Celje Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Celje

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Celje In Your Pocket: highly recommended!

by CatherineReichardt Written Jun 27, 2011

Favorite thing: I have HORSCHECK to thank for introducing me to the 'In Your Pocket' series of tour guides, which we first had the opportunity to 'road test' in Tallinn (when the hotel we stayed in provided a copy of Tallinn In Your Pocket in each room).

For my money, it's a much more useful travel guide than the Lonely Planet or Rough Guides that we tend to use when we travel. In many ways, it's an unfair comparison, as the 'In Your Pocket' series focus on a single city, and are updated every couple of months, so, as you would expect, it is more current - particularly on events - and can provide information on a wider range of attractions than a regional guide which is only updated every couple of years. Also, you do have to have identified the city (rather than just the country) that you want to visit before the In Your Pocket guides come into their own, so I would suggest using a conventional tour guide for your initial planning and then supplementing this with the more local insight these publications offer.

For me, the strength of this guide is that it is written by English-speaking writers who are resident in the city. This means that the descriptions are livelier than often awkwardly phrased tourist material which is clearly translated from another language. I also thought that the mix of attractions and events listed was varied and would appeal to a range of interests and ages.

At present, the In Your Pocket series tends to focus on cities in Central and Eastern Europe, although new titles are continually being added.

For the Celje guide, follow this link: http://www.inyourpocket.com/slovenia/celje

• KiNyA's Profile Photo

Celje through the History

by KiNyA Updated Dec 29, 2003

Favorite thing: Under the stars of the powerful Counts of Celje who were granted the noble status of princes of the province by the German King Sigismund in 1436, the town of Celje came back to life and soon restored its old historical glory. It had become the administrative center of huge provincial territory, owned by the Dynasty, which the Counts of Celje had an intention to unite along a single state boundary. During their period the former borough settlement has been awarded town tights, developing thereupon its construction, economy and culture as a Princely Seat. In fact, in the late period of the Principate, during the last Counts of Celje, the town was the only genuine center of human and renaissance in the Slovenian land.

After the year 1456, following the murder of Ulrich II, the last Count of Celje, the battle between the Counts of Celje and the Habsburg Crown had finished with the defeat of Princes. But even in the period of the hardest temptations after the demise of the mighty Celje Princes Dynasty, the town could not be held back. It was again strong enogh to find new paths and new hopes. The end of 19th century and the first half of the 20th ws the period of flourishing craft and manufacture, and later the erection of new and modern machine factories in the suburban area. Celje steadily and persistently began to transform into a holiday resort town, known wide and around for its attention and domestic atmosphere, wonderful surroundings, curative treatment baths in the crystal clear waters of the river Savinja, gracious cultural life and numerous preserved remnants of its opulent history.

River Savinja with the Old Castle in the back
    • Hiking and Walking

The town centre

by croisbeauty Updated Jul 4, 2003

Favorite thing: Most of the palaces are newly renovated in order to preserve their beautiful facades for the future generations.

Fondest memory: This one is situated a foot from the main square and the Regional Museum. Unfortunatelly, I know nothing about it.

The town centre

by croisbeauty Updated Jul 4, 2003

Favorite thing: The town centre, with its nice architecture and colourful buildings, is non traffic area.

Fondest memory: You can stroll around here watching the facades or varaity of shops which are situated in the streets of the central part of the town.

The Bank of Celje

by croisbeauty Updated Jul 4, 2003

Favorite thing: See this nice looking Bank, just a foot from the main square.

Fondest memory: In case you need to cash your checks, change your money into the local currency, or other banking services, you can do it here. Usually the banks are open whole day up to 8 PM.

Celjska banka

The Post Office

by croisbeauty Updated Jul 4, 2003

Favorite thing: The main Post Office of the town is a very representative building. It is situated in the vicinity of the railway station.

Fondest memory: The post office offers to you the variaty of services; sending and reciving the mails, cashing your traveling checks, money changes and phone calls in case you are traveling without your cell phone.

The Post Office

Tomsicev trg

by croisbeauty Updated Jul 4, 2003

Favorite thing: You may start your city tour of the town right from the main square by observing buildings around it.

Fondest memory: The town of Celje is similar to the many others Central European cities. You may be surprised by its resemblance, perfect location, glorious history and friendly atmosphere you'll meet here.

Tomsicev trg

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Explore the medieval centre of the town

by croisbeauty Updated Jul 4, 2003

Favorite thing: Explore the old core of the town, its nice and have interesting architecture.

Fondest memory: This is the Main Square situated in the old core of the town. This beautiful Holy Trinity column stands right in the middle of the Main Square.

Tomsicev  trg

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

The conclusion to My Fondest Memory

by richiecdisc Written Jan 29, 2003

Fondest memory: Once I gave into the idea, I looked forward to seeing a side of the countryside well off the beaten path and enjoy a nice picnic of cevapcici and beer after the work was done. It was a nice plot of land, hilly and overlooking a desolate lake. There was a small barbeque pit and picnic table alongside the long row of grapevines. I’d assumed they would be white grapes; I had just been in white wine country seemingly around the corner but no such luck. I had my worst clothes on, but when you are traveling, no clothes are superfluous. Like a bull in a china closet, I groped at the sun-ripened fruit and was soon covered in their purple nectar. Tanja assured me she could get the stains out and though doubtful, I plodded on. Soon, the car was full, and off we whisked it to be put in a manual press. I was a bit disappointed that it wasn’t done with bare feet, but remembered the purple stains on my clothes and was thankful as I turned the crank that operated the simple but effective machine. By the time we got back, the cevapcici was done, perhaps a bit too much so. Her mother was worried that they were too dry but they tasted just fine, washed down with some local beers on a beautiful autumn day in a part of Slovenia I’d never read about before.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

country comforts

by richiecdisc Updated Jan 29, 2003

Favorite thing: Though Celje has its own charms, try and enjoy the countryside around it.

Fondest memory: I would probably have never gone to Celje, I’d never read anything about it and it wasn’t on any must see list I’d scribbled over the years, but as chance would have it, I became friends with a VT member from the often snubbed city. On our travels east, I stopped in to see the castle and town, visit her family, have some home cooked meals, and pick some grapes. Did I say, pick some grapes? Yeah, I was on vacation, the window of good weather was looking more closed every day, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. When you rely on people and they show you good hospitality, basically treat you like family, sometimes you have to chip in and help as any family member would. We’d had a great day in the white wine region the day before and the weather was perfect. All I could think about was getting back into the mountains, for perhaps my last hike of the season, but as chance would have it, Tanja’s parents were set to do their annual harvesting of the grapes they grew all summer. She had the older car and it was enlisted to cart the potentially staining precursors of wine back to the house to be “squashed.” Okay, I wasn’t super happy to be giving up perhaps my last sunny day for manual labor, but I was assured, it was not so nice in the mountains of the west as on the sunny eastern side of the country. (continued below)

Tanja's vineyard

• soncnica's Profile Photo

Profile of a little old town

by soncnica Written Dec 17, 2002

Favorite thing: I was born and grew up in this town.
    It was very funny to observe it's development. When I was a little girl Slovenia was still part of Yugoslavia and any kind of private initiative was never accepted, so when in late 80's first boutiques opened ,it was much more fun cause besides the dull things one was able to buy in "state" shops, there was competition at last.
    And now huge malls in the town suburbs are slowly killing little shops in the centre of the town.
    I wonder what will happen next, but I also know the charm of the old town will survive.

Fondest memory: Celje is a town that lies in a wide valley. Ancient remains shows us that Celts had their settlements here and because the river was so close they also had their mint here and used rafts to transport their goods to other places. From the celtic days on the town developed and grew and one of my fondest memories are walks by the river Savinja. Swinging between mum and dad and climb on the statue of ancient rafter was one of my favourite things to do (I know I'm gonna climb that statue one of these days).

Kapucini church by the Savija river

• oja's Profile Photo

Enjoy it. Explore its cobbled...

by oja Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Enjoy it. Explore its cobbled Medieval heart inside out, because it's just small enough for that. Enjoy the colours and the architecture of those dwarf's houses (well, the one on the photo is not really a dwarf's house, it just looks like it from the elevated perspective).

Fondest memory: Just being around.

Shop Signs

by IreneMcKay Updated Jun 12, 2015

Favorite thing: I love shop signs and these were my favourites in Celje. I especially like the man carrying the oversized knife over his shoulder.

Shop Signs Shop Signs Shop Signs Shop Signs

Faces Of Celje

by IreneMcKay Updated Jun 12, 2015

Favorite thing: I love faces carved on buildings. These are some I especially liked in Celje. The first one reminds me of the works of Charles Rennie Mackintosh.

Faces Of Celje Faces Of Celje Faces Of Celje

Church and home of St Joseph

by IreneMcKay Updated Aug 29, 2014

Favorite thing: Like the castle this building dominates the town of Celje from its hilltop location. We got near it on our walk down from the castle, but did not have time to visit.

Church and home of St Joseph Church and home of St Joseph Church and home of St Joseph
    • Religious Travel

Instant Answers: Celje

Comments

Celje Favorites

Reviews and photos of Celje favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Celje sightseeing.