Córdoba Warnings and Dangers

Outside the Mezquita, Cordoba, Spain
    by karenincalifornia
  • Trying to deal with the heat in Cordoba, Spain
    Trying to deal with the heat in Cordoba,...
    by karenincalifornia
    Cordoba - Spain
    by solopes

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Córdoba

• solopes's Profile Photo

Darkness

by solopes Updated Feb 20, 2014
    Cordoba - Spain

Be prepared for a disappointment.

He have seen many pictures displaying the many columns of the cathedral, showing their density and rigorous geometry. We plan to make some good photos, and, at the first attempt, the there comes the problem - the light is so dimmed, that picture demands artificial lighting, but... flash forbidden.

It is not very serious, since the space is so wide that the flash wouldn't reach your subject. The only solution would be a tripod and a long exposure.

OK! We know it, but how come, with hundreds of people, passing in front of your camera?

Forget the good pictures and watch carefully - it will be your best memory.

• Architecture

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

Getting around the historic section of town

by GentleSpirit Updated Apr 20, 2013

Remember that Cordoba has been around since Roman times. The streets of its Historic Quarter,patricularly the Juderia, were not designed for cars and SUV's, rather for horses and carriages. On some streets you will only be able to fit 4 people across and its not uncommon to see people scurry into a doorway when a car comes.

The historic section of town is best described as a labyrinthine. I found it easier to walk along the wide avenue (relatively speaking) along the river and cut up into the area by the Mezquita rather than try to find my way through a maze of narrow streets and passageways. It is very easy to get lost here and a map will often be of little help!

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

The Gypsy

by GentleSpirit Updated Apr 20, 2013

You will see the gypsies near most of the major tourist attractions in most of the major cities in Spain. An older lady will offer a herb , it is NOT FREE! Easier to say "no, gracias" and just get on with whatever you were doing. Be mindful of your valuables as this is often a ruse to divert your attention, watch out for pickpockets!

Likewise, an incident i witnessed in Cordoba. A young man offers to play music for the unsuspecting tourists. He was well dressed. The tourists didn't say no, so the young man sat down and played his accordion for a while and became rather upset when the tourists refused to pay him.

• Museum Visits

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

Torre De La Calahorra

by jamiesno Updated Feb 24, 2010

Steps Going Down the Torre De La Calahorra

This is really not a serious danger but I thought I would add it to my tips. When you are visiting the Torre De La Calahorra the steps are narrow, a little step and winding.

So just be careful, don't rush and enjoy the amazing views when you get to the top!

• Architecture

• Strombus's Profile Photo

Hot-hot-hot

by Strombus Updated Jun 20, 2009

If you are too hot on the beach, don't plan a trip to Córdoba, because it will be hotter there! When I visited it was 26 C degrees in Estepona (sea-shore) and 36 C degrees in Córdoba, just 3.5 hours away, inland!
    If you visit in the summer, make sure you drink a lot and wear a hat.
    If you can, visit in the spring, it must be lovely then. If you can only go in the summer, do go, it is worth it!

• celtic-bhoy's Profile Photo

Flower girls

by celtic-bhoy Written Sep 20, 2008

Watch out for girls or even adult women with flowers. They will try to approach you if you look lost or you look like an easy tourist target. They will try to sell you these flowers by giving you a fake palm reading. If you see one of these girls just ingore them and walk on by.
    I was unfortunately duped by one outside the Great Mosque. She just wouldn't let me go until I paid her 5 euros.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Wilting

by karenincalifornia Updated Aug 10, 2007

Trying to deal with the heat in Cordoba, Spain

We were warned that Cordoba gets very hot in July. Yes, it is very hot, but we went anyway. We're glad we did. We had no choice, other than to miss it, and we didn't want to do that. Cordoba is worth seeing, even if temps get up to 104 degree F. By late afternoon, we just had to slow down our pace. Our trouble was, we had no place really to go. Thinking air conditioning, we looked for places that might have this, but didn't have a whole bunch of luck. We couldn't find the movie theatre that was mentioned in the guidebooks. El Corte Ingles was air conditioned, which was nice, but there is only so much time I can stand to spend in El Corte Ingles.

Paintings had to be kept in a climate controlled environment, so I suggested the Cordoba Museum of Fines Arts. No one wanted to do an activity that required standing on two feet. That meant the Jewish Synagogue, which we couldn't find earlier, but now knew where it was, was also out of the question.

Trying to get creative, I suggested one of those horse drawn carriages, but my son adamantly vetoed this as being too touristy. Never mind that he carries a camera around and is easy prey for the rosemary bearing gypsies. I tell you, it is very tough work being an activity coordinator.

For lack of any better ideas, we sat in the park on Doctor Fleming Street for 45 minutes until dinner and counted the number of empty taxis we saw drive by. (This was obsessive-compulsive behavior to assure ourselves - no just me, really - that we wouldn't have a problem getting to the train station on time after dinner.) Maybe we could have gotten off our behinds, but we were just too darn hot and tired to even move.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

No Quiero Rosemary, Por Favor

by karenincalifornia Written Aug 8, 2007

Outside the Mezquita, Cordoba, Spain

Avoid anyone bearing rosemary like the plague. We got taken to the cleaners by a rosemary bearing gypsy in Granada, and we were not about to let this happen a second time. We saw the gypsies hanging around outside La Mezquita, too, pestering unsuspecting tourists. Just give them a very wide berth, and don't turn your back on your teenagers.

• poppajon's Profile Photo

Oranges... all over the place!

by poppajon Written Jan 27, 2005
    La Mezquita

These are oranges at La Mezquita in Cordoba, Spain. There are orange trees all over the place in Cordoba, and in many other Spanish cities for that matter. Alittle word of caution... don't eat them. They are very acidic, and will probably make you sick. At the very least, not until they are ripe!! Its tempting for a tourist on a small budget to grab a quick breakfeast, but from what the locals told me... its not worth it.

Accomodation in May

by Carmela71 Updated May 25, 2004

Unbelievable. We try to get accommodation during the festival of the Patios, with no luck at all!

Prices of hostels up to 100 Euros

hotels that normally you can get for 50 Euros, were up to 175 Euros!

So if you plan going on May book in advance a few months before! do not leave it for last minute

Juderia

by Carmela71 Updated May 25, 2004

While walking along this little streets, you will be safe, as there are lots of tourist (at least during the day, I had never been at night)

Just be careful of the gypsies around trying to sell you Rosemary and trying to read the future on your hands....

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

Do not come in summer time

by Carmela71 Updated May 25, 2004

Unless you want feel 45 C degrees or more (that is on the shadow) ...

I had been once in July and August and I promised myself never to come again on that time!

Well it is called the frying pan of Andalucia, now you know why!

• ncoutroulis's Profile Photo

Attacked in the Jewish quarter!!

by ncoutroulis Written Oct 21, 2003

Jewish quarter Cordoba

This is the kind of thing that could really happen anywhere. But it happened in Cordoba. My friend and I were walking home after dinner one evening, near the Jewish quarter, when we were followed by some street toughs. They gave chase, and attacked us with broken bottles, and bricks. It was very scary. We made it out alive, but we we're both cut up from the bottles. They apparantly wanted my friends Rolex. That's a lesson to never forget. you need to watch yourself at night on these dark little streets.

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• arlequin_g's Profile Photo

BE VERY CAREFUL

by arlequin_g Updated Aug 5, 2003

In Cordoba it's really hot. Temperatures are really high. When you arrive there you think your skin will disappear and you're going to melt. Drink a lot of water and cover your head. Use sun cream too if you don't want to look like a tomatoe later.

• arlequin_g's Profile Photo

A SAFE PLACE

by arlequin_g Written Aug 4, 2003

It's not dangerous the touristic area of Cordoba. Just take the normal precautions. Take care in the narrow and crowded streets with the pickpockets. Around the cathedral area you'll see some gipsies, just ignore them.

Instant Answers: Córdoba

Comments

Córdoba Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Córdoba warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Córdoba sightseeing.