Velenje Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Velenje

• s-e-n-i's Profile Photo

see a ski jumping...

by s-e-n-i Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: see a ski jumping competiton!!! It's a night event with really special athmosphere. OK, not many fameous jumpers (it's a contitnental cup event) and not so many people, but for those who want to enjoy ski-jumping itself, it's a really great place!!

Fondest memory: Well.. one thing I surely will never forget is meeting my favourite Austrian ski-jmper: Reinhard Schwarzenberger! Oh, I was so nervous waiting for him to jump and climb the hill.. My knees and hands were shaking and all the time I was just trying to concetrate what shall I tell him :-) And he finnaly jumped!!! The BIG moment was aproaching (just as he was..).. And there he came... and oh, he was so sweet.. ;-)

• anaiis's Profile Photo

anaiis's General Tip

by anaiis Updated Aug 26, 2002

Fondest memory: It took me months to fully capture new name that Velenje was proud of: Titovo Velenje (means Tito's Velenje). Beautiful and prosperous city deserved to carry his name. I was growing up under the influence of communism, socialism and the idea of equality of all the nations in Yugoslavia. All that ideas were brought to me already in kindergarten. I had met many children of other nationalities, which was not rare (and stil isn't) in Velenje - and we really lived Yugoslav dream, because as children we believed in equality without prejudices. So I didn't think of my best friends like about Serbs, Croatians, muslims or something else. I simply saw people in them. In nowadays Slovenia, I miss that feeling a lot. So my fondest memory is feeling of safety, feeling of achievement of a big goal, where everyone was insured, had a job and an appartment, and we really lived tolerant to each other. But remember - I had all those feelings as a child, living in communism. I can't imagine how adults must have experienced it. Probably quite different. Anyway - now I am proud that our city didnt choose to remove Tito's monument. Why deny it? He was part of our history, the city even took his name for some time - until 1991. When he died, for years afterwards there was a practice that we had to stop on the day (and hour) he died. Stop in the middle of the street, stop driving cars - everything went numb for a few moments. With years there was more and more people who didnt stop until finally, some day, there were no mroe sirenes marking this event.

• KiNyA's Profile Photo

The Velenje Castle. It is...

by KiNyA Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: The Velenje Castle. It is situated on the rounded hill which stands above the crossroads of the routes linking Celje, Slovenj Gradec and Mozirje. The 1st written record of the castle dates to 1322. Today it houses Velenje Museum, which represents historical development od Slovene coal-mining from the mid 18th century.
    Again I'm connected with it because of music. Each year there is a zither festival called 'Presmentane citre'. This summer will the castle host the Zither World Congress.

Fondest memory: Of course Ski Jumping (again!). Velenje has the best plastic Ski-Jump hill in Slovenia, so here are organisated international Ski-jumping competitions.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

The town

by croisbeauty Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Panoramic view on the town from the Castle hill.

Fondest memory: Unfortunatelly, there was a rainy day during my visit and the picture is not very clear.

Instant Answers: Velenje

Comments

Velenje Favorites

Reviews and photos of Velenje favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Velenje sightseeing.