Almeria cathedral is in the heart of the old city,it was started in 1524 to replace a predecessor wrecked in the earthquake of 1522. It is a roman catholic church. Almeria was founded in 955 AD.it has a moorish castle. [ Alcazaba ]
The Cathedral was designed by Diego de Siloé and built in 1522 over the remnants of the older cathedral, which was destroyed by an earthquake that year. It has an unusual look, indeed it is one of the few fortress-cathedrals in Spain: sturdy walls, buttresses and a broad, plain roof to have cannons installed. The building defended the city and population from the pirate and bereber attacks. It is only embellished by two Renaissance facades by Juan de Orea. The gothic domes and Renaissance sacristy are splendid. The temple contains works of art by Murillo, Ribera, Alonso Cano y Salzillo, as well as the bodies of Saint Indalecius, and, according to the legend, Saint Valentine.
Don't miss the "Sol of Portocarrero", a sun sculpted in the eastern side of the Cathedral. It has become a symbol of the city. It's popularly believed to be the arms of Bishop Portocarrero, however it was sculpted since the first times of the temple.
The Cathedral is located in the heart of the old part of the city. Its predecessor was destroyed by an eartquake in 1522. In 1524 building was started to replace it by this Cathedral. The architecture is a combination of Gothic and Renaissance.
In 1522 a huge earthquake destroyed the mosque at Almeria, two years later construction was started of its present cathedral on the site of the ruined mosque.
The cathedral was built with fortified towers at each corner, cannons were placed in each towers, for use during the frequent attacks by Barbary Pirates. The city population would retreat into the cathedral at these times of trouble and the cathedral became a defensive structure for the city. In fact it has more of an appearance of a castle than a cathedral.
Also of interest at the cathedral are its two elegantly decorated renaissance portals, the wood carvings in the choir stalls and some works of art in its side chapels by artists such as Murillo, Ribera and Alonso Cano.