Places to eat in Cadiz

Most Viewed Restaurants in Cadiz

Pazza Mina Ice Creams

by SirRichard Written Apr 21, 2004

This is a brand new ice cream shop in the very centre of the old part. They make their own ice creams and, though the place is rather small, you can take them away and enjoy them at the Plaza de Mina (a delightful quiet square).

Lately, the ice creams of "Los Italianos" (another place in Calle Ancha, near Plaza San Antonio, 500 mts away from Plaza de Mina) were said to be the best ice creams in Cadiz, but now some people say "Pazza Mina" has the best... go yourself and compare!!! (and repeat if you are not convinced) :-))

The place

Punta de San Felipe

by SirRichard Written Jan 7, 2004

This little bar is one of my favourites, though is a bit "off the beaten path". Is located at the furthest extreme of the harbout left pier, at the end of the Pery Junquera avenue.

There is really nothing around here, but is a good place to stare at the sea, see the bay and the city's skyline. You can only get here by car or walking (about 20 minutes from the harbour).

I like to sit here with a beer and some fried fish "tapa" and watch the waves, and feel the wind.

The tiny bar
    • Beaches

El Aljibe

by SirRichard Updated Oct 14, 2003

An ALJIBE is an underground cistern that most of the old houses in Cadiz have to store rain water.
    This little 2 storey restaurant is located in the old town, near the Railway Station, behind the brick building of the "Congress hall".
    It is nicely decorated in white and brick, in old spanish style.
    They have afix menu for 28 euros. In the menu are typical andalusian dishes, some of them prepared with the Sherry wines of Jerez, and some dishes of moorish origins.

The entrance
    • Beer Tasting

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Hotel Dunas Puerto: Happy Birthday!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Apr 26, 2009

Our previous evening's meal in Sevilla had been a bit of a rushed tapas bar affair and our following night was to be spent in a bed & breakfast on the outskirts of Estepona, so we decided to splurge for once and have a nice sit-down meal in a proper restaurant. The birthday of Sue's sister was the next day so we decided this would be her 'birthday party' meal!

We had earlier enquired with Hotel Dunas Puerto staff about the restaurant arrangements and all went well with our viewing of the menu at 8 PM and then sitting down in their nice dining room area (mostly empty at that time of the evening) at 8:30. We were eventually joined by two other groups of people, but it was a quiet and relaxing meal as we took our time with the various courses.

Favorite Dish: We started off with a large tapas plate of cured ham on toast served on a bed of lettuce and with corn and a few other things thrown into the mix. It was a nice snack as we enjoyed our glasses of wine served up by the barman who was manning his post along one side of the restaurant.

For main courses, the birthday lady chose red wine glazed Sea Bass served with a lemon slice while Sue decided to have Iberian Pork Chops with fries. I was looking for something really different so opted for the interesting sounding Pork Medallions with raisens and sherry sauce, accompanied by fries. We all really enjoyed this meal both for the flavours and the relaxed pace at which we ate in the very comfortable surroundings. When all was said and done, the total bill for our courses and five glasses of wine came to 18 Euros (US$25) per person - a real bargain to my eyes!

The sisters with their meals Cured ham on toast with bed of lettuce, corn, etc. My Pork Medallions with veggies and fries

• Meson de Asador: Spanish Food, El Puerto de Santa Maria

by blint Written Nov 2, 2004

The food is SO good and inexpensive. Especially for tapas. You can get food from all over Spain.

Ignore some of the staff that can be a little rude. Though not all (my friend works there).

Favorite Dish: Try the Morcilla, Patatas Bravas, Pan Catalan, Solomillo or just about anything else on the menu.

Boquerones en Vinagre

• Aves Gades Taverna Restaurante: Tapas en Cadiz Cuidad

by blint Updated Feb 20, 2006

This little place with a road side terrace too is a wonderfully friendly place. The staff are polite and the service is on the whole good, but a little slow (though the food is well worth waiting for and they never make you feel they have forgotten about you). This is an ideal place to come for lunch rather than dinner though I did notice they had an upstairs which maybe more nighttime oriented.

Instead of a Menu Del Dia (menu of the day) you get a kind of Menu del tapa which consists of 3 courses of tapas which increase in size and quality plus a glass of wine of beer. For each course you can choose between 2 or 3 options. If you sit inside the special menu costs 9€ and 10.50€ if you sit outside on the terrace.

Of course there are lots more things you can order too. The food I saw other people order from the normal menu looked terrific and sizable as well.

I have just been for the third time (it is one of the only places I feel comfortable going alone so Idon't have a lunch partner I come here!) and as always it was fantastic. The food is all made from fresh ingredients; nothing canned. The chef is a genius. All the food is great and original. If you want to have something healthy and well prepared please come here. I honestly can't recommend this place more. It is one of the best places for quality of food at good rates I have ever been to!

This time I went for the normal menu not the tapas del dia. I had aubergine (berenjena) stuffed with vegetables and octopus (pulpo) and King prawns (langostinos) in curry sauce !

Favorite Dish: Pulpo de Ajillo con Jerez:- Which was my third course. This dish came in a kind of stew pot and had potato and other veggies floating around with the pulpo (octopus); also to by sheer delight it had cayenne peppers in which gave it a great tangy/spicy flavour.

My other two courses were Gazpacho (which was the best I have tasted in Spain) and Rabo de Toro (bull's tail) which was so tender it melted even before I got it in my mouth!

PULPO

• Taberna Casa Manteca: As Traditional As You Can Get

by blint Updated Jan 5, 2008

If you want to go to a place in Cadiz that is typical of the town and the region then the place you are looking for is La Manteca. It is situated in the Neighbourhood of La Viña which is the very essence of Cadiz (this can be demonstrated best during Carnaval).

The Manteca isn't classy, nor expensive; it is simple, it is cheap, and it is Andaluz. The walls are covered in posters of bull fighters and the such, the tapas is served on grease proof paper and the best thing to drink is Moscatel (a typical 'sweet wine' of the region). Flamenco music spills from the speakers and you may have trouble understanding the thick Gaditano accent of the Waiter.

You can come here for a drink or for a drink and tapas. Many tourists and locals alike come here.

Please take the time to look at the other photos attached which show you what I meant when I said the tapas is served on grease proof paper!

Favorite Dish: Mojama de Atun (tapa)

Chicharrones (tapa)

Moscatel (drink)

• Cantina Zapata, El Puerto, Cadiz, Andalucia: Mexican in El Puerto

by blint Updated Jul 26, 2005

The best thing about this restaurant is the frozen Sangria or Margaritas. The food is cheap with ample portions. The atmosphere is great though you have to ignore the mariachi music. The service can be slow but that's normal for Spain. The staff are all south Americans, though not necessarily Mexican!

In Summer you sit outside in the gardens which is my favourite time of year.

Everytime I go to El Puerto we go to the mexican; it has become our tradition. This place holds such good memories for me!

They are now opening a branch in Cadiz city too which is on the main road as you come into Cadiz (at the cortadura end).

Favorite Dish: Culupa de Vera Cruz with a side dish of Jalopeños

Felix and Carlos at the Mexican

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

El Jardinero tapas bar: Downtown Cadiz

by Bwana_Brown Updated Apr 26, 2009

By 1 PM, we had spent less than two hours roaming the streets of old Cadiz on the tip of its peninsula and it was already time to catch our return ferry ride to El Puerto de Santa Maria if we were to have any hope at all of reaching our next destination at Estepona (which was 150-km and over 3-hours away by the time we re-crossed the Bay and retrieved our luggage).

Favorite Dish: The weather was comfortable, so we sat down in the patio and ordered a single round of drinks to go along with the best plate (no charge) of tapas olives of the entire trip. Service was very prompt and I was glad of that because we could not afford to miss the next ferry or we would be in big trouble time-wise. It was a short stop as we took in our last views of downtown Cadiz before heading off on the next leg our our 3-week journey.

Our outside table in downtown Cadiz

• Teleswarma: Greek/Lebanese in El Puerto

by blint Written Nov 2, 2004

Despite the name, this restaurant serves really good Greek or Lebanese food. The owners are a married couple; he is Lebanese and she is Greek. The owners are really friendly and he is multilingual (French, English, Arabic and possibly more) . It’s a great mix and a wonderful atmosphere.

A complete meal for two usual costs about 40 euros.

Favorite Dish: I always have the Falafel to start and then the Malfuf. To drink I always order the Greek red wine (my favourite is something like Makadonia) it is so light and fruity. You can also try the Arabic deserts they have to offer (they’re great).

Plaza de Toros, El Puerto

• Non Solo Pasta: Italian Food in El Puerto

by blint Written Nov 2, 2004

Freshly made pasta and Pizza, the quality is very high here although the prices are reasonable!

The owner is from Frienze in Italy and is very friendly and if you are a good customer he will give you free drink.

There are actually two Non solo Pasta's in El Puerto, run by the same man. He started with just the one but as it was so successful...

Favorite Dish: My Favourite is the gnocci with the spicy sauce. The cianti they have is very good too, as are all the Pizzas.

• Indigo Blue: FREE TAPAS

by blint Updated Dec 29, 2007

This great little place on the Avenue by the football stadium is one of the only places in Cadiz that give you free tapas with your drinks. Furthermore, it is GOOD tapas (all for 1.50€), though some can be quite small. In fact I prefer many of the tapas here than in more expensive options.

There is also a restaurant part which I'd love to try out, and a large outdoor terrace. There is a modern large TV ideal for watching the football.

The staff are friendly and helpful.

Favorite Dish: Atun Ahumado (smoked Tuna)

Menudo (Strew with chickpeas and other ingredients it's best not to know about)

Pez Espada (sword fish)

• Taberna Albaro: Down in La Viña

by blint Written Jan 4, 2008

This small traditional place can be found in La Viña on one of the most typical roads, La Palma. Here you can find really, really LOCAL places (namely bar associations filled with old men) and some good restaurants offering the local dishes.

One day we decided to visit some 'cutre' bars in Cadiz, instead of the cooler looking places on a wine crawl. We wanted to rediscover the essence of Cadiz, so we came down to Calle La Palma looking for something typically Gaditano (Cadizish). Some places we were too scared to enter due to the real 'we all know each other and are all related' look of the place, but Taberna Albaro looked welcoming and, just what we were looking for, very Cadizy.

We sampled the Moscatel and fought off hunger with a large helping of Pulpo a la Gallega for 5€ which was great. The Menu in general seemed very appetising too.

• La Montanera: Great Tapas by the beach or in Cadiz Centre

by blint Updated Jan 4, 2008

Nearby there are a lot of upper end restaurants but this place is more popular with the locals and offers great tapas and full meals at a good prices.

It is clean and the quality is higher than many other places in the same price range. A tapas only cost around 1.60-1.80€

It specialises in local meat dishes.

Favorite Dish: Carne al Toro (meat in sauce)

Parmasana al Berenjena (aubergine)

Pinchitos (skewered chicken or pork)

Filetito de Ternera (beef fillet)

the old centre of Cadiz

• Arte Serrano: Tapeo & Restaurante in Cadiz Capital's Beach zone

by blint Updated Feb 15, 2008

Arte Serrano are specialists in products from the mountains of Cadiz and have a wide variety of tapas including vegetarian options and seafood too. They also offer sit down meals in their restaurant section and outside an terrace.

It is always busy and you may find yourself standing by the bar to eat your tapas, but at least the prices are really good and the quality. I always take my guests here.

I have included some photos of the food too.

Favorite Dish: I really like the Berenjena Rellena (stuffed aubergine), though all the tapas are great.

In the photos you can see some of the tapas on offer: Boquerones en vinagre, Menudo, Berza, Chiperones, Carillada al toro.

boquerones en vinagre Menudo

Parador de Cadiz
Jerez Hotel
Latest: May 27, 2014

Instant Answers: Cadiz

Comments

Cadiz Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Cadiz locals.
Map of Cadiz