Thurn Manor has an outstanding double staircase. It leads to the Čebelarski muzej (Museum of Apiculture).
Slovenia has a very long history of beekeeping. Apis mellifera carnica, the Carniolan Bee is today a worldwide known bee though, outside Slovenia, most beekeepers don't even know it’s Carniolan origin. In the XIXth, numerous colonies were exported to California and Oregon
If you want to buy Carniolan bees, they are for sale on line on Carniolan bee
The Museum of Apiculture shows living bees at work as well as traditional beehives painted with amazing decors. It is a must visit.
The sliding beehive was invented in Slovenia. It allows easy collection of honeycombs and easy transport of a whole colony. It leaded to the development a folk art special to the country: for centuries, beehives have been painted with naïve art figures. Many are outstanding. The museum has a large collection of such beehives on display.
You can have a virtual visit of the Museum of Apiculture but the live visit is much better.
Though Art Nouveau Cebeliča is the most prominent building on Gorenjska cesta, some other buildings are worth a look. They are administrative buildings such as Court house, Prosecutor's Office, Ministry of Defence, etc…
Photo 1. At number 16, Gorenjska cesta, Gorenjska banka is in a 1920 building with an ornate entrance.
Photo 2. Close up on the entrance.
Photo 3. In front, on the other side of the street, another building has been built in the same period. The entrance, too is worth a look with the face of a nice lady.
Cebeliča means Little bee.
The Cebeliča house stands Gorenjska cesta, 18. It was built in Art Nouveau style in 1906 as a saving bank. It now houses local State administration.
Photo 1. Cebeliča building;
Photo 2. Closer view of Cebeliča building.
Photo 3. Close-up on the entrance of the Cebeliča building, framed by magnificent twin trees and with the date of 1906.
Photo 4. the side of Cebeliča building.
In the small park near the church stand a series of strange wooden statues, roughly carved.
Photo 1. A pile of school childrens?
Photo 2. A mysterious girl, clad in a long tunique.
Photo 3. The same, shot from another side.
Photo 4. The question is not what you feel it figures but what the artist wanted to figure!
Photo 5. It might have been inspired by Easter island.
Near the church, on the opposite side of the street, stands a large house with stone lintelns. The front of the hose is painted in white and pink. I have been unable to identify the fresco on the right,
Photo 1 in the northern part of Radovljica, we spotted this church. It does not look very old but I was unable to get any information on it.
Photo 2. At the bottom of the clock tower, a modern iron sculpture.
Photo 3. On the side of the church, a fresco with a shepherdess.
Not far from the northern end of Lindhardtof trg, a terrace allows to have a full landscape on the Lipniško valley valley with the Sava river (not seen on the photo). The valley is mostly forests with some farmland
Photo 1. South to Saint Peter (on the right), stands Župnišče (The rectory). St Peter church and the Rectory are not on Lindhardtof trg but on the Market place.
Photo 2. The photo has been taken from the entrance. It shows the inner courtyard.
The vault of the church is supported by Gothic ribs ornamented with starry keystones standing on octagonal pillars. I quote from a document printed by Radovljica’s Tourist office:
The ornamental sculptures and alters are the work of Lodovico Bombassi and Angelo Pozzo, while the side alters were designed by Janez Vurnik, Ivan and Helena Vurnik, Matej Gori^^cnik and sculptors Valentin Vrbnik, Jo^zef Pavlin and Stane Jarm. Paintings by Leopold Layer, Pavel Künland Janez ^^Subic farther enriched the interior.
Sv. Petra (Saint Peter parish church) was built in 1300 in Romanesque style. It was rebuilt and made larger in the Xvth. It stands on the Market place, together with the Rectory.
Photo 1: front of St Peter with its three entrances, built on the model of the parish church in Kranj.
Photo 2: close-up on the three portals carved in Flamboyant Gothic style by Angelo Pozzo in 1713.
Photo 3: Close-up on top of the main entrance with five saints, each standing in a niche (oops, one is missing, empty niche)
The Graščina (the Manor but better Thurn Manor) is the most imposing building on Linhardtov trg, standing at number 1. It has a long history as there has been a mansion in this place since the Middle-Ages.
What we can see today was mostly built in the XVIIIth in Baroque style, when it was owned by the earls of Thurn-Valsassina.
In the Northeastern inner part, the old Ortenburg castle, built in the XIIIth have been swallowed and now almost invisible except in the basement and the ground level. Same in the northwestern inner part where remains of the Dietrichstein castle are also well hidden.
Thurn Manor is the seat for the music school and for the annual Radovljica Early Music Festival
Photo 1. General view on Thurn Manor
Photo 2. Each window is framed with stucco with garlands of fruits and flowers and men’s figures. All the stucco was made in the 1830s.
Photo 3. On each side of the entrance, Hercules hold the building.
Photo 4. On top of the entrance, a womanly figure and the coat of arms of the earls of Thurn-Valsassina
Šivčeva Hiša (Sivec House) (Sivec House) stands 22, Linhardtov trg. It was built in the middle of the XVIth in late Gothic style. The vaulted hall with colonnades in the ground floor is used as a gallery. The first floor was the living quarters of the house, with a smoke kitchen and a granary. It is now used for weddings.
Photo 1. Šivčeva Hiša (Sivec House) (Sivec House)
Photo 2. Šivčeva Hiša (Sivec House) with Mali Hiša (Sivec House) in the background (far left)
The front of Sivec House has XVIIth century Renaissance frescoes.
Photo 3. Close up on the windows and central fresco with a bearded man clad in a white tunic, walking towards a naked shepherdess sleeping under a tree. There are goats grazing in the background.
Photo 4. Though standing 22, Linhardtov trg and built in the mid XVIth, over the main entrance is carved number 33 and the date of 1629. Strange!
Photo 5. The entrance into the gallery is not by the main entrance but by this side entrance, that was closed when we visited Radovljica.
Photo 1. Mali hiša (the small house) stands at 25 Linhardtov trg. Unfortunately, I could not take a good photo as there was a large sunshade standing in front. On the photo, it is the small house with a triple arch on the far left.
Photo 2. On each side of the entrance, there is a bench that was used in the past as a pillory for those condemned
Photo 3. The entrance, with its triple vault.
Photo 1. General view on Linhardtov trg, from the south end, in front of Thurn Manor (on the right). Josipina Hočevar monument shows in the middle, in the background.
Photo 2. On both sides of Linhardtov trg, narrow vaulted alleys lead to inner yards.
Midway to Linhardtov trg stands a fountain with on top the statue of a young boy. This is Josipina Hočevarjevi monument. It was built in 1908 by Joseph Pavlin, a local sculptor from the Vurnik stone-cutting workshop. Josipina Hočevar was a benefactress of the city.
Josipina Mulej was born in 1824 in Radovljica from wealthy parents that owned an inn. At 18, she married 32 years old Martin Hočevarjem. They ran a restaurant in Krsko and various trades (wine, vine, building). She established several grants in order to promote girls’ education and to help students from Radovljica. She paid for setting water supply in Radovljica. When she died in 1911, the main part of her inheritance was used for a permanent funding for 15 grants to students of Radovljica and for a home for poor children. Hence the statue of a young boy on the monument dedicated to her memory. Sadly, as her fund invested on Austrian war bonds, it ran broke after WWI.
Photo 1. The fountain with Vidic House on the right
Photo 2. On the side, a medallion with Josipina Hočevar
Photo 3. The boy with his leather bag.