Safety Tips in Slovenia

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Slovenia

• balhannah's Profile Photo

ENTERING SLOVENIA BY ROAD

by balhannah Updated Jun 16, 2014

Slovenia is in the Schengen area so you usually can drive straight through, I say usually as we were stopped and had our passport checked and stamped.
    I have no idea why this happened, we just thought it was the normal, but it wasn't.
    I would say just to drive slowly through, then if you need to stop you can.
    On leaving Slovenia, we went through the same process.

Slovenia Check point
    • Motorcycle

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Slovenian drivers have very...

by croisbeauty Updated Oct 20, 2011

Slovenian drivers have very high opinion of their own driving skills, but that is not the truth. Some of them cannot see other drivers if driving faster than they do it, and some are not willing to let you surpassing slow cars before they have done it. But, on the other hand, aren't we all like that in our own country?

• balhannah's Profile Photo

MOTOR BIKES

by balhannah Written Oct 17, 2011

Travelling along Mountain roads, we came across many Motorbikes. A lot were in groups, some were on their own. They were going quite fast most of the time, we hardly met any slower, and what I call, more sensible ones.
    The roads are windy, and I guess this is what they like, but they do cut corners, and by the signage, it looks like there might be quite a lot of accidents. We took extra care, and tried to look ahead if possible, so we could be ready for them!

• Motorcycle

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Avoid the indignity of being towed by a Lada!

by CatherineReichardt Updated Jul 27, 2011

Advising that you fill up your rental vehicle with the correct sort of fuel sounds so obvious that you must wonder why I have to mention this, but for fear of making us sound like complete numbskulls, let me share this cautionary - and ultimately inspiring - tale from the Soca Valley in Slovenia!

It turned out that the people carrier that we rented in Italy ran on diesel, but this hadn't been brought to our attention when we rented it (and of course, we hadn't read the manual), so we happily filled it up for the first time with unleaded petrol in blissful ignorance, and drove off.
    Less than a kilometre down the road, the vehicle started to judder and the engine started to knock. With sinking hearts we realised what the problem was immediately, and managed to limp back to the petrol station, where they confirmed our mistake.

What to do? It was early afternoon on a Sunday in a small mountain town, and our chances of resolving the situation seemed bleak. Not so. The garage staff told us that there was a mechanic in town who dealt with this sort of situation once in a while (which made us feel a little better), and offered to call him for us. No luck on his home number, and again, our spirits sank. No problem, said the garage attendant - he usually goes to a particular club on a Sunday, so we'll try to contact him there.

Bingo! The mechanic was indeed at the club, and agreed to come and tow our vehicle into his workshop. Within 15 minutes he was there - but oh, the indignity of our lovely swish new people carrier being towed by a beaten up old Lada!

To cut a long story short, within 2 hours we were ready to roll again. As I recall, the mechanic even offered to lend us the Lada whilst he did the repairs, but by this point, our street credibility was rock bottom, and we didn't think that we could cope with any further indignity, so took a gentle stroll up the neighbouring mountain instead!

We were dreading how much this little episode might cost us, what with it being Sunday and involving towing, so imagine our astonishment when the mechanic charged us 50 Euros! Obviously he also scored an entire tank of unleaded fuel as well, but under the circumstances we thought that we had got off very lightly indeed.

The moral of this story? Well, in many countries, it would have been physically impossible to have made the mistake that we did, because the nozzle of the dispenser pump would not have fitted the fuel tank of the vehicle with which that fuel was incompatible. I have recently been informed by petersnice (who coincidentally lives in the area where this drama played out) that the diesel nozzle is thicker than the petrol nozzle, so it wouldn't be possible to fill up a petrol car with diesel, but unfortunately, as we have proved, it is perfectly possible the otehr way around! Anyway, I can only caution you to check what fuel your vehicle runs on when you take delivery (or, shock, horror, read the manual!)

Secondly, this episode says a whole lot about how helpful and friendly Slovenians are. I can think of plenty of other places where they wouldn't have made the effort to track down the mechanic for us, or where we would have been told to wait until Monday when the workshop opened.

Just one more reason why I love Slovenia!

The indignity of being towed by a Lada

• zoommedix's Profile Photo

Canadian ATM Cards

by zoommedix Written Jun 17, 2008

Warning to all Canadians Their is a very good chance your Canadian ATM Card will not work in Slovenia! bring euros in from other countries. I had to go to the main branch of the bank Of Slovenia and take a cash advance on a credit card so i would have some spending money! even the atm's that should work did not! this was the only place I had problems in europe.

In Ljubljana the main branch of the bank of Slovenia is a short 5 min walk from the triple bridge.

• leics's Profile Photo

Crime and driving

by leics Written Aug 22, 2007

You may well feel, as I do, that Slovenia is the safest country you have visited. Yes, there may be the odd opportunistic pickpocket around (there always is) but, in general, I felt entirely comfortable alone wherever I was, whatever time of day. Take the usual common-sense precautions, and see how many bored police-people you can spot as you travel round!

The strict rules about driving (5 tests to pass, twice-yearly MOTs for older cars, on-the-spot fines for driving too close) mean that travelling by road is far less stressful than anywhere else I've been (and that includes the UK). Stick to the rules and you'll have a most pleasant road-trip.

Somewhat bored policeman
    • Seniors

• leics's Profile Photo

Food and drink.

by leics Updated Aug 22, 2007

Be warned: Slovenian food is exceptionally good, and Slovenians really care about the quality (they aren't into the fast-food convenience rubbish at all). It's influenced by Slovenia's neighbours: Italian pizza, pasta, ice-cream......Austrian schnitzel, meat, cakes........Slavic meat, stews, veggies, sausage........all very more-ish.

And portions are huge!

Then there are the beers (try Temno Lashko for starters), and the wines (Slovenian wines are lovely) and the local spirits (honey liqueur, cherry schnapps......).

So be prepared to take in far more calories than you expected, but I guarantee you will do so with the greatest of pleasure!

A 'small' pizza (honestly)
    • Seniors

• diamond7's Profile Photo

Dont worry; the EURO is now the slovenian money

by diamond7 Updated Jul 29, 2007

This is not a warning!!! is just to say dont worry about the money in this country, as now you dont need to exchange money, cause the slovenian money is now just the EURO, since jan-2007
    The old money of Slovenia (tolar) is now only a "souvenir"

The old slovenia Tolar now is only a

• MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo

On hiking

by MichaelFalk1969 Written Apr 16, 2007

More a reminder than a danger, but do not underestimate the hiking tracks in Slovenia. Stout hiking boots and a good map are a must-have. Some hiking tracks are only for people with good physical fitness - inform yourself with a guide book or the local tourist information before you start on how demanding the hike will be. Other routes are totally easy, like the roundtrip along Lake Bohinj or Vintgar Gorge. We did part of the Valley of the Seven Lakes - hike, which is pretty steep at the beginning (roughly 1 hour 30 minutes ), then less so so once you reach the valley. I would not recommend the real mountain hikes in rainy weather, as some tracks can get very slippery when wet.

• Hiking and Walking

• Dirty laundry

by CCW Written Feb 4, 2005

Laundromats are almost nonexistent in Slovenia, and public laundries are few and far between (and expensive). I finally had my clothes washed at a hotel, and it cost me $20 for two pairs of pants, two tops, three pairs of socks, and a nightshirt!

I'd advise you to bring (1) garments (especially underwear and socks) that you can wash in the sink and that will dry quickly, and/or (2) more changes of clothing. (I'm a minimalist traveler, but this time it bit me.)

• birvine's Profile Photo

Cyclists: Pay attention to 'No Cycling' signs

by birvine Written Nov 6, 2004

On my way from Ljubljana to Bled along a busy but not overly-busy road I was pulled over by the local highway police for riding where it was 'forbidden'. Though the only other choice was a mucky goat path beside the highway which dwindled into a field somewhere, that was too bad. If I went back onto the road they would fine me. As it turns out the tiny roads I did find were exceptionally beautiful and quiet, so I was quite lucky. I forget what the fine would have been but it was quite steep.

• Cycling

• Man Eating Frogs

by blint Updated Oct 20, 2004

Be carfeful of large man eating frogs that protect the castle!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're hungry! They love tourists heads as you can see from the photo!

This is the most dangerous thing you'll find in Slovenia!

Man eating frog devours man

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo

Driving!

by freya_heaven Updated Sep 12, 2004

You would have thought having just driven through Italy (especially Naples & Rome!!) we would be used to crazy driving. Apparantly not................

Keep your sense's with you whilst driving around Slovinia. In 1 day we saw the result of 3 seperate road crashes, which had obviously not long occured!!

• silver_puma's Profile Photo

The water

by silver_puma Written Jun 11, 2004

We were told by loads of people that it would be safe to drink the water whilst we were here. Whilst I drank the tap water without a problem, my travelling companiion ended up with (how shall I put it delicately?) a 'loose' bottom. When we went to the chemist ('Lakarna' - of which there are several in the town btw), the lady (who thankfully spoke good English) gave her some tablets and told her that travellers should alwats drink bottled water as tap water can often disagree with people. She seemed to imply that quite a few people had had a similar problem!

• speedy77's Profile Photo

Emergency

by speedy77 Written Mar 30, 2004

The phone number for emergencies in Slovenija is 112 and everyone has the right for the medical treatment, wheather it is free or not. Well, it`s not actually a warning, but before you come over, check at your health ministry how the medical case payment is arranged.

Slovenia Hotels

1 Review - 1 Photo
Most na Soci Hotels
24 Reviews - 71 Photos

Instant Answers: Slovenia

Comments

Slovenia Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Slovenia warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Slovenia sightseeing.
Map of Slovenia