Ribcev Laz Travel Guide

Pod Skalco - Ribcev Laz
    by solopes

Ribcev Laz Things to Do

• Lake Bohinj

This is a true natural wonder, with the clear waters squeezed between high mountains. Photo lovers will have all the opportunities, no matter the hour of the day, lighting conditions or angle. The site is not hardly explored, and nature is respected everywhere.

• St John Baptist church

A very old church (at least from the 15Th century) stands by the lake. It is open to the public ans shows some frescoes, that were being restored when I visited it. It seems that are several layers with the frescoes, so, it will be interesting to find out how will they deal with it in the final works.

• Four Hikers

The centre of Ribcev laz is dominated by a small hilly garden with a statue on top. It is the celebration of three locals that,led by an Austrian, were the first to climb the high peek of Triglav mountain in 1778

• Pod Skalco

Not far from Ribcev Laz, bordering the lake there's a strange rock vertically cut, that shelters a bar and picnic area. With a small parking, it is used to small events, sometimes with live music.

• Bridge

One of the preferred sightseeing points of lake Bohinj is the bridge of Ribcev Laz. In a landscape dominated by nature, this artificial element fits well, with its discreet and classical construction in stone.

• Holy Spirit church

Two kilometers far fro Ribcev Laz there's a church that stands isolated by the lake. It was open, empty, and with a nice and rich decoration, including a large fresco in the outside. Back home I read that there's a house (I didn't notice) up the path, where the key is kept when the church is closed

• Church of St. John the Baptist

While we waited for the bus to take us to Bled, we walked down to the edge of Bohinjsko Jezero to make the most of the clear weather that day (good decision!). Apparently this is the nicest church in Slovenia. I must admit I thought some churchs in Ljubljana were much better, and less damp! Perhaps they include the surroundings in the assessment?

• Church of St John the Baptist

Okay, I already had a tip on the churches, but this church is very cool. It is a medieval church that was built sometime around 1440. There are some really nice frescos here.As you may know, a fresco is a way of painting using water based pigments on moist lime plaster. Very cool, very old!

• Bohinjsko Jezero

Ribcev Laz, Stara Fuzina, and Ukanc are all located on Bohinsko Jezero (Lake Bohinj). The lake was formed by glaciers, and I guess it used to be bigger, but it is still quite large.This is a great lake for a lazy canoe ride or row boat. The lake is beautiful with the mountains growing out of the edges of the lake.

Ribcev Laz Restaurants

• When you're in the Mountains

When you are hiking the mountains around Ribcev Laz the huts are a great option for inexpensive and hot food. Some kind of local sausages, yum.

• More upscale than I was that night...

Great food, a little pricier than other options, but it served until 10PM. We had just got back from 13 hours of hiking, we were dirty, it was open, and they let us in. It was truly one of the best beers I ever drank, mainly because I was done hiking for the day and completely exhausted. Stuffed squid was delicious

• Ribcev Laz Hotels

0 Hotels in Ribcev Laz

Ribcev Laz Transportation

• Take a Bus to get here

The best bet for public transportation is to take a bus through Bled onto Ribcev Laz. We got on a bus in Ljubljana, through Bled, through Bohinj Bistrica, on to Ribcev Laz. The train also comes down from Salzburg through Lesce/Bled, where you will need to hop a bus anyway to get to Ribcev Laz

• Walk or a bus when you are there

To get from one side of the lake to another you either need to walk or hop a bus. Check at teh Tourist Office if you can't figure out the bus schedule.We did both. We took a bus one time from Ribcev Laz to Ukanc, then we walked another time. Stara Fuzina to Ribcev Laz is definitely walkable.

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Ribcev Laz? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Ribcev Laz Shopping

by blaird Written Jan 24, 2003

Your basic grocery store, with lots of the basics you need. Meat, veges, fruit, bread, juice, etc. But, they don't sell fingernail clippers here, to my dismay. I needed to go all the way to Bohinj Bistricta for that item, along with shoelaces.

What to buy: I got cookies here, they were cheap and good.

What to pay: Typical grocery store prices

Ribcev Laz Local Customs

• Try the Local Foods!

While in Slovenia, I had some great local sausage, good fish, and fun Slovenian desserts. One basic dessert that I had here, and also make at home is Flancati (See picture). It is a pan fried cookie. Very basic, very good, I have seen very similar cookies in other cultures.

• Cultural Clothing

At the cow festival, some of the people wore clothes that date back to their cultural heritage. The outfits were so fun to see, I had only seen them in pictures and on dolls.Obviously, the clothing styles are similar to other ethnic clothing in the general area. You can see the pants are like lederhosen, those little hats are also so Bavarian...

Have you been to Ribcev Laz? Write about Ribcev Laz to help travelers.

Ribcev Laz Warnings and Dangers

• blaird's Profile Photo
    I can read a map, if you give me time

by blaird Updated Apr 4, 2011

When you are in the Alps, make sure you have a map, have someone in your group that knows how to read it, or stick close to other groups. The main trails are marked pretty well, but it is always best to understand where you are on a topographic map so you don't go down a wrong trail.

• Hiking and Walking

Ribcev Laz What to Pack

On the Trails

by blaird Written Feb 25, 2003

Luggage and bags: Have a large backpack to store your stuff while hiking

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Bring both warm and cool weather gear, sturdy boots, and some sort of rain protection. The weather at higher altitudes becomes unpredictable, it can be beautiful during the day and below freezing at night. It can be sunny and rainy on the same day, pack accordingly.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: A small medical kit for your group is advised

Photo Equipment: Thsi is also a must, it is so beautiful

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Sleep and eat meal sin the huts, but bring water and some snacks for the trail.

• Hiking and Walking

Ribcev Laz Off The Beaten Path

• Srednja Vas

Now, follow me:Take the road to Stara Fuzina, and keep on uphill for more 2 Km. You will not repent. The tiny village of Srednja Vas is... delicious. Now it's up to you, to return, or two continue to Cesnika and Bohinjska Bistrica along a nice landscape. We enjoyed it!

• Bus stop

No I didn't use bus in Slovenia, but, travelling with Fernanda how could I ignore this small detail?All bus stop are small wooden shelters with... flowers. All of them with a large and colourful branch of flowers. Now... how do I choose two or three photos from the hundreds that Fernanda couldn't spare?

• Kravni Bal

Kravni Bal (I think that is how it is spelled) - A Cow Festival held in Ukanc in September. I was there on Sept 15 2002. Ethnic costumes, dancing, and food are all highlights, and of course Lesce (Zlatorog) beer. We found out that this little one day festival is held in honor of the cows coming down from the high grounds for the winter. It is a...

Ribcev Laz Sports & Outdoors

by blaird Written Dec 20, 2002

Okay, I didn't do any of this stuff, but i looked into it and decided I would rather go to the cow festival (sad, but true). I spoke with guys teaching climbing on a wall face near the lake, checked out the cost to parasail (about $75), and talked with the guys renting out boats. I believe I was a little wiped out from the hike to Triglav the previous days, so I choose to drink beer and hang with the locals.

It is pretty easy to find info about these sports out once you get to the lake. Either stop at the tourist office near Hotel Jezero or take a walk/drive around the lake and you will pass kiosks.

Equipment: rent it

Ribcev Laz Favorites

• blaird's Profile Photo
    That's not garbage in the bags, it's our clothes

by blaird Updated Oct 20, 2003

Favorite thing: Okay, I have no idea where this goes, but we needed to wash our extremely dirty clothes after about a week on the road. We stopped at the tourist office for tips, they recommended a campground in Bohinj Bistritca (sic?). Here you can get coins for their laundry equipment and freshen up your clothes. Ask te tourist office to call ahead for their hours (so you can get the coins), they are a little funky.

So, you say three bachelors taking care of laundry is amusing? Well, it was. We didn't really know how to use these machines, they were different from in the states. I believe one of our loads got washed three times since it just NEVER seemed to end. Finally, we got our dirtiness taken care of, but it was quite the adventure.

Fondest memory: Was this really my fondest memory...no way, but it is a funny memory.

Instant Answers: Ribcev Laz

Comments

Explore Deeper into Ribcev Laz
Map of Ribcev Laz