Trnovo Church and Bridge, Ljubljana
The present church was built between 1854 and 1857 on the site of the former church that dated from 1753. It assumed its present neo-Romanic appearance after the earthquake in 1895 when it was rebuilt by architect Raimund Jeblinger. The church was where poet Prešeren met the love of his life, Julija Primic. Unfortunately, the churches facade was being renovated whilst I was there so hence no picture :-(
To the right of the Church of St John the Baptist (Trnovo Church) stands the Trnovo Presbytery which was originally built in the 15th century. It was then extended in the 18th century and then rebuilt in 1895.
Trnovo bridge was designed by architect Jože Plecnik between 1928 and 1932 and straddles the narrow picturesque Gradascica Canal. The bridge features 5 of Plecnik's trademark pyramids and Nikolaj Pirnat's stone statue of St. John the Baptist, the patron of the Trnovo Church. The most remarkable decorative element are the two rows of birch trees planted into the bridge. At the sides, the bridge is covered with roughly finished stone blocks. On the Krakovo district end of the bridge there is stone plaque saying "Krakovo", and on the Trnovo district end a plaque saying "Trnovo".
The Gradascica Canal is a small shallow stream of a canal that runs through the centre of the Krakovo and Trnovo areas of the city. It flows into the Ljubljanica River and is lined with several bars and restaurants along Eipprova Ulica.
Trnovo Bridge (Trnovski most) is the only bridge in Europe where trees are planted on the bridge. Birch trees give the impression of large square in front of the church.
The plans of the bridge were made by famous architect Joze Plecnik .
Trnovo is sothern suburb of Ljubljana, situated southern of Gradascica stream (Eipprova ulica). It used to be agricultural settlement with strong boating traditions and was mentioned for the first time in 16th century. There is a beautiful promenade near Ljubljanica river where once landing stage for boats stood (check photo). Good place for sweethearts.
Trnovo is a settlement of large buildings and houses today. There are various nice pubs at Eipprova ulica, that gets crowded at the evening during the summer. There is also beautiful church at Trnovo.
Church of St. John the Baptist was first built in 18th century but it was reconstructed in late 19th century. Bridge in front of the church (Emonska ulica) was once the only connection between Trnovo and Ljubljana centre. There used to be wooden bridge that was replaced by today's concrete bridge in 1932.