Ring a bell make a wish, Bled

Know about this?

• maple_air's Profile Photo

Ding....dong....there goes my wish

by maple_air Updated Jan 15, 2007

ringing the bell

This is me being helped by an elderly slovene woman. I was struggling in pulling the rope ( there is a certain technique,as i've been told ).
    They were a really nice friendly group. The old woman led them in a prayer, and they all joined in a group singing. I closed my eyes and said my own prayers as well. And though i couldn't understand the words of what they were singing, the melody of the songs were really beautiful.

What made that time really special?, I could have come here on some other miserably damp, cold, rainy day, and go inside this church and just find it empty,cold, and ordinary... ..... but instead on this very day i felt lucky to come here, with these strangers around me, filling that small church with their songs,that in this lifetime i may never have the chance to know what they mean,and yet it has given me one of my most cherished memory of this place.

• Architecture
    • Women's Travel

• viddra's Profile Photo

The Wishing Bell

by viddra Written Oct 6, 2005

ring the bell

When you come to Bled and visit the island on the lake, don't miss to ring the bell and make a wish. It'll come true...at least mine did!

The bell's from 1534 and it's in the upper roof above the church nave. It was made by Patavina from Padova.

• maple_air's Profile Photo

....Bells.....and wishes....

by maple_air Written Oct 25, 2004

Church of the Assumption

The fairytale-picture doesn't only end in the presence of this medieval church/ chapel, in this country's only islet, in the middle of a pristine, blue-green beautiful lake, it is only the beginning.

And like all other fairytales, with happy endings, it all starts with a wish.

Inside this church, you will see a rope dangling from the ceiling, attached to the bell, and as they say, as you pull that rope...close your eyes, and make a wish.

• Women's Travel

• travelbug102's Profile Photo

Ring the Bell

by travelbug102 Written Sep 29, 2004

don't pull too hard!

On visits to the church on Bled Island, don't forget to ring the bell and make a wish. For what it's worth - it worked for me as my last wish came true.

A word of advice - tug the rope gentle but firmly 3-4 times. This will get the bell to ring. Some folks jerk it real hard or fast and they accomplish nothing. Some were evening pulling so hard that they were swinging on the robe across the church's floor. I will try to post a funny picture of that.

Instant Answers: Bled

• Mar 13, 2013 at 5:44 PM

All you have to believe and ask the wish from your heart.
    My wildest wish did came through.
    I was 7 when that happened, and now I am 41,, and I am still blown away how that happened.

Other Local Customs in Bled