Alhaurín el Grande Travel Guide

City center.
    Santa Vera Cruz.
    by Regina1965
    The view of the Guadalhorse walley.

Alhaurín el Grande Things to Do

Organic bread. 4 more images

by Regina1965 Updated Oct 20, 2009

Once a week, on Saturdays, there is an organic market in Alhaurin el Grande. In this small street there are stalls lined up with organic flour, bread and cakes and all kinds of organic vegetables and honey. I tried one banana there and it was unbelievable, so sweet. My friends bought a lot of stuff there. It is definitely worth going there if you are in Alhaurin el Grande on Saturdays.

Roman columns on Plaza del Convento. 4 more images

by Regina1965 Updated Oct 31, 2008

Plaza del Convento is a lovely square in front of City Hall and the beautiful church Santa Vera Cruz. On the square stand 3 Roman columns which were discovered close by. The view from here of the Guadalhorse valley is extraordinary. You can see it stretch down to Malaga on the right and up to Coín on the left.

Plaza del Convento is also called Plaza del Ayuntamento.

Santa Vera Cruz. 3 more images

by Regina1965 Updated Oct 28, 2008

The beautiful church of Santa Vera Cruz stands on a hill next to the city hall, with a breathtaking view of Guadalahorse valley. The church and the view from there is a big tourist attraction and every tourist visiting Alhaurin el Grande comes to this spot. It is within a walking distance from the city center, uphill narrow streets, but quite worth the walk. Unfortunately the church was closed when I visit so I can only add pictures from outside. I have added pictures of the city hall and the square next to the church with its Roman columns in my next tip.

Alhaurín el Grande Restaurants

• by frankadam Updated Apr 4, 2011

The nicest restaurant in Alhaurin el Grande with international food. Very nice decoration in an old, very nice restored village house. But the best is the terrace, very nice setting and ambiance and very good priced.

Favorite Dish: I like all their asian-style dishes

• Gay and Lesbian

Kanadian and I. 3 more images

by Regina1965 Updated Oct 13, 2009

We only had drinks at Kanadian and liked this bar/café very much. It is an in-bar in Alhaurin el Grande. During the weekends it is very popular with stand-up comedy and life music, f.ex. pop, rock and Spanish music.

As I try to go to Canada every year I was impressed to see a lovely "imitation" of a Canadian bar/café like this in the mountains of Spain. The inside of the bar/café was rustic and lovely and very Canadian.

• Alhaurín el Grande Hotels

0 Hotels in Alhaurín el Grande

Alhaurín el Grande Local Customs

The Crucifixion of Christ. 4 more images

by Regina1965 Updated Oct 20, 2009

In Alhaurin el Grande and in many more towns and cities in Spain Easter is quite different from what we are used to in non-Catholic countries. On Good Friday on the 10th of April 2009 I visited Alhaurin el Grande especially to witness the "remake" of the Crucifixion of Jesus. I was blown away and my tears started flowing - I think every Christian individual would be touched while watching this, let along the ones who love Jesus. So if you get a chance to go there at Easter by all means do so.

Not only the Crucifixion itself is "remade" it actually lasts for days and the whole scene of the events leading up to the Crucifixion and unwards are "remade". It is amazing, where did we Protestants go wrong that we regard Easter almost as a holiday only, at least compared to events like this one?

The Crucifixion takes place by the church "Ermita de la Santa Vera Cruz" in Calle Convento- I refer to my tip on the church. My friend used to live in this street so we got a balcon seat. There are big crowds in the streets watching. It starts at around 22 o' clock and lasts well over midnight - events like that in Spain tend to start a little bit late. We left at half past midnight but the event went on well into the night. This is a big event and different actors play Jesus every time. And the preparations start weeks before with brass bands rehearsing and kids with trumpets in the streets.

I add a video of a part of the Crucifixion here.

The Flamenco dancers were fantastic. 4 more images

by Regina1965 Updated Oct 20, 2009

As in all towns in Spain there is a feria in Alhaurin el Grande. It is a lot of fun, people dress up, the women wear long Flamenco dresses and the small girls as well (you can get Flamenco dresses for infants as well). There are a lot of balloons and stalls selling all kinds of candy, horse carriages, brass bands and entertainment. There is singing and dancing and eating and drinking - for several days.

There are great shows, both singers and Flamenco dancers. One Flamenco dancer just blew me away, she is 17, German, but lives in Alhaurin and she dances like a professional Flamenco dancer. I add a video of her dancing with the other dancers (which are also excellent). There were also small children showing Flamenco dances - it was ever so cute.

I visited the feria on the 29th of May and it lasts for several days.

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Alhaurín el Grande? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Instant Answers: Alhaurín el Grande

Comments

Alhaurín el Grande Travel Guide
Map of Alhaurín el Grande