Bovec Tourist Traps

the Slovenian flag
    by Mikebond

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Bovec

• Mikebond's Profile Photo

Some of the Slovenians I met were not so nice...

by Mikebond Updated Sep 11, 2005

the Slovenian flag

First of all, I must point out that I have nothing against Slovenija and the Slovenian people and that what follows are the impressions I got while staying in Bovec, so they must not be generalized.
    After this introduction, that will hopefully avoid misunderstandings or accusations of racism (which is not at all the case!), I will explain here what I didn't like:
    1) many of the Slovenians I met were too reserved and cold toward tourists. Some restaurant waiters were even rude and nobody ever said me (nor the other students) "dober dan" ("good morning"), "hvala" ("thanks"), "oprostite" ("sorry");
    2) most of the Slovenian students who were in Bovec to learn another language never spoke Slovene to me, although they knew I wanted to practise it. It looked as if they didn't want foreigners to learn their language and culture; hopefully not all Slovenians are like that;
    3) quite a lot of the Slovenians my friends and I met were too nationalists: we were said that they "have nothing at all in common with Croats", "are more similar to Macedonians than to Croats". That seemed us absurd, as if Italians said they have nothing in common with the French. Of course Slovenians and Croats are different, but they have much in common! We saw that Slovenians feel superior to the other Balkanic peoples;
    4) some Slovenians we spoke to did not consider Italia important at all. They only looked at Österreich. They talked as if fascism were still alive and they lived in the Socialist Republic of Jugoslavija, with the Iron Curtain "protecting" them from the West. That is the past! We cannot live for the past while we live together in the European Union! Moreover, many touristic books and leaflets were not translated into Italian, despite Italia being just 20 kms far from Bovec.
    Well, these were the impressions of mine and of some of my friends'.
    I repeat I am not at all against Slovenija and its people; on the contrary, I would love our two nations to have much better relations.

Unique Suggestions: I'd suggest tourists (especially Italian tourists) should avoid to speak about history and politics with Slovenians, because both sides could feel hurt.

Fun Alternatives: The alternative? I will not suggest avoiding any contacts with the locals, because that goes against the spirit of tourism. Maybe, if you happen to talk to a Slovenian, you can make compliments on Slovenija and also, try to speak some Slovene. It could be appreciated.

• Study Abroad

• Mikebond's Profile Photo

"Mala porcija" and "velika porcija"

by Mikebond Updated Sep 6, 2005

All the restaurants where I have eaten in Bovec offer everything in small portion ("mala porcija") and big portion ("velika porcija"), but you are never informed about that and they often try to cheat tourists to earn more money. If only one price is indicated, it's for the small portion but when you order, if you don't specify anything, you will receive the big portion!

Unique Suggestions: Always specify if you want the small or the big portion! The difference of price can be bigger than it seems!

Fun Alternatives: The extreme alternative would be not to eat at restaurants! There can be cheaper ways to eat.

Instant Answers: Bovec

Comments

Bovec Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Bovec tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bovec sightseeing.