Stores, Malls or Markets in Ljubljana

Republik trg
    by solopes
    Our snowman from Slovenia!
    by CatherineReichardt
    Market at Vodnik Square
    by HORSCHECK

Most Viewed Shopping in Ljubljana

• GillianMcLaughlin's Profile Photo

Various stalls at the castle: Buying souvenirs in a wondeful grotto

by GillianMcLaughlin Written Jun 5, 2004

Underneath the castle, where rock meets stone and brick, you will find an amazing arcade of crafts that, by all accounts, are truly representative of the best of Slovenian creativity, sold at very reasonable prices. More items are also for sale in the crafts shop above ground.

What to buy: Here you will be amazed by glassware, wooden miniatures, gems and stone carving and handcrafts. The prices seemed extraordinarily reasonable, given the location, and were expressed in local currency and in Euros.

What was truly astounding was that there didn’t seem to be a guardian, or sour-faced seller anywhere. It was an amazing trusting sort of shop!

What to pay: A wide range of goods, the cheapest starting at under a dollar / euro going all the way up to a few hundred dollars / euros

• craic's Profile Photo

Almira Sadar: Fashionable - with an unusual flavour

by craic Written Jun 15, 2007

This boutique near the centre of town seemed to epitomise the Slovenian flavour. Unusual colour mix - neat and pretty and feminine. Too young for me alas - for slim hipped women in their thirties. I like a big shirt covering me up these days.
    The local take on fashion - always so interesting.
    I was also shown a famous shoe shop near the main square. Handmade shoes for dancing. Very pretty, straps and heels, and lovely colours. Really ***-me shoes. Again not my style - I would feel silly in heels - but I could appreciate the workmanship. Apparently Slovenia is noted for the quality of its shoes.
    And the quality of the underwear was brilliant. I bought a Slovenian knicker and bra set (run out of clean clothes) in Zagreb - and just marvellous quality. I didn't know it was Slovenian when I bought it - just thought - great! exactly what I want and a reasonable price.
    Funny though - I bought some more knickers while in Ljubljana (never seemed to pause to do any washing on this trip) and they were made in Portugal. That's Europe for you. Each country exports its knickers to other countries.

• novsco61's Profile Photo

Piran Saltpans in Ljubljana ?

by novsco61 Updated Feb 10, 2005

If you really don't have time to visit beautiful coastal town Piran and Secovlje saltpans, you can buy original packed salt in the middle of Ljubljana.
    On the door it is written :

'Salt is the sea which couldn't go back to the sky. '

Interesting !!!

• craic's Profile Photo

A cigarette called Respect

by craic Written Jun 5, 2007

I was advised by friendly locals that as I was returning to Italy - where cigarettes cost you an arm and a leg, as well as your health and beauty - to stock up before I crossed the border.
    I checked the price in a small supermarket while Krista was picking up a few things for dinner - and smokes were nearly half price!
    Good one.
    BUT I don't know what the story is now since Slovenia went onto the euro in Jan 2007.

I had just been in Bosnia where I could smoke wherever and whenever and it was hard to return to "civilisation" in Slovenia. It was the usual sort of stand-outside-like-a-leper thing that you find nearly everywhere these days.

(Okay - who gave that loud cheer! That's not very nice for the poor addicts.)

A memory returns. I was smoking in public (didn't see a lot of it at all) as we crossed a little park in the city.
    And an older guy, sitting on a bench, scruffy, a bit drunk, lurched to his feet and asked me for a smoke. Never let a chance go by. I would think he didn't see a smoker all that often.
    Of course I gave him one. The community of smokers cuts across age, gender, sociological circumstances.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Radenska mineral water

by HORSCHECK Updated May 28, 2008

The Slovenian Radenska mineral water is famous all over the world. Its sources can be found in Radenci near the Austrian-Hungarian border.

The mineral water is also popular for health-spa tourism, especially in the field of the treatment of cardiovascular diseases.

You get Radenska mineral water in almost every supermarket and kiosk in Ljubljana.

• Trains

• Sweetberry1's Profile Photo

City Marketplace - Mestni Trg.

by Sweetberry1 Updated Oct 1, 2004

By the side of the river is the town market, which sells meats, vegetables and seafood. A lot is imported from Spain and the Netherlands, but there is local produce too.
    On Sundays, there is a flea market which runs south from the Triple Bridge along the Cankarjevo nabreje riverside walk. The colonaded market building was designed by Joze Plecnik and is one of the most attractive in Central Europe.
    It runs along Adamic-Lundrovo nabreje.

Open weekdays 7am-4pm;
    Sat 7am-1pm.

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Gift shop at Ljubljana Castle: Our snowman from Slovenia!

by CatherineReichardt Written Oct 17, 2011

In our quest to turn our Christmas tree into the embodiment of our travels, we try to pick up at least one ornament from each trip.

This whimsical glazed pottery snowman was acquired by my mother as a gift for our daughter when we travelled as a three generational pack through Slovenia. When the time comes for her to leave home and set up for herself, it will form part of the nucleus of the Christmas tree 'starter pack' that I started to assemble for her when she was only a few months old ... just as my mother did when I flew the nest.

Christmas and high sentimentality are absolute specialities in our family!

• Redang's Profile Photo

Glavna Tržnica/Central Market: Food and Slovenian specialties

by Redang Updated Feb 9, 2011

The Glavna Tržnica/Central MarketIt was designed by the famous architect Jože Pleènik, it offers almost all kinds of food, including a variety of Slovenian specialities such as prosciutto and the potica cake.

• solopes's Profile Photo

Republik square: Shopping or what?

by solopes Updated Dec 28, 2013

I'm blind! I surely am!

In Emonec hotel I was advised to park in this square, about three hundred meters distant, and where, by agreement between the hotel and I don't know who, the costumer could park by 7 € each 24 hours, freely exiting and entering at will. I used it, and that took me to the square several times. Each time I felt entering a common shopping mall, crossing the hall with some shops before entering the park. The square seemed totally used by the mall, and around it the only noticeable thing that I saw was the parliament.

Imagine my surprise when, back home, I read in http://www.slovenia.info:

"The largest square in Ljubljana was set up in the years 1960-1981 between the Parliament and Šubièeva Street, the Ursuline monastery by Slovenska Street and Erjavèeva and Valvasorjeva Street.

It was designed by Edvard Ravnikar with numerous collaborators. For it he sacrificed the Ursuline garden, the green area that had provided the largest garden in Ljubljana from the middle of the 17th century on. The point of departure of the architecture are two thick towers with a triangular profile, set on an elevated platform. They were designed as higher towers, symbolically set on the north wall of the Roman Emona. With the towers, Ravnikar designed a new city gate between Rožnik and Castle Hill. The economic reform in 1965 stopped the impetus. Only 12 basic floors were built and the towers were concluded with different sized crowns layered with copper tin plate. The smaller one became the seat of Ljubljanska banka, the larger one, Iskra. In 1975 the west side of the square was decorated with a monument of revolution and in 1981 with a monument to the politician Edvard Kardelj.

The trading house which closes off the square by the Ursuline monastery is a piece of quality functionalistic architecture. The architect did not exaggerate in forcing the height of the building. He extended the edifice by the monastery and with that he separated the Baroque part from the new square. The store was connected by a covered basement passageway and garage.

The square's last large building is the Ivan Cankar Cultural Centre, built and fitted between 1976 and 1984. There are several halls in it; the largest concert hall with about 1500 seats is named after the composer Jakobus Gallus, and a smaller one after the dramatist Anton Tomaž Linhart. There is a smaller gallery in the centre, several exhibition areas and a restaurant. The basic arrangement of the large entrance hall imitates the cathedral in Assisi."

Excuse me! I have an appointment in the optometrist and will be back soon!

• Architecture

• Paisleypaul's Profile Photo

Not a shop - just what to buy: Bring home the bacon and eat it myself....

by Paisleypaul Updated Nov 5, 2005

See what to buy below

NB CLICK ON THE IMAGE left to see full book !

What to buy: Like everywhere else I go, I always bring back a local cook book. What better way to evoke the memories of your travels than to recreate the tastes yourself ?

The book pictured is available in Slovene, English, German & Italian

What to pay: SIT 1680 - 1680 Tolarjev was about UK £4.75 / EU7 in Ocotber 2005

• Durfun's Profile Photo

Wooden carving of 'Slovenija'

by Durfun Written Jan 4, 2008

Wow, were the ladies of the stalls pretty!!!

Lots of items of various kinds on offer. Beads, glass, show articles, wooden objects, etc.

A pretty, understated wooden carving on a simple twig caught my eye - had to have something authentic on it, and it did!

Hopefully, the wood was local, and the writing simply says 'Slovenija'.

Need I say more?

Would always remind one of the country!

• Skiing and Boarding
    • Archeology

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo

LJUBLJANCEK: WHERE TO BUY WHAT FOR WHOM ?????

by eden_teuling Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is the place where you will find peace of mind because here you can buy what you need.

They have a wide variety of finest quality town & country SOUVENIRS: good value .....

And they sell FOREIGN NEWSPAPERS in case you are in need of one.

My rule is: not TV and no Newspapers during holidays, never ever.....

OPEN: 8AM - 14PM and 4PM - 8PM

On Saturdays 8AM - 1PM

On Sundays 8AM - noon

They wish us all a pleasant time in Ljublana so.....let's make the most of it whenever we are there.....

What to buy: Oh, I would only buy what I would need....no more, no less....

What to pay: Oh, again, just pay for whatever you will buy...

• Mikebond's Profile Photo

Kiosk Tromostovje: The cheapest postcards

by Mikebond Written Aug 18, 2008

Postcards can be found in many shops and kiosks; however, their price is often as high as 0.50 or 0.60 euro. If you have to buy a certain number of postcards without paying too much, I suggest you'd go to the kiosk lying in Presernov trg (Preseren square) close to the Triple Bridge or Tromostovje. It is a small kiosk that sells newspapers, cigarettes and other items.

What to pay: This kiosk sells postcards at 0.33 euro each. It is the lowest price I have found in Ljubljana.

• SapineKuu's Profile Photo

Behemot: Buy The Book!

by SapineKuu Written Jul 29, 2008

For those who can’t resist the siren call of a good bookshop head for the wonderfully bijou Behemot. This hidden gem has a good stock of English books including some Slovenian translations and a shed load of film books. The store had the additional advantage of being staffed by an attractive female assistant who seemed pretty chilled out about me reading half the stock before buying.

What to buy: I guess that would be books! I bought an intriguing novel by Drago Jancar that explores the conflicting states of experience and comprehension.

What to pay: Depends on what you buy!

• BerniShand's Profile Photo

ANY: NOT ON SUNDAYS

by BerniShand Written Oct 16, 2005

Ljubljana is the only capitol city I have ever visited where in the centre the shops stay closed on Sunday
    we found a few craft shops open near the tourist information centre, and there is the flea market in the morning, but the shops along the strrets leading from Preseren Square were closed, we found this refreshing, Sunday is a time for families to be together, not to spend working or shopping
    there were plenty of cafes, bars and restaurants open, and lots of families enjoying the September sunshine

Ljubljana Hotels

Latest: Mar 31, 2014
Hostel Simbol Castle
Latest: Feb 3, 2014

Instant Answers: Ljubljana

Comments

Ljubljana Shopping

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Ljubljana locals.
Map of Ljubljana