Related Bled Favorites Tips

• MEdelmann's Profile Photo

Bled

by MEdelmann Written Jul 26, 2003

Favorite thing:
    Bled is located near Jesenice in the very north of Slovenia on the same named lake (Blejsko jezero). It has about 5600 inhabitants and the population goes back until the early stone age. They have found tombs from the Hallstatt era too and the old relics can be seen the slovenian national museum in Ljubjlana.

Fondest memory:
    Bled is further well-known for its hot springs as well as air-spa destination. The hot springs are deep under the ground and some of them provide also the lake, so this is the main reason, why the lake can get 24 °C in summer.

• COHbKA's Profile Photo

the rain

by COHbKA Written Jun 13, 2003

Fondest memory: It was drizzling all the way to the Triglav National Park Tourist Information Bureau (we went there to - unsuccessfully - try to get the maps and some info for the hike), but on the way back we got cought in a real downpour. We waited it out in a little wooden shelter in the woods, with the view of the lake... Cold...but dry and v. romantic :)

• zrim's Profile Photo

Take a walk around the lake with your sweety

by zrim Written Apr 12, 2003

Favorite thing: Lake Bled is a romantic spot with the magnificent island church and the medieval castle looming from atop the steep cliff. Nothing better than taking a late afternoon stroll around the lake. It is 6 km to circle the lake so plan on taking at least an hour for the walk and another hour or so to climb up the hill and visit the castle.

Becky at Lake Bled
    • Hiking and Walking

• europebn's Profile Photo

One of my favourite photos!

by europebn Written Apr 10, 2003

Fondest memory: I just love this photo. My friends and I are at Bled Castle, and I took a photo of them below. Especially like it because of the branches coming in from the side, and of course the calm lake in the background.

• blaird's Profile Photo

Bled Today

by blaird Updated Mar 11, 2003

Favorite thing: Between WWI and WWII, Bled was a cosmopolitan spa and the summer residence of the Yugoslav royal family. It was visited by many and became a center of political and diplomatic life in the summer.

After WWII it was renovated and became even more touristy. Since Tito had a residence in Vila Bled, Bled was visited by many statesmen and politicians from Yugoslavia and abroad.

No wonder it is popular!

• blaird's Profile Photo

A quick history of Bled

by blaird Written Mar 10, 2003

Favorite thing: I guess they have found stone age remains of humans here, but the Slavs really populated the area in the 7th, then the 9th centuries. Fastforwadr much later, past even when Charlemagne ruled this land, and the Bishop Albuin of Brixen was given the land by emperor Henrik II. Later follwed a transfer of admin duties, a revolt by the people, became part of Napolean's empire, then changed hands numerous times to commercial interests. During World War II, Bled was used to house the German military and civil headquarters, and in 1960 it acquired the status of a town.

Fondest memory: The sun rising and the island and castle becoming visible...beautiful.

In the castle

World Chess Olympics 2002

by europebn Written Feb 25, 2003

Fondest memory: Bled hosted the World Chess Olympics in 2002, which made the peaceful town buzzing for a few nights. We couldn't believe how big this was, especially when we arrived at the hockey rink (where it was held) and found probably over 10000 people crammed into the place. We also tried counting all the country flags, and there were at least 140!
    We only saw the opening ceremonies, which were quite cool, and finished off with fireworks going off over Lake Bled and around the castle. Good times!

• europebn's Profile Photo

Bled: the wonderful friendly locals...

by europebn Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: I really enjoyed it here because as soon as we got there, we were being offered help by the locals.
    The train station is outside the city, so a teenager told us what bus to take.
    Then on the bus, the driver (without us asking) told us it was the second stop to the hostel.
    Trying to find the hostel, a local told us (again, without us asking) that we should go in a different direction to reach a hostel, and also recommended a good pizza restaurant.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Pay homage to two of the most...

by richiecdisc Written Sep 11, 2002

Favorite thing: Pay homage to two of the most lovely lakes in Europe, Bled and Bohinj. From close up or high above, their majesty will not be lost on you.

Fondest memory: I had two choices; stay in the Bohinj area by myself and do some self-exploration or take the ride back to Ljubljana with the person that brought me. Here I was, in the mountains, with ample trails just outside my guesthouse, and the sun was shining. It’s what I came here for. Sure, it might be boring at night, with virtually no one in the area, but going back to Ljubljana meant treading waters that already had become too familiar, and besides, it might be the foggy mess I left a few days earlier. So I stayed. That night, I questioned my choice when after dinner, the owners of the guesthouse closed up shop and I was left with the place to myself. I ventured up the road to the local pub/convenience store, but there was no one there either and would be closing shortly. Of course, they had to kick me off the Internet when the time came and off I went to read in my comfy but all of a sudden spooky guesthouse. The next morning I awoke to a fog that would rival any in Ljubljana and debated on hightailing it back there. But felt stupid having stayed in vain. Instead, I ate some of the breakfast left for me by the proprietors and packed the rest for lunch, heading up the trail to Savica Falls. It was a nice steady incline and the damp foggy air was refreshing. I felt great and was glad I stayed. Even in bad weather, I was hiking and that was the reason I came to Slovenia. Got to the falls in no time so decided to push on and visit them on my return. I arrived at Domna Komi, a great mountain hut, quickly too, but it was still too early for lunch. I had hiked above the fog and it was now sunny so pushed on for the Vratca Pass that would bring me up to 1800 meters. The terrain was surreal and there was another closed hut with what appeared to be the remains of a former settlement. It was now 11:30 and the pass was perhaps another 45 minutes but it appeared there would be no views from there and an ascent of a neighboring peak would have to be made. I estimated it as three hours return to where I stood, and with encroaching stormy clouds, I thought the better of it and meandered a bit as I debated on going down. With a partner, I wouldn’t be able to give up so easily. A few years ago, I probably would have made a run at it and returned only if it started to rain. Older and hopefully a bit wiser, I decided to have a nice lunch there, with some grand views and make my way down to the falls. It had been a great day just the same. I got up and started the long walk down, glancing every so often back at what could have been.

• DrewV's Profile Photo

Climb up to Bled Castle. ...

by DrewV Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Climb up to Bled Castle. Perched on a cliffside overlooking the lake, the Bled Castle offers tremendous views of the region and the clean green waters of the lake. The approach is nearly straight up form the lakeshore, and the museum isn't a whole heckuva lot, but you'll apprecate the feeling of reaching the top.

• DrewV's Profile Photo

Pay a visit to Bled, a resort...

by DrewV Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Pay a visit to Bled, a resort town in the Julian Alps of northwestern Slovenia. The town itself is set on a pristine turquoise-green lake complete with a beautiful island church and fairy-tale castle. The place is heavenly, and if you go in late July, you might find the lakeside grills in full force. The smells of grilled meats is intoxicating.

• Redang's Profile Photo

The Weather in Bled

by Redang Written Dec 8, 2009

Favorite thing: Don't forget tp check the %L[http:// www.accuweather.com/world-index-forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&locCode=EUR|SI|SI000|BLED|&u=1]Weather before the visit.

Bled (Slovenia)

• Vanity666's Profile Photo

Ducks

by Vanity666 Written May 23, 2008

Favorite thing: This lake is habitat for wild ducks. You can see people feeding them, ducks sleeping on the grass, playing in the water. Sweet.

• KiNyA's Profile Photo

Taking pictures

by KiNyA Written Aug 1, 2003

Fondest memory: I always find taking pictures as a nice experience. Maybe sitting in a little boat and taking pictures can be even more interesting if my sister is rowing. She could drown us anytime :-))

Etienne & Katja

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Lake Bled from Castle Bled

by Martin_S. Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Here is a larger view of Lake Bled and the island in the center as seen from Castle Bled. That's Tal and Anna in the pic.

Lake Bled from Castle Bled, Slovenia

Garni Hotel
B & B Pension Mlinar Bled
Latest: Dec 13, 2013

Instant Answers: Bled

Comments

Bled Favorites

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Bled locals.
Map of Bled