National Gallery, Ljubljana

by craic
  • vesna04's Profile Photo

by vesna04 Updated Aug 28, 2007

National Gallery

The building dates from 1896 and it is resemblance of the czech National theatre. (it was built by czech arhitect Frantisek Edmund Skabrout) It used to be the National Centre untill became the home of the N.G. in 1925.
    There are the permanent exhibitions featuring slovenian arts troughout the time as well as various temprary exhibitions.
    THE ENTRANCE IS FREE OF CHARGE SATURDAYS AFTER 14h.

• monkeytrousers's Profile Photo

by monkeytrousers Written Aug 2, 2007

National Gallery

Although the national gallery does not contain any overtly famous works, it does house some important baroque peices and offers some good insights into all periods of Slovene art. I found it interesting comparing the Slovene style of impressionism with the more famous French counterparts at the time.

• craic's Profile Photo

They have wonderful pics on their website

by craic Updated May 8, 2007

Sneaky pic outside the Ladies

What a treat this gallery was. I was curious about Slovenian Art because I have to say that to my knowledge I have never seen any Slovenian Art before.
    I saw some fairly ordinary pictures - one always does in any gallery - and then two wonderful canvases by Ivana Kobilca. It was her Self Portrait In White that I took home with me. I allow myself to carry one piece home with me, a game I always play.
    Then I saw some absolutely stunning landscapes by the big guns of early modernism. Ivan Grohr was my favourite. And the realists were wonderful too - especially Jozef Petkovsek. I loved his Venetian Kitchen.
    Then I said to Krista - let's just pop into this room - and oh my goodness I was ravished.
    The most wonderful collection of carved wooden Medieval church art. Saints, Madonnas, Crucifixions. Krista said they had gone out of fashion and many of them had been found abandoned in cellars under piles of rubbish etc - which explains the woodworm and why some of them were damaged. The names of the people who made them are not known of course. Most of them were two or three feet high, with very human faces and expressions, as if the carver had modelled them on local people. So approachable, so charming, so tender. Some were positively funny. Some of them were very wrenching and moving. Like the large crucifixion on the wall. They were not always in proportion but that seemed part of their naive splendour. I've never seen anything like this before and when I go back to Ljubljana I will visit them again.

Of course one isn't allowed to take pics of the art works - so I did what I could.

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

by Willettsworld Written Aug 6, 2006

The National Gallery of Slovenia is half housed in the wonderfully classical building built by the Czech architect František Edmund Škabrout in 1896 and in a modern annexe built in 1993. The area of the gallery held in the older building contains 19th and 20th century sculpture, Slovene Modern Art, Realism paintings and paintings from the Middle Ages through to the 18th century. One thing of note is that the floor is very squeeky as you walk through each section so you try and walk on tip toes so as not to disturb other people! The modern annexe contains Italian, Spanish, French, Flemish and Dutch paintings.

Open: 10am-6pm Tue-Sun. Closed Mondays. Admission: 1000SIT.

• Architecture

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

by Airpunk Written Jun 29, 2006

National Gallery in Ljubljana

Another place I didn't see from inside due to lack of time... But as one of many 19th century buildings in the museum area, the national gallery is also nice to see from outside. The building was designed by Frantisek Skabrout in neo-renaissance style as a place for cultural events. In 1925, the national gallery moved in. The building was refurbished in the 1990s and early 2000s, including the addition of a glass dome. The national gallery shows slovenian art from the middle ages to the early 20th century while you will find the late 20th and 21st century in the modern gallery.

• Architecture

• mightywease's Profile Photo

by mightywease Written Jun 28, 2005

National Gallery, Ljubljana

This very impressive building contains a good collection of Slovenian paintings - the Impressionist Painters/Period are particularly interesting – sculpture and frescos plus some European art. Because of space constraints not all the collection can be displayed at one time, a fact very ably explained on their informative website at www.ng-slo.si , however it is certainly worth going to see what is on display.

Opening Hours are 10.00am-6.00pm Tuesday-Sunday (closed Mondays and January, 1 May, 1 November, 25 December)

Cost: 800 SIT (approx. 2.20 sterling)

• zrim's Profile Photo

The National Gallery

by zrim Written Apr 12, 2003

Becky, Duane and Nazilia

Any self-respecting capital city must have a National Gallery. I'm not really up on my Slovenian art and we were enjoying roaming the city, so we did not step inside. Probably should have at least taken a peak though because it is my understanding that it is free on Saturdays (didn't know it at the time).

Instant Answers: Ljubljana