Don't miss the carnival in February - that means 10 days of party behind the masks and on sunday you can watch a parade on Ptuj's streets that last for few hours and there is ussualy more than 1000 traditional and nontraditional masks.
Povoden museum is to be found the oldest open-air lapidary in Slovenia. It bears the name of the curate Simon Povoden who, in 1830, had made built in the town's Tower base antique monuments found in Ptuj and its environs.
Among them are fragments from civilian and military tombstones, ash bins, sacrifical altars, dedication plates with reliefs, and square blocks. Belonging to the Povoden Museum are also sacrificial altars standing in the niches in the northern wall of the parish church of St. George.
In front of the town's Tower stands the almost 5 m high monument, the biggest ever found in the Roman province of Upper Pannonia. Most probably it is located on the site where it was found. The hardly legible inscription says that the monument, made of Pohorje marble, was erected in the 2nd century to the then mayor Marcus Valerius Verus. The central relief scene depicts Orpheus who plays his lyre in mourning over the loss of Eurydice, hence its popular name – the Orpheus monument. In the Middle Ages the monument was used as a pillory – »pranger«. Iron rings were attached to the monument's lower part to tie criminals to it, and by doing so the inscription was damaged.
It is supposed that in the 4th century an old Christian basilica stood on this spot. Then, two other churches stood on this site. The smaller of the two churches, the only one existing still today, dates from the 9th century. It was rebuilt and renovated several times which is still visible nowadays in its interior and exterior. A nice example are the remains of built-in windows. There are also some windows belonging to the Roman times, while the majority of the building is in the Gothic style. The church was surrounded by a cemetery until 1775.
The interior of the church is full of various monuments which bear witness to the existence of important people of Ptuj. A special feature of the church are pews from 1763, for each pew distinguishes itself from others for its own decoration patterns. The pews were made by cabinetmakers from Ptuj. The church has got five side altars. Frescoes represent all social classes from that period with the exception of the bourgeoisie, although Ptuj had always been known as a bourgeois settlement.
In 1863, the church of St George became the parish church. The wooden Gothic sculpture of St George, patron saint of the church and the town, stands in the under-choir protected by a glass bell.
The Orfejev Spomenik (Orpheus Monument) dates back to the 2nd century.
"The Orpheus monument on the Slovene square in front of the Town's Tower is almost 5 metres high (4,94 x 1,82 x 0,39 m), and is the biggest monument of its kind unearthed in the Roman Province of the Upper Pannonia. Erected on the site where it was discovered, the monument has generated interest since the 16th century, and has thus become a symbol of the town by the river Drava. It got the name Orpheus after mythological representations carved in relief on it".
Note: Info taken from the net.
The Minoristki Samostan or Minorite Monastery was built in the 13th and rebuilt in the 17th century.
Before the main façade (2nd and 3rd pics), the Column of Mary erected to conmemorate the victory against the turks in 1.664.
Ptujski Grad (the Castle of Ptuj), as it is today, has been reconstructed and rebuilt several times during centuries. Konrad I had the castle rebuilt on the site of the old demolished one. That means that even before the 12th century, there was a constructed castle.Ptujski
Biggest and the most popular general museum in this area - with collections and sections for archaeology, history, cultural history, ethnology, restoration workshops and other services.
At present the museum covers the wider area of Ptuj and Ormož, famous for its rich prehistoric and antique sites (Roman Poetovio), the period of migrations of peoples, medieval and modern age monuments, which bear witness to cultural and economic importance of Ptuj and its surroundings, as well as of rich folklore traditions.
The strategic location of the castle hill attracted settlers as early as the latter half of the third millennium BC. Later, the inhabitants of Roman Poetovio built a fortress and temple on top of the hill, and in the Early Middle Ages there existed a large burial place. Work on the medieval fortress began in the 11th century, when both town and castle were the property of the Archbishops of Salzburg. During the three-hundred years that they lived in Ptuj, the lords also left their mark as founders of the Minorite and Dominican monasteries, and as the builders of the pilgrimage church on Ptujska Gora. The tombstone of the last lord of Ptuj, Friedrich IX, was built into the castle's ground floor. From 1656 to 1802 the castle was inhabited by the Leslies. The last owners, the Counts of Herberstein, occupied the castle from 1873 to 1945 when it became nationalised and, together with its rich furnishings, incorporated into the Ptuj Museum. The Castle hosts the collection of feudal dwelling culture spanning the period from the 16th to the 20th century, collection of musical instruments, collection of arms etc. One of the most interesting is collection of traditional carnival masks of Ptuj area.
- October 15 - May 1: : 9.00 - 17.00 (Closed January 1, November 1, December 25)
- May 1 - October 15: 9.00 - 18.00
- Saturdays and Sundays in July and August: 9.00 - 20.00
In the last decades before Slovenia became independent Ptuj was a bit in the shadow of the economic developent which helped it to conserve a picturesque architectonic ensemble. And in the new economic prosperity of Slovenia most of the town was nicely restored (I still remember what it looked like in 1986).
This castle was often destroyed under its history but in the 19th century bought by the Styrian magnate Herberstein who renewed it and the family lived here until to the end of WW 2. You can climb up to the castle to enjoy a nice panorama stretching into Croatia and Hungary and admire the Drava river and the nice roofs of Ptuj with their red tiles right below.
You may even enter the castle but this time we were too late because of our late and extended lunch (the castle closes at 5 PM).
Pay attention to painting of carnival mask Kurent on the wall of a building near market in center of the town.
Kurent belongs to the so-called group of animal masks - furry masks. Its outfit consists of a fur coat made of different domestic animal skins (especially of sheep skin), of a chainbelt with five bells, of a wooden club with a hedgehog skin at one end called "ježevka" to be carried in its hand. He is a demon which scares the winter away and to brings spring in the town.
The Statue is in the middle of the Town's Square. Due to the constant threat of fires, and after the town had been seriously damaged by them, the inhabitants of Ptuj turned for help to St Florian and erected a monument to him in 1745. On the top of billowing clouds stands the saint dressed in antique military attire. A flag in his left hand flutters in the wind, and the putto at the saint's feet is pouring water from a bucket onto a church in fire. The entire Baroque composition is quite dynamic. In 1761 eight figures of saints were added to the sculpture of St Florian, and literally surrounded the central figure. The monument dominated the not-too-big market place, but in 1865, while the monument was being renovated, the eight figures were removed and the saint was mounted on a new base.
The Town Hall is the most prominent building in Mestni Trg. It was erected in 1907 on the site of Poskočil House, named after a very rich merchant of Slovene nationality, Poskočil.
The Town Hall was built on the ground-plan of the former late Gothic building and according to plans of Max Ferstel, an architect from Graz, Austria. The new Town Hall, where the administration of the Town Municipality of Ptuj is still based, dominates the entire square with its dynamic architecture.
The Town's Tower is the most imposing town edifice which strongly marks the townscape. It was mentioned in 1376 in the Town's Statute. Before that, a baptistery of St John the Baptist stood there. In 1556, the Italian builder Antonio de Riva was commissioned to build a new tower. After the great conflagration in 1705, the citizens lowered the tower a bit for safety reasons.
In 1830, the curate from Ptuj, Simon Povoden, built in the Town's Tower all collected antiquity monuments from Ptuj and the surroundings. Thus was established one of the oldest lapidaries in the open air in Slovenia, called the Povoden Museum.
Slovenski trg in the centre of Ptuj is the scene of an open air lapidary collection, the oldest in Slovenia. This collection was named after curate Simon Povoden who, in 1830, determined that collected classical stone memorials should be built into the inner walls of the municipal tower. Among them are pieces of civil and military tombstones, urns, sacrifice altars, relief votive slabs and ashlars. Most memorials were built into the eastern inner walls and, also built within the walls, the stairway with a landing. To the Povoden Museum also belong the sacrificial altars, dedicated to Jupiter - the supreme god, which are arranged in niches within the northern wall of the church of St Jurij.