Safety Tips in Ljubljana

Trubarjeva Cesta (Ljubljana, Slovenia)
    by Redang

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Ljubljana

• maple_air's Profile Photo

Cold curse

by maple_air Updated Jan 15, 2007

You can't save yourself from these yummy delights. You just can't say no to these. And they come in a million different flavors. Ice-cream stalls are practically in every little corner here in Ljubljana. How can you avoid them? You just can't! They are dangerously absolutely delicious!

...and another one please.....
    • Women's Travel

• leics's Profile Photo

Huge portions

by leics Updated Apr 26, 2009

Beware: Slovenian portions are massive.

The food is fantastic (with Italian, Austrian and Slavic influences), very good quality and very reasonably-priced. But you will almost certainly be amazed by the amount on your plate, so be prepared!

The pizza in the photo cost 5 euros (mushroom and artichoke). It is a small pizza. It really is a small pizza: it says that on the menu! The half-litre beer glass is acting as a scale.

The salds (2009) cost 7 euros in the centre of Ljubljana, in a riverside cafe/bar.

Both, by the way, were delicious.

A small pizza Salad
    • Seniors

• Redang's Profile Photo

The Ljubljana Bug

by Redang Updated Jan 9, 2012

Once in Ljubljana, beware of the "Ljubljana Bug". This "harmful little animal" can bite you and contaminate for the rest of your life, so, be careful (lol). And not to mention if you are “unlucky” to meet the great people from the city as I did, then, you will want to go back to Ljubljana time and again!

PS: This tip is dedicated to the “evil” inhabitants of Ljubljana, lol!

Trubarjeva Cesta (Ljubljana, Slovenia)

• leics's Profile Photo

Beggars.

by leics Written Apr 13, 2007

I only saw two beggars in Ljubljana (outside the main Post Office). They were of the 'kneel quietly and pray' type, and local people were giving them money. I thought that indicated a great lack of cynicism, and I envy the Slovenian nation that lack, and its demonstration of human kindness.

I don't think it can be much fun to be a beggar anywhere, particularly in European cities. I can't bring myself to believe that beggars beg because they are too idle to find work; I think they beg because they have to, for whatver reason (it was suggested to me that these beggars were Albanians).

Ljubljana is an incredibly safe and civilised city; maybe visitors to it should deal with the beggars (and the occasional busker) in a civilised way?

Outside the Post Office

• zrim's Profile Photo

Beware of surly waiters

by zrim Updated Apr 4, 2003

The only unpleasantness we encountered in Lubljana came interestingly enough from the waiters. All in all they were a surly lot. I guess they take their restaurants seriously. We made the mistake of only drinking wine in one place--without ordering food. I guess that is a serious offense as we were berated by the waiter because his establishment was clearly not a bar or pub. At another place, our campanion had the temerity to ask if they served pizza. A tonguelashing ensued about how this establishment was a center of fine dining and not some pub or bistro (actually the food was not that good at this place.)

So be on the watch for the surly waiters or they will get you too.

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Climb up to the castle

by Willettsworld Written Aug 26, 2006

If you decide to climb to the castle make sure you're fit and able to do it! I chose to climb via the track from Vodnik Square called Studentovska Ulica which is very steep and is also unpaved and has hardly any steps. It is a very steep climb indeed and I passed a family who were pushing a pram up it as well! At least there are some seats at the top so you can take a rest.

• iaint's Profile Photo

cycle lanes

by iaint Written Aug 6, 2009

While walking around you will notice cycle lanes painted on pavements on many streets.

BEWARE - the cyclists take these very seriously and expect pedestrians to keep off. If you are going to cross one, check for approaching cyclists coming up behind you.

Remember - they are travelling quite fast and make no noise!

• Cycling

• rui_bijie's Profile Photo

AS Restaurant

by rui_bijie Written Sep 1, 2003

Avoid this restaurant - it is unreasonable expensive! The waiter won't tell you the price of the wine. You just get a menu when you ask for it. It's probably the most expensive restaurant in Ljubljana.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Nobel Burek. I had read about...

by richiecdisc Written Sep 11, 2002

Nobel Burek. I had read about burek in many eastern European pages on VT and just knew I'd have to try one. I met up with local VTer Vasja at the downtown Kratochwill location for some beers one night and a few turned into many though he had a lot of work to do on his thesis the next day. We talked for hours about hiking in Patogonia as that was where he was headed and I'd done some hiking there a few years ago. He likewise filled me in on the wonderful opportunities in his native Slovenia. Talk makes you thirsty, and beers eventually make you hungry. He explained that the best thing at that late hour was a burek and he knew the best place in town, not too far away. Off we went and soon I was faced with a choice of sirov (cheese) or mesni (meat). He said there was no choice, that cheese was the best. Who was I to argue with a local so I got one as well. For 350 SIT ($1.40), I wasn't expecting anything big but I was presented with a huge slab of what seemed like filo dough filled with ricotta-like cheese, and just dripping of grease. We walked off, chowing down on the sloppy late night snack, as I'd done countless times in my hometown with pizza and a good buddy after a night out on the town. Some things may be different from place to place, but some things are all the same. Days later, I tried the meat one for lunch and Vasja was right, the cheese one was in a class of its own.

• xuessium's Profile Photo

A note to fellow Asian travellers

by xuessium Updated Nov 5, 2006

Slovenia is generally a safe country (they do have a minor skinhead problem, though not as notorious as the ones in Germany) and the folks generally friendly to visitors.

However, as Slovenia is still pretty much a new country and quite unheard of/unfamiliar to folks in Asia, save for the Japanese and some Chinese travellers on tour packages, few Asians have ventured into Slovenia.

You may get a few curious stares coming your way, and maybe a few curious queries. No harm is meant; no malice is intended. This may get more so, as you moved out of the capital Ljubljana and into the towns and villages.

Even the custom officers at Brnik Airport had curious questions for me....and I had to provide quite a few details to ensure that I am not about to stay in Slovenia permanently illegally. (Slovenia is a member of the EU)

In fact, at most of the places I visited, I seem to be the sole representative from Asia. It was really kinda fun!!

Perhaps as more Asian travellers visit Slovenia, we will become less of a novelty.

SlovenianCoat-Of-Arms
    • Business Travel

• oja's Profile Photo

I'm finally able (and glad) to...

by oja Written Aug 25, 2002

I'm finally able (and glad) to tell you that the ATM situation has improved greatly. Your VISAs, Maestros and other cards will be welcomed all over the town – not exactly on every cash machine, but definitely on every other. So if you need cash and cannot get it from the first one, go look for the next one. Your odds are almost 100%.

• oja's Profile Photo

The people working at the...

by oja Written Aug 25, 2002

The people working at the Tourist Information Office should really be more careful about the info they provide, and double-check some things! My friend Marc (Lochlainn) was trying to find a cybercafe and was sent to two places which weren't that. One had no computer at all and another (hotel Turist) had one, but only for guests. Common sense tells me there have to be more errors, so I can but wish you luck when you have a try!

• mauro_pd's Profile Photo

ATM machines

by mauro_pd Updated Apr 1, 2006

(old tip - 1999) Just a warning: do not rely on ATM machines for cash retrievals: they simply do not exist, you have to go for a change, be prepared for that !
    (new tip - 2006) ATM machines everywhere ...

• Business Travel

• Euros/Tolar for those travelling before 14th Jan

by Julialondon Written Jan 10, 2007

Change up your money into Tolar before you go. You can only obtain Euros in slovenia now, but can still get Tolar at international airports. The exchange rate is favourable as prices are shown in both currencies. Thie is only for travellers before 14th January 2006 as they lose the Tolar completely then. Good luck!

• Airport Duty Free shop

by Julialondon Written Jan 10, 2007

Not a proper warning about the city really, but we felt we should advise other travellers accordingly. If you are thinking of buying wine or local brandy at the duty free shop in the airport, don't! Either buy them from local shops or from the little souvenir shop before you go through security as you can get a reasonably siszed bottle of viljamovka for 8 euro, and it is 30 euro plus for the same sized bottle in the duty free shop. Local wine was very pricy too and we were kicking ourselves that we couldn't go back out again.

Ljubljana Hotels

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
MartaStudio
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Ljubljana

Comments

Ljubljana Warnings and Dangers

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Ljubljana locals.
Map of Ljubljana