TAPAS, Granada

by leics
    Second 'free' tapas
    by leics
  • leics's Profile Photo

Bodega La Bella e La Bestia 1: Big tapas.......

by leics Written Mar 15, 2014

Exterior

I ducked into this place when I was soaked, chilly, desperate for something to get my blood sugar up and somewhere to get warm and dry out a bit. It was a bit of a find, and I am pleased I came across it.

La Bella y La Bestia 1 is a tiny bar around halfway along Carrero Darro, the narrow street which runs alongside the river Darro towards Sacromonte. There are four such bars in Granada....it seems that whoever set this first one up hit on a winning formula. The website below has more info, although it's in Spanish.

Inside, it's rather like a UK pub, albeit a very small one, with tables, partially-upholstered benches and barstools, screens playing music videos (I bet they put the football on when there's a match) and friendly staff. One of their big 'draws' is the size of their free tapas...and you do certainly get a pretty good amount, but I noticed that the beer (draft available as well as bottled brand) cost around a euro more than in other places I visited. Clever ploy, eh? :-)

Even so, the place was more than comfortable enough for me to linger over my beer-and-tapas whilst drying out a bit and was well worth a second visit the next day, because the 'free' tapas I got each time was enough to do me for lunch. Well worth the extra euro for the beer, I think.

They also do a standard 'pub-type' menu of e.g. burgers of various types, other tapas and raciones, salads and so on.

This is just a nice, friendly, comfortable place to stop off for a drink and a bite to eat in a pleasant location. Worth seeking out if you're in the area, though I bet it gets packed out at weekends and in season.

• Singles
    • Seniors

• lina112's Profile Photo

Bar kiki: Stop for a drind and tapa

by lina112 Written Sep 19, 2012

We stopped here for a drink after visiting Mirador de San Nicolas. We sat outside on the terrace crowed of people, they have a la carte menu, we had a drink and came with paella as a tapa.

Paramos en el bar kiki después de visitar el Mirador de San Nicolas para tomar algo, venia acompañado de paella como tapa, tienen menu a la carta y tiene donde elegir. Precio no está mal para ser granada y el mirador de san nicolas.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• Gonzalo Gallas street: Good tapas bars

by loupclone Updated Apr 4, 2011

This street, near Plaza Einsteins and Pedro Antonio de Alarcon street is plenty of tapas bars. You will not see many foreign people over there (not like in Elvira street). There are mainly students. Some bars will let you choose your tapa with your drink, and others don't. But almost all the bars around this street have quite good tapas. And drinks are, probably, less expensive than in Elvira street.

More info of bar in that area at the webpage below.

• kht1468's Profile Photo

Tabernas Salinas II: Great wine and tapas bar

by kht1468 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Outside the wine bar

Small wine bar which offers tapas as well.... lovely atmosphere and very good prices. It was so nice we went back there the same night. Free tapas with first drink.

Favorite Dish: We loved the montaditos with caramlised onion and grilled goats cheese.

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

Paella

by SirRichard Written Jan 15, 2010

A typical paella

This is one of the most famous spanish dishes, consisting of a big pan of rice with veggies and meat or seafood (depends on the type) or both (mixta). You can order it in main big restaurants and even find it as part of the "Menu del dia" in some specific days of the week.
    They normally serve it for a minimum of 2 persons.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Cafe Central

by barryg23 Updated Dec 5, 2009
    Dinner in Cafe Central

Cafe Central is one of the better valued cafes on Calle del Elvira, a street very popular with visitors to Granada thanks to its many restaurants and tapas bars.

We had already been to a few bars before we reached Central, but we were still hungry so we ordered plates of manchego cheese, serrano ham and beer.

The food was delicious and quite good value. I wasn't as big a fan of Cafe Central as of other tapas bars we visited in the city, mainly because it's a little less intimate and not as friendly, but it's still a good option for a reliable and good value meal in quite touristy part of the city.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Bar Aixa

by barryg23 Updated Dec 5, 2009
    Tapas in Bar Aixa

Bar Aixa is a great place to start an evening of tapas-bars-hopping around Granada. It's located on Plaza Larga, a small, picturesque square in the Albaicin district of the city.

Aixa has a small terrace on the square, as well as couple of tables indoors, though most people were drinking and eating tapas at the bar. As in all the bars in Granada, tapas are free when you order a drink, with a different tapas for each drink your order. We were given two delicious sandwiches and olives to accompany our beers and wine. Prices are good too, a beer and wine came to about 3 Euros in total.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Restaurante Torres Bermejas: Excellent service - conveniently located!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Feb 28, 2009

Relaxing in the outside table area

After 4 hours of tromping around the Alhambra, I was ready for a little relaxation when we returned to our hostal. While the ladies went to our room to freshen up, I just continued down the street the short distance to Plaza Nueva where the excellent Restaurante Torres Bermejas is located. I had also sought refuge there for a cold beer the day before following my hours-long episode of dealing with the streets and traffic of Granada as we tried to find our hostal.

With the sun shining and many other customers also enjoying the ambiance, it was very relaxing to just observe the Alhambra high above and the historic buildings surrounding the Plaza.

Favorite Dish: I ordered just a glass of wine while I sat down with my DK Eyewitness travel book on Andalusia but the waiter returned with a delicious free tapas plate as well. It turned out to be meatballs and cooked potatoe chunks in a sauce along with fresh bread. The ladies soon joined me and another tapas plate of a different sort accompanied their drinks. This retaurant is also supposed to have an excellent reputation for its meals, but we never actually ate there - it was just a nice place to sit and watch Granada go by.

• Eden: This place actually does vegetarian tapas!!!

by carol1972 Written Feb 19, 2009

As a vegetarian I was getting pretty tired of having to explain in my broken Spanish to uncomprehending Spanish waiters that I ONLY EAT VEGETABLES and that last time I checked Jamon Serrano is not a vegetable. My latest tapas excursion led me by accident to a quirky place in Campo del principe, where you actually get a choice. Its not a vegetarian place (their specialty is argentinian steak, which my friend tells me was quite delicious) but they are at least docking their hat to the likes of me. I had tapas of cous cous fritters, and aubergines, while my meat-eating counterparts tucked into their steaks. I was very pleasantly surprised. They have a few vegetarian dishes on the menu and I will probably go back for dinner - in winter they close weekday lunchtimes which is a shame as its a good stop off on the way back from the alhambra. Also the owner is either English or speaks very good English which was handy!

Eden is set in a square at the foot of the Alhambra Palace Hotel and is one way down from the Alhambra. I visited in winter, so the square was pretty quiet, but its meant to be a buzzing place in summer with the bars and restaurants all having seating looking onto the square.

Favorite Dish: The cous cous fritters were unusual but very satisfying! I had never seen them before in Granada. My friends insist I mention the steak here, even though I will have to take their word for it!

Taberna de Baco: Tapas with a Peruvian Twist

by raquelitalarga Updated Sep 4, 2008

Campo del Principe has a row of about 7 or 8 restaurant/bars with shady outside seating. Taberna de Baco is at the end on the Escuelas corner and has the usual free tapas to offer but also (as one of the the owners is Peruvian) there are some racion options (which you pay for) from his homeland.
    *'La Ninfa' pizzeria restaurant is in that row... it looks charming with the plates on the wall but food is often bad so say friends!

Favorite Dish: Try the Peruvian dish with minced lamb, raisins, cumin and a crushed sweetcorn topping, or go for snails, or dates wrapped in bacon.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Puerto de la Mora: TAPAS (for free, for real)

by Martin_S. Updated Sep 3, 2008

Tapas, free offerings, Granada, Spain

For the first time we experienced a FREE TAPAS...yes totally free with our order of beer. Stacey, Carmen and I were beginning to think that it would never happen, but here in Granada we stopped after a long day of touring, just by chance in one of the pubs just off the main street and we discovered that we got free tapas with our beer.

Favorite Dish: I must apologise at this point and say that I did not write down the address of the establishment, nor get a calling card, or photograph the place, sorry, it had been a long day....tired by happy, just wanted to let you know that the legendary free tapas with beer DOES exist, although it is NOT COMMON.

• florry's Profile Photo

Many names: Dont miss any BAR-CAFE

by florry Written Jul 6, 2008
    enjoying food and drink

In granada i never go out for a meal..i eat tapas.With every drink you order you get some tapas...i like to change the bar after a few to taste different tapas as every bar has they specialitys..in some bars mostly in the tourist area you need to ask sometimes so they give you the free tapas.

Favorite Dish: There soo many dishes i like..hmmm i like some chicken in a spice tomatoe sauce..pasta and spinach...

• raquelitalarga's Profile Photo

Romero: Romero has massive delicious tapas

by raquelitalarga Updated Jun 29, 2008

This is FREE!!

This is a friendly, efficient bar which is always packed out by locals who know they will get large amounts of quality food for the price of a beer. There are about 10 tapa choices. Our goal was always to try to eat our way through the board in a sitting but it is too filling!
    It is slightly out of the centre but easy to get to by bus and even has a view of the Alhambra hill if you crane your neck
    * UPDATE They have reduced the variety on the menu! Although still a good bar probably best to visit now only if in the area rather than making a special trip ;(

• raquelitalarga's Profile Photo

D'cuadros: D'Cuadros-a Studenty Bar!

by raquelitalarga Updated Mar 21, 2008

This is very popular( not only with with trendy young things) because the tapas is very tasty, a bit different to other places you can try in Granada. Portions are quite big too!
    I always had the 'berenjenas con miel'- fried aubergine with honey.
    There are quite a few bars hidden away in the side streets of this barrio, most a bit more studenty as it's nearer the university.
    They are so successful now there is another near Camino de Ronda apparently.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Cerveceria la Plaza: tapas to die for

by call_me_rhia Updated Mar 17, 2008

solomillo and olives

The perfect tapa place... simple and friendly, with a delightful wooden interior and excellent friendly staff, in particular the Colombian barman.

Favorite Dish: We stopped in this cerveceria because the sign said it had pulpo a la gallega, one of my favourite dishes... of course they had run out of it. We decided to share some olives, a ham plate (yummy), some grilled solomillo (very good) and some habas con jamon, which was really out of this world - I really regretted having to share it... it has since become my favourite Andalusian dish.

Instant Answers: Granada