Restaurant FONTANA, Piran

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Restaurant FONTANA: Slovene specialities and fish

by Dabs Updated Jun 10, 2007

Fontana special

Our guidebook advised to avoid the overpriced seafood restaurants along the waterfront, plus most of them seemed to be underwater so we asked at our hotel where we could get Slovene or Serbian food and one of the places he recommended was Fontana so we headed out in the rain for dinner there, dodging puddles and one older man in boxer shorts and sandals along the way. Piran is very small so it was only about a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

There is seating inside and also on an enclosed outdoor patio, perhaps in nicer weather they open it up but on this rainy blustery night enclosed was just fine with me.

There was one server for the whole enclosed patio so service was a little slow but as the rain steadily got worse and pounded the roof, we really weren't terribly concerned

Favorite Dish: We ordered the Fontana special for two for 16E, it included cevapcici (Serbian sausage), Pljeskavica (Serbian hamburger), chicken skewers, pork cutlet, fries, potatoes, onions and sauce, all of which was very good.

There was also quite a few fish dishes on the menu, most of the restaurants in Piran seem to specialize in fish I assume because it is on the Adriatic.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

restaurant fontana: forbidden food

by call_me_rhia Written Jun 11, 2003

(illegal?) seadates

It's a small restaurant witrh a nice verandah outside: there's not many tables or many people - which is an advantage, since you can be sure that the food you order is cooked right at that moment. For this reason service is relaxingly slow.

Favorite Dish: seafood to die for, speecially sea-dates, which are forbidden on the other side of the adriatic sea (read: italy). They also had some other interesting shellfish: muscoli in italian (i'm afriad i don't know the english word). Meatwise i loved the cevapcici!

Instant Answers: Piran