler plates of meat (blood sausages, wild boar, vennison etc.)

We drank Slovenian wines that came in carafes rather than bottles. And treated ourselves to desserts because it just needed to be done. The bill for four courses per person with a generous amount of wine was only about $20 U.S. a head. Not a bad deal from our perspective.

Instant Answers: Ljubljana

Comments

Hotels Near Gostilna SOKOL
3.5 out of 5 stars