Alhama de Granada Travel Guide

Not too happy here.

Alhama de Granada Things to Do

• ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Updated Jun 27, 2009

Out - at the top of the village and finally on the edge of the ridge, looking down we found los Molinos, ancient buildings originally connected to the mills that used the waters of the river for grinding cereals and harvesting the vegetables planted in the rich fertile soil.

All this area - altitude 900m at the Pass, was, millions of years ago, submergd below sea-level and continues to produce abundant harvests from the alluvial soil..

Clearly laid out allotments or vegetable patches could be seen. We wondered who tended them and enjoyed their produce. As we gazed down on these apparently abandoned, derelict buildings suddenly, from one, a figure emerged and set to work on his patch. Then another and another...
    Over the next few years we returned several times along this route and each time the smaller buildings seem to be fewer. It is five years since we were last there. There were signs of second home ownership, some improvements in the infrastucture - paved roads and pavements. But local agricultural activity seemed to have declined. I hope the big old mill has been rescued - or as a French friend would say "arrangé".

Los Molinos & Vegetable Patches. Not too happy here. Thats the Pass we have got to go back through. Feel safer here. But we took a different road back to Nerja.....

• davidcross's Profile Photo

by davidcross Updated Dec 3, 2007

This has to be short because it was Monday and nothing was open. Outside the summer season the monumental buildings are only open mornings anyway.

• Architecture

• davidcross's Profile Photo

by davidcross Written Dec 3, 2007

As with Ronda, it is not the top of the town that has particular apeal but the gorge below. Strangely enough I almost missed it. I was dragooned straight down to the hot springs - separate tip - by a woman on the bus who worked in Alhama but was ahving a day off there and then I did head for the top oof the town. i came back, not a little disappointed and found the Tourist Office, where I obtained a map. I headed towards the monumental quarter below and, more or less by accibent, took a short path to my roght to see a church better. I was amazed at what I had so nearly missed!

A good place to graze Into the gorge Near the top - no particular interest Typical street
    • Architecture

Instant Answers: Alhama de Granada

Comments

Alhama de Granada Travel Guide
Map of Alhama de Granada