Portoroz Favorites

Boardwalk at Portoroz
    by orlikins

Most Recent Favorites in Portoroz

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Portoroz In Your Pocket: highly recommended!

by CatherineReichardt Written Jun 27, 2011

Favorite thing: I have HORSCHECK to thank for introducing me to the 'In Your Pocket' series of tour guides, which we first had the opportunity to 'road test' in Tallinn (when the hotel we stayed in provided a copy of Tallinn In Your Pocket in each room).

For my money, it's a much more useful travel guide than the Lonely Planet or Rough Guides that we tend to use when we travel. In many ways, it's an unfair comparison, as the 'In Your Pocket' series focus on a single city, and are updated every couple of months, so, as you would expect, it is more current - particularly on events - and can provide information on a wider range of attractions than a regional guide which is only updated every couple of years. Also, you do have to have identified the city (rather than just the country) that you want to visit before the In Your Pocket guides come into their own, so I would suggest using a conventional tour guide for your initial planning and then supplementing this with the more local insight these publications offer.

For me, the strength of this guide is that it is written by English-speaking writers who are resident in the city. This means that the descriptions are livelier than often awkwardly phrased tourist material which is clearly translated from another language. I also thought that the mix of attractions and events listed was varied and would appeal to a range of interests and ages.

At present, the In Your Pocket series tends to focus on cities in Central and Eastern Europe, although new titles are continually being added.

For the Portoroz guide follow this link: http://www.inyourpocket.com/slovenia/portoroz

• iasmynutza's Profile Photo

Freedom&100n

by iasmynutza Written Jul 26, 2005

Me in portoroz

Favorite thing: That place is magnificent!!!Everything is great!!!You can do sports,like beachvolley,basket,football,tennis,ping pong,golf and of curse you can swimm in the clean,blue water.You can stay calm in the sun and just loose time:)!A,and you can`t drown,cause there are beachrescuer;)so,its safe;)The weather its greate too.2000hours on the year is 100nny weather!I really don`t have enough word to discribe that heavenly place!I just say:Go and convince yourself!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Fondest memory: What i miss the most when i am away from portoroz?I will answer EVERYTHING:),but to be more exactlyer i would say the sunny days,the fresh smell of portoroz,the mild wind.I miss to eat an ice cream whitout worries and to sing with my friends ozone or summerhits:)

• coceng's Profile Photo

While Walking...

by coceng Written Sep 14, 2003
    Worth seeing & going !

Favorite thing: While walking, I could see that Portoroz was/is a big resort area where there are many people who would come here for holidays all year round.
    It didn't feel that we were in Slovenia at all. It's more like photos from magazines of big resorts that I could see in USA, Australia even in my own country Malaysia.
    This could be good or bad to some people.
    As we would love to have some relaxed feel of a resort area or town.
    Well, you could actually some spots around the area of Piran which is just a few km away from Portoroz.
    So, Piran & Portoroz are sitting side by side. Choose your area & settle here for a few days as this will make your stay in Slovenia more worthwhile & the distance of these places from Venice (only about 2 hours away !) makes this almost a must !

• coceng's Profile Photo

Walking To Piran...

by coceng Written Sep 14, 2003
    Walking on the way to Piran

Fondest memory: My fondest memory would be walking to Piran, the medieval town about 5 km away to the north west of Portoroz.
    it was really a nice walk with some sceneries, boats, yachts, sea, sun & tanned bodies of people all ages.
    It's nice watching people & I had the feeling that those people were looking back at me wondering where I was from ? Maybe I was lost to Portoroz ?
    I was accompanying by a Slovene friend Ivan who told me about Portoroz, the history etc. but my eyes were caught by the people around me so I was not really listening.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

betonville portoroz...

by call_me_rhia Written May 6, 2003

view of portoroz

Favorite thing: Portoroz is like Rimini... it's also Cancun's little cousin. What I'm trying to say is that there's a sea, lots of concrete, many discos and casinos and hotels galore. It's the place to go to have fun, not to go to the sea... needless to say, I wasn't too impressed

Fondest memory: the fondest memory is the delicious restaurants and the walks to the suburb of Lucja... much more low key, much more "authentic"

• orlikins's Profile Photo

Boardwalk

by orlikins Updated Nov 22, 2002

Boardwalk at Portoroz

Favorite thing: You have got to dive off the boardwalk in Portoroz :) On a really clear day you can see across the Adriatic to Italy.

Fondest memory: Unfortunately I didnt bring any swimming gear but I was double and triple -dared to run off the boardwalk and jump into the Adriatic in my bra and shorts! :)

Instant Answers: Portoroz

Comments

Portoroz Favorites

Reviews and photos of Portoroz favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Portoroz sightseeing.