Casares Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Casares

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

A BIT ABOUT CASARES

by LoriPori Written Feb 28, 2010

Favorite thing: In the village's main square, Plaza de Espana, there is a statue of Blas Infante Perez de Vargas, the Andalucia National Leader who was born here in 1885. His birth house is now a museum and tourist office.
    On the top of the hill (14oo feet above sea level) sits the ruined and now deserted church, Iglesia de la Encarnacion which was built in 1505 and remained in use until 1845.
    From here there are some stunning views of the countryside.
    At this time of year, you can see the almond trees in full blossom. I particularly liked the pink flowered almond tress - Almondes.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

CHARMING CASARES

by LoriPori Updated Feb 28, 2010

Favorite thing: Sunday February 14, 2010
    When Carmen asked what I wanted to do for the day, I said I would like to go to a Flea Market and I would like to visit CASARES. This charming, typical white village is only nine miles from the coast, but you would never know it, as it has avoided the throngs of tourists. probably because it is difficult to get to (no local transportation) and parking is very restricted because of the narrow, winding streets. The village is accessible from the coast road N340/A7.
    The scenery is certainly picturesque and there is wonderful views of the village with its medieval fortress perched on top of the hill.

Cemetario

Cemetery with a view

Favorite thing: I was unlucky as the gate was locked into the cemetery when we were there. I took the picture through the gate as this for sure is an attraction! I'm sure this must be the cemetery with the very best view! that is if you need a view after you are dead. In any case, it is a beautiful cemetery, and worth a look.

The view

View from the top

Favorite thing: The view from the top is fantastic on a clear day, and you can see as far as Gibraltar. the day we were there we also observed a couple of falcons in flight. An iron cross marks the fact that people were executed by being hurled over the cliffs here.

• daarth's Profile Photo

The church ruin on the fortification

Iglesia de la Encarnaci��n

Favorite thing: The church is from about 1500, but was heavily damaged during the civil war. I read that it would be locked and deserted, but to our delight we discovered that there was some sort of rehabilitation going on, and perhaps it will be able to visit inside next time we visit

• Archeology

The fortification

The fortification

Favorite thing: The fortifications are a lot of ruins of mixed heritage. Clearly originally Moorish, but used by others at a later date. As I understand it, very much of the damage happened as late as during the civil war when there was heavy fighting in the area. I must admit I have not studied the subject enough, but will be better prepared on my next visit.

Walking up to the top

by daarth Written Jul 30, 2008

The ruines of the fortification

Favorite thing: There are two routes to walk up to the fortification, and both are marked from the square. We happened to choose the one to the right, and I think that was wise as the other route seemed a lot steeper, and was better as a descend.

The square

Blas Infante

Favorite thing: The first place you arrive at is the main square, Plaza de España. There you will find a stature that is important for Spanish and Andalucian history. It is the Andalucia Nationalist leader Blas Infante Perez de Vargas, who was from Casares. He was executed by Franco's rebels during the civil war. His birth home is now a museum and tourist office.

• Museum Visits

The Cementario ??

by Ekaterinburg Written Apr 22, 2007

Cementario at Casares

Favorite thing: I was a bit puzzled by the signs for the 'cementario' because I thought the Spanish for cemetrery was 'Cemetario'. Well, I was wrong and following the signs for the cement factory ( which I suppose is kind of apt) we eventually arrived at the old cemetery in Casares. This burial place, near the church of La Encarnacion and the castle, is no longer in use and indeed how coffins were ever carried all the way up there makes the mind boggle. It is absolutely amazing though and this was the first cemetery of this type that I have ever seen. The burial places are niches stacked over each other and when I saw a picture of it, I first thought it was a block of apartments. I've included the photo so you can judge for yourself.

Picturesque streets and buildings

by Ekaterinburg Written Apr 22, 2007

Enjoying the view from the'Mirador'

Fondest memory: Casares is almost impossibly picturesque. I don't think I saw one ugly thing while I was there. Every where you look there are houses and balconies with flowers trailing downwards in spirals of colour. Red roofs warm the almost blinding whiteness of the buildings and interesting nooks and crannies keep appearing. It's a town where you need do absolutely nothing but walk around, in order to have a good time. The atmosphere of this truly authentic Andalucian White village is hard to beat and the memories will linger on in your head long after you've gone. Another nice feature was the "Mirador" and we came across several in our explorations. A mirador is a place where you can stop and enjoy the views and I suppose in a place like Casares, they are an absolute necessity. The mirador in the photo is right above the museum just directly before the castle.

Local pubs in Casares

by Ekaterinburg Updated Apr 22, 2007

Peace perfect peace at bar Castillo

Fondest memory: Having drinks in some of Casares' great local pubs is certainly a fond memory of our trip.
    The first photo shows the garden of Bar Castillo, right at the top of the hill in Casares, just below the church and the castle. We had drinks in the garden here,all on our own with just droning bees for company.

Later on, back 'downtown' we spent some time in 'Los Amigos which was a very lively watering hole indeed. A television on the wall blared out a football commentary but the hum of conversation from the regulars completely drowned it out. Football was definitely the thing here with team photos on the walls and loads of trophies displayed over the bar. A great place to have a beer.

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

Blas Infante birthhouse

by Carmela71 Updated Mar 1, 2003

Favorite thing: As I said at the begining ...

The house is now a Museum and entrance is 2 euros (can not recomend as i did not enter), I just came to CAsares for business... but hopefully coming abck in a few weeks...

• Museum Visits

Walking down

Spanish village architecture

Favorite thing: Walking down is a fantastic walk through Spanish village architecture, or "sugar cubes" as some call it.

A good tip when visiting Casares is to wear good walking shoes.

• Svitata's Profile Photo

Hilltop

by Svitata Written Jan 2, 2003

Favorite thing: You should go right up to the top of the hill where the ruined castle or church used to be. There's a nice little park where you can enjoy the panoramic view of the surrouding landscape.

Instant Answers: Casares

Comments

Casares Favorites

Reviews and photos of Casares favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Casares sightseeing.