Benalmádena Warnings and Dangers

• Warnings and Dangers
    by Geoff_Wright

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Benalmádena

• Regina1965's Profile Photo

A group of bus-drivers who hate tourists!

by Regina1965 Updated Jan 21, 2012

I had seen photos of Colomares castle in travel-guides but it seemed as if nobody knew where it was located. Then I got information on that it was located in Benalmádena Pueblo and I could go there by bus from Arroyo de la Miel/Benalmádena. So I took the train from Torremolinos to Arroyo de la Miel and got on a bus asking the bus driver to tell me when I should get off for Benalmádena Pueblo. By that time I did not know that there is a group of bus-drivers who hate tourists and let them off at wrong locations, sic! So the "joke" was on me this day. We drove into the hills and when I saw a white village I asked if this was Benalmádena pueblo, to which the bus-driver answered no and that it was further on. We passed road-construction in the mountain and close to there the bus-driver told me that I should get off. I had no clue where I was at, it was on an August afternoon and very hot and I was lost. There were some villas down a steep hill and down there I went, no signs of anything until I ran into some men, one of which fortunately spoke English. He told me that I was not even close to the castle and walked with me up this steep hill and showed me where to catch a bus to Benalmádena pueblo. There were absolutely no people at the bus station and I felt like I was in Sahara. Then an English woman came out of the blue and asked me if I wanted to share a cab with her to Benalmádena pueblo where she lived! She asked the cab-driver to drive me down to Colomares castle which is located just beneath Benalmádena pueblo. I thank these people from saving me this day and believe they are angels in disguise. And to the bus-driver I say: "%&# and don´t forget that because of tourism in Costa del Sol this area is blooming!".

I then heard more stories, f.ex. people who were heading for Mijas pueblo were told by a bus-driver to get off at Benalmádena pueblo. And there have been warnings for tourists about this group of bus-drivers. Most of the bus-drivers were on the other hand friendly and helpful. But once burnt then I thought mistakenly that I had run into a bus driver from this group when I was looking for the largest botanic garden in Europe in Malaga, as I suddenly found myself walking on country roads with no pavements at all outside of Malaga after the driver let me off there. But finally I found the botanic garden there.

I added a tip on Colomares Castle under things to do in Benalmádena.

• malaga-girl's Profile Photo

Where exactly in Benalmádena...?

by malaga-girl Written Jan 30, 2009

Benalmadena is a broad area, so if you have not been there before, check exactly which area you want to be in so that you don't get duped.
    24 hour Square / Plaza Solymar / The Marina - the area near the marina most known for being touristy and having nightlife.
    Benalmadena Costa - The whole stretch of road from Torremolinos to Fuengirola and anywhere up to 200m from the road. However, generally considered a 3km stretch from Plaza Solymar to Avda Las Palmeras (between the two McD' 'restaurants'.
    Arroyo de la Miel - Where the train station is located and uphill somewhat. It takes 20-40 minutes to walk down to the coast depending on where in 'Arroyo' you are (add up to an extra 15 minutes to walk back up hill after a day at the beach!). It is the main town centre area but not for shopping (except shoes!)
    Benalmadena Pueblo - The highest part of Benalmadena. The quaint mountain village.
    Torrequebrada - Approx 40 mins walk from the Marina. This is where it starts to get quieter, less touristic and more residential. There is also the casino.
    Nueva Torrequebrada / Torremuelle. - Residential area after Torrequebrada before Carvajal.
    Carvajal - Nearer to Fuengirola. Generally residential.

• Geoff_Wright's Profile Photo

Toilets

by Geoff_Wright Written Jan 14, 2004

I have a note in my little book about the toilets in the Marina Car Park here. Public loos are few and far between in Spain, and I think most people will use those in restaurants, etc. Do make sure you have some loo paper in your bag or pocket. The loos in the Car Park had none!

• Geoff_Wright's Profile Photo

Prohibito de Peros!

by Geoff_Wright Written Jan 14, 2004

No Dogs!!

According to the local byelaws and signs, dogs are not permitted on the beaches. Sorry Beach Dog!

We saw lots of dogs on the beaches in March, some running free, others on leashes, with owneres. One lady used to take five dogs on the beach every dayat Torremolinos!

Instant Answers: Benalmádena

Comments

Benalmádena Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Benalmádena warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Benalmádena sightseeing.