Bled Warnings and Dangers

• solopes's Profile Photo

Parking

by solopes Updated Dec 28, 2013
    Bled

Before leaving I read something about Bled (in VT, of course) and was prepared to pay a lot for parking. Well, the situation is worse than expecting, and parking by the lake is not expensive - is almost impossible.

I met a place (seeming a private parking) by the lake, announcing a price of 4.50€ for parking. I risked, but couldn't find any place to pay - everything was closed. I left the place expecting to meet the fine when returning, but... nothing.

Maybe you will have your lucky day too...

• Eco-Tourism

• balhannah's Profile Photo

CAR PARKS

by balhannah Written Oct 17, 2011

Car's parked ilegally at Lake Bled

Finding a car park at Lake Bled was a nightmare for us! We drove the whole way around the Lake, and couldn't find a lakeside car park. On our second drive around, and on the other side of the Lake where there isn't much of interest, we found a large carpark, so we drove in.
    We parked the car, and were about to walk away to take a photo, when a man with a bag came for money. There was no signage to say it was "paid" parking, so we were rather surprised. It was very expensive, so we drove out again, especially as he wanted to charge us the same price for 10minutes.........
    You got to be joking!

Be careful where you do park, as you can see in my photo, cars park anywhere because parking spaces are scarce!
    Parking Inspector's do come around, and put parking infringement notices in your window.

Is it really worth breaking the law...........No! We said goodbye to Lake Bled and went onto Lake Bohinj which happened to be very nice!

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Check your travel route

by easterntrekker Written Aug 28, 2008

We rushed and caught the 7:30 AM bus out of Bled to Ljubljana . We wanted to make our train connection to Salzburg. It took 1.5 hours and cost 6E. We then caught our 10:12 train to Salzburg from Ljubljana...we couldn't believe it when the train carted us back to the station just outside of Bled...on its way to Salzburg!!! We should have looked at the map nore closely...too bad the travel agency in Slovenia ,didn't mention that when I asked the best way to make our connection!!

• Trains

• OH_DK's Profile Photo

Take care of the traffic if you walk

by OH_DK Written Feb 29, 2008

If you walk around in town then take care of the traffic.
    All traffic to the villages in Bohinj vally and Vogel ski center is going through center of town, and the walk ways are not wide so have a good look before you cross the main road.

• Hiking and Walking

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Don't mess with the swans

by Dabs Updated Jun 9, 2007

Um, that's a swan, not a bull!

There are numerous signs posted around the lake telling you not to disturb the swans as they are protected, we had a laugh over this as we have an overabundance of them and those infernal Canada geese at home, we're trying to think up ways of cooking them up for Sunday dinner!

As we were walking around the lake we came upon a group of men who had been kicking around a football just lounging about and then we realized that they had kicked the ball into the midst of a hissing mama swan, her two "ugly ducklings" and daddy swan who was puffing out his chest and flapping his wings.

After watching the men trying to wave a red cape as if a matador faced with a ferocious bull, my husband, experienced in swan etiquette, said that mama swan's hissing was all show but you had to watch out for daddy swan who would charge you so while he and one of the men diverted daddy swan's attention, another brave soul swooped in and grabbed the ball, thankfully no casualties to report.

• leics's Profile Photo

Do not.........

by leics Written Apr 20, 2007

Just don't........

........do any of these things. It would be pretty stupid to do any of them really, especially washing your car.

But this notice is quite a long way round the lakeside, so I thought I ought to draw it to the attention of potential Bled visitors, lest they cause harm to themselves, others or the environment.

:-)

• Travel with Pets

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Way up to the castle

by Willettsworld Written Aug 28, 2006

The track up to the castle from St Martin's Church is very steep and twisty and also is unpaved as you walk on a dirt tracl with large stones and some steps. Also it's very easy to miss the start of the track near the church. If you exit the church and go right (in a northerly direction) there's a couple of houses on your left. The track starts between these two houses (see photo which has a little sign saying GRAD on the wooden house) and goes up the cliff where you have a nice view of the church.

• bchurchill's Profile Photo

The Slovene Army

by bchurchill Updated Jan 7, 2006

Assholes! Watch out for these guys...they will post themselves on the road with a little white paddle that has non-functioning red and green lights on either side. Once you figure out that you are being detained, the rude and condescending pricks will patronize you until they're are satisfied that you are completely pissed or humiliated. Having been in the Army and a LAPD Officer I can attest to the deplorability of this behavior. The vehicles are dark colored SUV type. The uniforms they wear are grey, black, and brown in a woodland type pattern. The "Soldiers" that stopped us were wearing dark colored berets.

• markyg's Profile Photo

Where not to eat

by markyg Written Jan 16, 2005

I would recommend not eating at the restaurant on the lake, not sure of the name. Nice place to sit out and have a drink, but generic menu. Much better food elsewhere. In the main shopping mall off the main drag there is a pizza place on the second level that also sports a nice view and has good, cheap pizza.

• Azhut's Profile Photo

Dangerous swans !!!

by Azhut Updated Aug 30, 2004

Well, of course this title is only a joke!! :-) How can I say that this swans family is dangerous? :-))) The lake is full of swans and geese so it's easy to take a picture, but is not the same if you are looking for a big family like this! I was lucky.

• coceng's Profile Photo

The Rain !

by coceng Written Sep 22, 2003

Raindrops !

No danger whatsoever in Bled except the weather !
    It could be raining for one whole day & you couldn't really move freely. No swimming, no walking, no activities on the lake.
    Maybe going to the islet is not safe as well.
    I was there for 2 days it rained at night. I couldn't really enjoy Bled's nightlife !
    The photo shows my Bled's night photo !
    It was smeared with rain ! I mean I even captured the raindrops while taking the photo of the lake at night ! So annoying...

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Triglav NP: unexpected via ferratas

by call_me_rhia Written Oct 21, 2002

me, coming out of a via ferrata

Sometimes in Triglav NP you'll find yourself in front of a via ferrata, unexpectedly. The map only shows that the path is slightly difficult, it rarely tells you you'll be hanging by the side of the abyss clenching to a steel rope. I can't say it's too much fin when you suffer from vertigo.

• viddra's Profile Photo

No Cameras In The Museum!

by viddra Updated Dec 3, 2005

There are a lot of wonderful old exhibits in this castle museum, that I simply had to take pictures of.

Later I found out that taking pictures wasn't allowed.

• Museum Visits

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Oooh, the fast flowing waters...

by richiecdisc Updated Sep 11, 2002

Oooh, the fast flowing waters just behind Gostilna Erlach. Okay, they're not SO fast flowing, but they sure are pretty.

Instant Answers: Bled

Comments

Bled Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Bled warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bled sightseeing.