Almuñécar Off The Beaten Path

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Almuñécar

• leics's Profile Photo

Laurie Lee memorial

by leics Written Feb 8, 2014

I had entirely forgotten that Laurie Lee, an English author best-known for his autobiography 'Cider with Rosie', had walked across Spain during the 1930s, as far south as Almunecar (As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning') and had later fought in the Spanish Civil War ('A moment of War').

Quite by chance I noticed a memorial to him marked on the streetmap I'd obtained from the tourist office, so of course I had to find it. My Spanish is poor but I think it says he & his wife lived in the town for a few years in the early 1960s.

The memorial looks like the chimney of a typical white Andalucian building and is tucked away towards the castle end of the Paseo Maritimo (the 'promenade'), near to the much larger sculpture in honour of Phoenician sailors in the second photo.

by amapola66 Updated Sep 6, 2010

Marina del este

Popped into Marina del Este for breakfast on our recent visit. It's kind of classy, a quiet place, with alot of villas and apartments and nice boats bobbing about in a pretty port. There's small beach 'Playa de los Berengueles' which boasts a chiriguito, interesting rocks and a laid back atmosphere. There is also a diving and watersports center and I believe you can also hire boats and I guess, park your own! Apparently very busy in summer, but we found it rather quiet when we visited in August.

Had a lovely cafe brunch on a nice linen tablecloth, fresh orange juice, sweet melon, great Fench omeletts and friendly service. A little pricier than Almunecar, but a very pleasant spot . I'm not sure I'd want to spend 2 weeks there though, unless I owned one of the lovely boats in the port! I think the kids may get a little bored there too, but great for a short visit or if you are a boat fanatic.

5 min drive from Almunecar towards La Herradura, easy turn off down a winding road from the main 340.

• Luxury Travel
    • Water Sports
    • Sailing and Boating

Salobrena

by amapola66 Written Sep 1, 2010

Salobrena at sunset

We always visit Salobrena when in the Almunecar area. It has a quirky charm that we always enjoy and has one of our favourite beaches.

To the right of the penon (rock) as you are facing the sea, there is a lovely little cove surrounded by sugar cane. It's a pebble beach, but flat pebbles, so you can still lie on them or hire an umbrella and bed. The beach has two restaurants serving at lunchtime and again in the evening (book or you may be dissappointed).You can also hire peddle boats with slides and watch crazy people jump off the penon. A couple of small shops just before the rock are handy for all your beach needs. It gets very popular in the summer, especially with families, but it's such a chilled out happy vibe, we really dont mind. People watching there is fun.

Our favourite time is sunset where you can float happily in warm, shallow water, looking at nothing but the foothills of the Alpujarra and the odd passing cloud or bird.

There is an abundance of fish which keep small boys occupied for most of the day!

The sugarcane factory, the last working factory of its kind, is now sadly closed. I just hope those developers don't ruin our favourite little playa .

Salobrena is inbetween Almunecar and Motril. When you reach the main road into the town, keep going to the seafront. When you get there, turn right and right again. There is a car park that leads right onto the beach. Everything is easy.

• Beaches
    • School Holidays

Playa de Maro

by amapola66 Updated Sep 1, 2010
    view from playa maro

Playa de Maro is an unspoiled beach just before you reach Nerja from Almunecar. It's slightly isolated and you reach it by an unmade road. There is a tiny chiriguito and not much else except lovely unspoilt views! A friendly little place, not suitable for those with limited mobility. We like it.

• Beaches
    • School Holidays

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

Casa MEU BARCO - high and dry!!

by aaaarrgh Written Nov 26, 2005

house ahoy!!

No, Almunecar was not hit by a tsunami in the late 1960's. But you would think so, if you took a walk up the Avenida Mediterraneo. Halfway along this road, between the San Cristobal Beach and the main N-road, is a full-size concrete ship!!

The 'ship' is actually a home for a retired sea captain. After thirty years at sea he retired to Almunecar and built a full-size replica of his boat to live in. As well as a front door, a garage for the car and a garden on the deck, the Casa MEU BARCO has rigging, flags, portholes, an anchor and a lifeboat!!

The Casa MEU BARCO is not on the tourist trail. Fortunately I spotted a mention of it in a copy of the "Rough Guide to Andalucia". It was a "Must Visit" for me, an architect, of course! And when I found it, I spent ten minutes walking up-and-down the road mumbling "Incredible, incredible" :-)

Address: Avenida Mediterraneo, 34 - halfway between the N-340 coast road and the far west end of the Playa de San Cristobal.

• Architecture
    • Cruise

• El_Sueco's Profile Photo

Eye protecting view

by El_Sueco Written Feb 22, 2004
    Cultivation protection

This is a common view in south Spain, you can see cultivations covered with thin cloth to protect them. Even the Spaniard have protested against this phenomena, which disturbes the view for the tourists(!). It is not so easy to resolve, I suppose, as you get income from "both sides".
    Read about a beautiful road in south Andalucia, not far from here.

• Maggies's Profile Photo

The Natural Park of Otivar is...

by Maggies Written Sep 19, 2002

The Natural Park of Otivar is a really beautiful and amazing place. But there are almost no plants here, looks more like the moon surface... So, Kasia and I did a little MOONWALK here... :-) To see the moonwalk check out the travelogue.

Instant Answers: Almuñécar

Comments

Almuñécar Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Almuñécar off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Almuñécar sightseeing.