Triglav Nacionalni Park Off The Beaten Path

Savica Waterfall (Slovenia)
    Bohijn Lake (Slovenia)
    by Redang
    Triglav National Park (Slovenia)

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Triglav Nacionalni Park

• mtncorg's Profile Photo

POCAR FARMHOUSE

by mtncorg Updated Jan 12, 2010

Frescoes on the side of the Pocar farmhouse

Lying about 10 km south of Mojstrana in the NE area of the park, is the Radovna Valley. Here, where the Kot and Krma valleys end there journeys out from the highest peaks of the Julians, are the beautiful meadows of the Radovna. Mountains spire above on all sides. People have lived here since at least 1609. One family, the Pocars, were one of the 6 families settling in the valley. Their farmhouse, dating back to 1775, at least, is now run as a museum by the National Park, the family having died out just a few years ago. The house is not open often - mostly weekends. The house is a stone built affair featuring a 'black kitchen' within which meats could be smoked. The facade of the exterior of the house has a fresco with St Mary of Visarje which would let wandering pilgrims know that they were welcome on their journeys at this house. It is well worth a stop if their open hours coincide with your travels to get a glimpse into life here in this rugged part of Slovenia. Just this year, much of the road along the Radovna has been paved, making it more comfortable for the inhabitants, but slightly less rustic for the tourist.

• National/State Park
    • Museum Visits

• Redang's Profile Photo

The Savica Waterfall

by Redang Updated Dec 29, 2009

Savica Waterfall (Slovenia)

The Slap Savica/Savica Waterfall is 51 m. high.

How to get there:
    Once you reach Bohijn Lake from Bled, drive leaving it on your right for about 4 kms. and you will reach a parking area (you have to pay to leave the car; 3,00 € in August '09).

Once there, be ready to walk up along a path but with steps and quite steepy. After around 20 minutes, you will see Slap Savica/Savica Waterfall (by the way, you have to pay for walking along that path; 2,40 € in August '09).

Pics:
    - Main: The Waterfall
    - Second, third and fourth: What I saw on the way to the Waterfall

• FRONA's Profile Photo

Alpine Salamander is protected!

by FRONA Updated Oct 30, 2005

Alpine Salamander

This little animal was quite guey and sometimes slow, sometimes fast. Here is a charming photo of it in the mudd!

Status: This species is classified as Vulnerable (VU C2a) by the IUCN Red List 2003.

Description
    The large alpine salamander was first described as recently as 1988. It is a little-known species, that is generally similar in appearance to the alpine salamander (Salamandra atra). It differs in its larger size, the fact that it has a rounded tail tip, whereas the alpine salamander has a pointed tail, and the absence of glandular pores on the back. It is black in colour, has a flattened head and web-like skin between the digits.

Salamander??

by FRONA Updated Oct 30, 2005

Alpine Salamander

Since it was raining a lot during the hike, these funny animals appeared.

Alpine Salamander (Salamandra atra)

This 15 cm long amphibian has adapted to life in damp brush and alpine meadows above the tree line - without access to permanent sources of water. It does not lay eggs but rather practices viviparity. In dry and sunny weather the salamander hides under stones and roots, leaving its shelter only during rain. Feeding on insects, worms and snails, this species is endemic to the Alps and the Balkan peninsula.

• FRONA's Profile Photo

Take your camera along + read a bit!

by FRONA Written Oct 30, 2005

Triglav mountain lilly

Before you begin, your climb, arm yourself with a copy of How to Climb Triglav, a superb booklet with a dozen of the best routes and published by the Alpine Association of Slovenia (Planinska Zveza Slovenije). This 65'page publication, available everywhere, also has a useful illustrated section on Triglav's remarkable flora. It sure beats lugging around the 332-page pictorial Flowers of Slovenia. The much slimmer (and older) An Alpine Guide also includes Triglav trips among its other hikes.

Lake Bohinj...

by coceng Updated Sep 21, 2003

The beautiful Lake Bohinj

Well, we can even another beautiful lake from Vintgar Gorge, if you want to walk for a few more hours ! Lots of walking I should say !
    Lake Bohinj is on another side of Triglav National Park. More to the south of Triglav Maountain. It's less touristy & it's an amazing pictureque little town & quite a big lake in Slovenia.

Please take a look of my Custom Tips for the location of Lake Bohinj in Triglav National Park/Slovenia.

We Could See...

by coceng Updated Sep 18, 2003

Fresco on the Church of St. Catherine

As nobody was around, I opened the gate & entered the church.
    I could see a fresco adorning the wall of the church. It must be hundreds of years old. It's from the 15th century & we could see some fortifications around this church.
    Took a photo of that for the memory.

• coceng's Profile Photo

The Church of St. Catherine...

by coceng Updated Sep 18, 2003

Church of St. Catherine near Vintgar Gorge

The father & son duo took me right back to Sum Waterfall.
    Now, instead of taking the right turn (which I did & I got lost), I took the right turn.
    There are steps going up to a small forest. Much darker forest than the previous one I thought but I kept on walking. More descending than walking flat. This hill is called Hom (834 m).
    Out from the small forest in Hom,
    I came to a small church called The Church of St. Catherine.

I Came To A House...

by coceng Written Sep 17, 2003

Hi mother !

After walking for another half hour, I finally could find somebody who understood the language, English.
    There was this man who was doing some mechanic works on his car, I approached him. Told him that I was lost.
    He called his son who spoke very good English & the guy (a teenager...) explained to me how to re-traced my steps back to Vintgar Gorge because that's the only way for me to be back in Bled.
    I guess I had been walking maybe more than 5 km from Vintgar Gorge & the boy offered me a ride back to the last check-point where I unintentionally took the wrong turn. Boy ! I was glad you could do that to me.

I guess the car was in good condition because the father was sort of saying to his son that they could 'test' the car whether it was working ! So, I was a good reason for them to do so.

I love the Slovenian people ! I could see the mother was on the balcony, smiling to us all & I captured her in my photo for us all to see the time & place in rural Slovenia.

Get Lost...

Trees...around Vintgar Gorge

One of the the best way to enjoy Triglav National Park or even Slovenia in general is to get yourself lost in the forest !
    Well, not everybody would want to do this but I was lost unintentionally while walking in Vintgar Gorge.
    At the last check point, I was supposed to take the stairs up which is on the RIGHT side, but instead I took the left side path.
    I was walking for about half hour when I realised I was deep in a forest !
    The photo shows us that moment.
    Was I feeling scared ? Nah...

I Came To A Village...

What is this I wonder ?

From the forest, instead of retracing my steps, I kept on walking further.
    I mean there was a path for cars anyway, so that's why I was not feeling that scared.
    It was full of trees around me allright. I was thinking of some mammals who might pound on me but that didn't happen. Thank God.
    I came to a small village & bumped into some people. Farmers mostly. Asked questions, but no English was spoken.

I was really enjoying the immensely beautiful Slovenian ruralness at this times.

• coceng's Profile Photo

There The True Triglav...

by coceng Updated Sep 17, 2003

The true Triglav in front of me

While walking, enjoying the sceneries around me, I saw the green thick forest surrounded the village areas.
    That's the true Triglav I said to myself.
    I would love to descend higher & higher, maybe reaching the mountain, but I got tired, thirsty, hungry & nobody spoke English.
    You know,...that kind of feelings.

Bled...

by coceng Updated Sep 12, 2003

Bled at dawn, captured by me

Well, you are in Vintgar Gorge because it's an excursion from Bled. If you reach Vintgar Gorge first, then please have a visit to Bled Town. It's one of the most beautiful lakeside town in Slovenia & maybe one of the most beautiful that you'll see in your life !
    You can either walk to Bled from this Eastern side of Triglav National Park or paddling your bike if you have one.
    Bled will offer you so much activities because of the lake & the castle perched on a hilltop.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Take a white water rafting trip

by Martin_S. Written Feb 25, 2003

White water rafting, Triglav Park, Slovenia

There are many companies that offer white water rafting in several areas of Triglav. Some are located in Bovec and others in Kranjska Gora (that is where we took a guide).
    You can see us just starting off on our white water adventure with our fellow VT members from the meet in Dovje.

• Adventure Travel

• Tetreus's Profile Photo

The mountainpass Vrsic

by Tetreus Updated Jun 9, 2005

It's not really off the beaten path..it's just on the road of the national park.

But..it seems off the beaten path....because it's springtime, but the road is still icy and there's a lot of snow !

Instant Answers: Triglav Nacionalni Park

Comments

Triglav Nacionalni Park Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Triglav Nacionalni Park off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Triglav Nacionalni Park sightseeing.

View all Triglav Nacionalni Park hotels