Places to eat in Cadiz

Most Viewed Restaurants in Cadiz

• gildapaolina's Profile Photo

La Cueva de Plocia: Tapas and atmosphere

by gildapaolina Written Sep 19, 2008

Always full of people, this is a typical old bar near the harbour and few steps from city centre, very clean and with fast and careful service. Their salmorejo is the best i've ever tasted in Spain, but they serve several others delicious tapas.

Favorite Dish: Queso frito con frambuesa (fried cheese with berries), Salmorejo (fantastic tomato shake with eggs and ham)

• denis&susan's Profile Photo

El Aljibe: Good Location, Great Food!

by denis&susan Written Sep 1, 2008

We dined here twice, sat outside both times, although the inside looked lovely, the cool breeze was hard to resist. The food was excellent and reasonably priced, Tapas from 4 - 6 Euros, Full Portions around 10 Euros. Washed down with a cool jug of Sangria.

Favorite Dish: Has to be the Lierian Posk Skewers!

• Carmelle's Profile Photo

Balandro: My favourite restaurant in Cadiz

by Carmelle Written Mar 28, 2008

With an extensive menu you'll need a good 15 minutes to choose (aye they've a bilingual menu). The menu covers lots of Spanish dishes as well as modern international cuisine. Its at the pricey end of the market if you earn the Spanish euro, but super value for tourists w fat converted pounds sterling. Ironically, but fittingly for this smoking nation, the ambiant upstairs in the 'smoking section' is more exclusive than the noisy bar restaurant or the basemant, which is also a bit more fancy than the ground floor bar area. The ambient could be described as modern luxury.

The service is far better than any other restaurant Ive been to in Cadiz, where flirting with your husband etc. is part of the non-service norm. Don't get me wrong at Balando you'll be brought the wrong wine, you'll still wait half an hour for your pre-booked table on busy days but they apologise (rare here) and service comes with a warm Andalucian smile, and you'll have forgotten all about such triflings with the first mouthfull of food.

A starter between two and a main course each is much more than enough unless your a glutten. You can always walk it off in the dappled shade of the Habana-esque seaside promenade.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dishes are the caramalised apple, sultana and goats cheese salad to start and the prawn stuffed Seabream main course.

• Business Travel

• La Catedral: Run of the Mill Tourist Trap

by blint Written Feb 19, 2008

Situated just in front of the Cathedral this restaurant with a large outdoors terrace is a bit of a tourist trap that sells average food at a higher than average price knowing that due to it's location it will always be full of tourists.

During Carnival I ended up here with my sister and her friend who were visiting. We couldn't actually get to other restaurants as the streets were full so we settled for this place as it was still open after many other places stop serving lunch. It was chilly so we sat inside. Maybe if you sit outside beneath the magnificent Cathedral it is worth it, but inside it is reminiscent of a school canteen. Well maybe I'm being harsh but it certainly isn't beautiful or charming.

Favorite Dish: I had the pork skewer which is featured in the photo. It was one of the cheapest things on the menu at 12 euros or 12.50 euros. It was Ok, but I know you can eat better for less in Cadiz. What my dining companions had didn't really match quality and cost either. I felt I wasted money on a mediocre meal.

• Arte Serrano: Tapeo & Restaurante in Cadiz Capital's Beach zone

by blint Updated Feb 15, 2008

Arte Serrano are specialists in products from the mountains of Cadiz and have a wide variety of tapas including vegetarian options and seafood too. They also offer sit down meals in their restaurant section and outside an terrace.

It is always busy and you may find yourself standing by the bar to eat your tapas, but at least the prices are really good and the quality. I always take my guests here.

I have included some photos of the food too.

Favorite Dish: I really like the Berenjena Rellena (stuffed aubergine), though all the tapas are great.

In the photos you can see some of the tapas on offer: Boquerones en vinagre, Menudo, Berza, Chiperones, Carillada al toro.

boquerones en vinagre Menudo

• Taberna Casa Manteca: As Traditional As You Can Get

by blint Updated Jan 5, 2008

If you want to go to a place in Cadiz that is typical of the town and the region then the place you are looking for is La Manteca. It is situated in the Neighbourhood of La Viña which is the very essence of Cadiz (this can be demonstrated best during Carnaval).

The Manteca isn't classy, nor expensive; it is simple, it is cheap, and it is Andaluz. The walls are covered in posters of bull fighters and the such, the tapas is served on grease proof paper and the best thing to drink is Moscatel (a typical 'sweet wine' of the region). Flamenco music spills from the speakers and you may have trouble understanding the thick Gaditano accent of the Waiter.

You can come here for a drink or for a drink and tapas. Many tourists and locals alike come here.

Please take the time to look at the other photos attached which show you what I meant when I said the tapas is served on grease proof paper!

Favorite Dish: Mojama de Atun (tapa)

Chicharrones (tapa)

Moscatel (drink)

• Wine Tasting

• Taberna Albaro: Down in La Viña

by blint Written Jan 4, 2008

This small traditional place can be found in La Viña on one of the most typical roads, La Palma. Here you can find really, really LOCAL places (namely bar associations filled with old men) and some good restaurants offering the local dishes.

One day we decided to visit some 'cutre' bars in Cadiz, instead of the cooler looking places on a wine crawl. We wanted to rediscover the essence of Cadiz, so we came down to Calle La Palma looking for something typically Gaditano (Cadizish). Some places we were too scared to enter due to the real 'we all know each other and are all related' look of the place, but Taberna Albaro looked welcoming and, just what we were looking for, very Cadizy.

We sampled the Moscatel and fought off hunger with a large helping of Pulpo a la Gallega for 5€ which was great. The Menu in general seemed very appetising too.

• Wine Tasting

• La Montanera: Great Tapas by the beach or in Cadiz Centre

by blint Updated Jan 4, 2008

Nearby there are a lot of upper end restaurants but this place is more popular with the locals and offers great tapas and full meals at a good prices.

It is clean and the quality is higher than many other places in the same price range. A tapas only cost around 1.60-1.80€

It specialises in local meat dishes.

Favorite Dish: Carne al Toro (meat in sauce)

Parmasana al Berenjena (aubergine)

Pinchitos (skewered chicken or pork)

Filetito de Ternera (beef fillet)

the old centre of Cadiz

• Indigo Blue: FREE TAPAS

by blint Updated Dec 29, 2007

This great little place on the Avenue by the football stadium is one of the only places in Cadiz that give you free tapas with your drinks. Furthermore, it is GOOD tapas (all for 1.50€), though some can be quite small. In fact I prefer many of the tapas here than in more expensive options.

There is also a restaurant part which I'd love to try out, and a large outdoor terrace. There is a modern large TV ideal for watching the football.

The staff are friendly and helpful.

Favorite Dish: Atun Ahumado (smoked Tuna)

Menudo (Strew with chickpeas and other ingredients it's best not to know about)

Pez Espada (sword fish)

• Casa Orrequia: Off the Beaten Path in Cadiz Capital

by blint Updated Nov 17, 2007

This little restaurant and tapas bar is tastefully decorated and the food is of a high quality with an interesting menu. Although to find out what they have, instead of reading the menu, you ask the waiter who explains each tapas to you.

It is not near the normal tourist locations.

Favorite Dish: I really liked the Pescado (fish tapas) which came in a big portion costing 2.50 euros. It is big enough to share between two. In fact that is what me and my friend did, order 4 tapas and share them as they all come in very big quantities for tapas and we wanted to try a variety of things.

Another really tasty option on the menu is the Cordero in Mostaza (mustard lamb). A traditional recipe is used to cook the mustard sauce and you can be sure it is not from a jar! This tapas also cost 2.50€

• Taj Mahal: INDIAN in Cadiz!!!!!

by blint Updated Aug 16, 2007

The Indian has now been open for about a year and is surprisingly successful here in a place where people don't usually like spicy food. What is even better is that the food IS spicy if you want it to be but there are plenty of dishes for those of you who don't like Spice too.

It is a fairly small establishment so try and get there by 10 to be sure of a table.

The guy who runs the place is Indian and speaks Spanish and of course English apart from his mother tongue. The language on the menu is an interestingly natural mix between Spanish, English and Indian. If your favourite dish isn't on the menu don't be scared to ask for it! He always makes me the Phal as I love hot food and it is too hot to go on the menu over here.

I have to add that the owner is extremely friendly and if you aren't English or Indian (who normally know all about Indian food) he is very willing to explain it for you.

Favorite Dish: Phal, Vindaloo, madras, lamb Korma

The portions perhaps aren't so big as I am used to but never the less it fills me up more than enough and the quality is VERY good.

Michelangelo: Pizzeria - Ristorante

by annase Written Jul 15, 2007

Cozy Italian restaurant with the usual pizzas, pastas, antipasti and salads on the menu. I love pizza, so it was no surprise that I ended up ordering one. My favourite pizza is definitely ham with champions..

Their Maroccan waiter with light brown eyes was very cute!

Open from midday to 5m and then from 8pm to midnight.

Inside the restaurant Tables and chairs outside the restaurant

Cantina Cantinflas: Authentic Mexican

by annase Updated Jul 14, 2007

This Mexican restaurant was just a few hundred meters away from the place were I was staying, so we ended up eating there a few times. I had a bit of a bad start for my holiday as I was ill on my first day in Cadiz. It wasn't because of the food in this Mexican though. :-)

I had a vegetarian tortilla which was very nice, but because I was with a vegan girl who ordered the same dish, mine ended up coming without cheese or any sauce either. It was ok, but not great and definitely needed some cheese.

The other time, I ordered a salad with guava, corn, olives and some other stuff. Many of the ingredients were actually from different tins and the whole salad was smothered with different sauces (mayo and something else), so I was a bit disappointed, but my sister was very pleased with her choice of meat enchillada everytime :-)

The Sangria was very good though! ;-)

Open 8pm-midnight

Meson de las Americas: Argentinian Restaurant

by annase Updated Jul 12, 2007

The main dining area of this is Argentinian restaurant is underground in its charming little cellar. You can eat at the bar as well, but for more than a few people, the cellar is nicer. The entrance to the cellar is almost hidden, in the far left hand corner of the bar.

They serve Argentinian steaks, chicken, fish, decicious fried pastries of dough with savoury fillings such as cheese, meat or a sweet filling (empadas), tapas, various wines and desserts with "dulce de leche" (lit. "goodness of milk"), a milk-based sweet sauce popular in Latin America and similar in taste to caramel.

I thought the food was very nice and some of the main courses were really inexpensive (starting from €5,50 upwards) although they were a bit small, but I wasn't really hungry due to the warm weather.

The kitchen is open from 12:30 to 16:30 and from 20:30 to 00:00

Favorite Dish: The empadas were really nice and fresh. I also liked their dessert, banana with "dulche de leche" sauce.

• Aves Gades Taverna Restaurante: Tapas en Cadiz Cuidad

by blint Updated Feb 20, 2006

This little place with a road side terrace too is a wonderfully friendly place. The staff are polite and the service is on the whole good, but a little slow (though the food is well worth waiting for and they never make you feel they have forgotten about you). This is an ideal place to come for lunch rather than dinner though I did notice they had an upstairs which maybe more nighttime oriented.

Instead of a Menu Del Dia (menu of the day) you get a kind of Menu del tapa which consists of 3 courses of tapas which increase in size and quality plus a glass of wine of beer. For each course you can choose between 2 or 3 options. If you sit inside the special menu costs 9€ and 10.50€ if you sit outside on the terrace.

Of course there are lots more things you can order too. The food I saw other people order from the normal menu looked terrific and sizable as well.

I have just been for the third time (it is one of the only places I feel comfortable going alone so Idon't have a lunch partner I come here!) and as always it was fantastic. The food is all made from fresh ingredients; nothing canned. The chef is a genius. All the food is great and original. If you want to have something healthy and well prepared please come here. I honestly can't recommend this place more. It is one of the best places for quality of food at good rates I have ever been to!

This time I went for the normal menu not the tapas del dia. I had aubergine (berenjena) stuffed with vegetables and octopus (pulpo) and King prawns (langostinos) in curry sauce !

Favorite Dish: Pulpo de Ajillo con Jerez:- Which was my third course. This dish came in a kind of stew pot and had potato and other veggies floating around with the pulpo (octopus); also to by sheer delight it had cayenne peppers in which gave it a great tangy/spicy flavour.

My other two courses were Gazpacho (which was the best I have tasted in Spain) and Rabo de Toro (bull's tail) which was so tender it melted even before I got it in my mouth!

PULPO

Puertatierra Hotel Cadiz
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Hostal Fantoni

Instant Answers: Cadiz

Comments

Cadiz Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Cadiz locals.
Map of Cadiz