TAPAS, Granada

by leics
    Second 'free' tapas
    by leics
  • suvanki's Profile Photo

Gran Cafe Plaza Bib- Rambla: Elegant place to people watch.

by suvanki Updated Nov 29, 2007

Plaza Bib- Rambla, Granada

Bib- Rambla was one of my favourite places in Granada- This Square is surrounded by pavement cafes, with the chance to eat, drink and people watch.

The Gran Cafe was my choice for a welcome sit down to enjoy a lunch time cool beer, and watch Granada pass by. My fellow diners/ drinkers were a mix of elderly ladys enjoying a campari and a light snack, elderly couples on holiday, groups of friends/work mates, business men and a few tourists.

From the info on my serviette, I think this cafe was established in 1907 and has run ever since (just a guess) - 'El cafe mas antiguo de Granada Abierto ininterrumpidamente desde 1907'

The waiters were smart, friendly and efficient, I was pleased that they didn't patronise me for my poor Spanish, when I tried to order a small beer. This was served with tapas-a bowl of delicious plump olives- Mmmmmm!
    From my viewpoint, I could see a group of school children sitting near the fountain, stone masons, repairing the 'mosaic' flooring, and locals/tourists passing through the square.

Favorite Dish: I only tried a beer, accompanied by a tapas of olives, but my fellow diners plates appeared to be full of delicious food- hopefully, I'll be back soon to find out for myself!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Restaurante Torres Bermejas: Excellent service - conveniently located!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Feb 28, 2009

Relaxing in the outside table area

After 4 hours of tromping around the Alhambra, I was ready for a little relaxation when we returned to our hostal. While the ladies went to our room to freshen up, I just continued down the street the short distance to Plaza Nueva where the excellent Restaurante Torres Bermejas is located. I had also sought refuge there for a cold beer the day before following my hours-long episode of dealing with the streets and traffic of Granada as we tried to find our hostal.

With the sun shining and many other customers also enjoying the ambiance, it was very relaxing to just observe the Alhambra high above and the historic buildings surrounding the Plaza.

Favorite Dish: I ordered just a glass of wine while I sat down with my DK Eyewitness travel book on Andalusia but the waiter returned with a delicious free tapas plate as well. It turned out to be meatballs and cooked potatoe chunks in a sauce along with fresh bread. The ladies soon joined me and another tapas plate of a different sort accompanied their drinks. This retaurant is also supposed to have an excellent reputation for its meals, but we never actually ate there - it was just a nice place to sit and watch Granada go by.

• cristinaap3's Profile Photo

Pan & Tomate: My favorite Granada meal

by cristinaap3 Written May 2, 2007

It's almost a rule: you go to Spain, you eat tapas. However, choosing a decent tapa place can be tricky, especially because there are so many tourist traps out there, waiting for you to pay 10 euros for a slice of Iberico ham. But fear not - Pan & Tomate is a wonderful place where you won't be disappointed. This restaurant offers great local food such as fish and tapas, as well as tostas, which are a large slice of bread topped with cheese, ham, chicken, fish... pretty much whatever you want, there are many choices here and they're all great. I recommend the artichoke tapas, and the 3 best tostas: chicken curry, bacalao (cod) and salmorejo, and chorizo with manchego cheese. Service is quick and friendly, and it's overall a really nice experience.

Favorite Dish: Tosta de bacalao y samorejo. It's light, salty, fresh, absolutely delicious.

• lina112's Profile Photo

Taberna El Espejo: Tapas, Tapas, Tapas..........

by lina112 Written Feb 28, 2008

Tapas............

What i can say about tapas?.......Well Granada is the best place to have a good drink with a delicious tapa. Calle Elvira is the most popular street in Granada for having tapas and we enjoyed here in taberna el espejo. We had ham-croquette, russian salad, cheese, salmojero and broad bean with ham, this last one very popular dish in Granada.

Que se puede decir de las tapas que no se haya dicho. Granada es sin duda el mejor sitio para ir de tapas. Calle Elvira es la mas popular de Granada para ir de tapeo. Estuvimos en la taberna el espejo y comimos una ración de croquetas de jamón, y tapas de ensaladilla rusa, salmorejo, queso curado y habitas con jamón, éstas últimas muy tradicionales en Granada.

• Gonzalo Gallas street: Good tapas bars

by loupclone Updated Apr 4, 2011

This street, near Plaza Einsteins and Pedro Antonio de Alarcon street is plenty of tapas bars. You will not see many foreign people over there (not like in Elvira street). There are mainly students. Some bars will let you choose your tapa with your drink, and others don't. But almost all the bars around this street have quite good tapas. And drinks are, probably, less expensive than in Elvira street.

More info of bar in that area at the webpage below.

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

Calle Navas & Calle Elviria

by Carmela71 Updated Mar 6, 2004

Calle Navas logo

This two streets have many "bares" where you can enjoy free tapas with your drinks

In calle Navas, there is a great Galician bar just at the entrances at the right.... I hardly recommend it to everyone, sorry do not know the name .. but by sure it was the only galician.. I have been there in all my visits to Granada for tapas day (quite a few this last year)

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Cerveceria la Plaza: tapas to die for

by call_me_rhia Updated Mar 17, 2008

solomillo and olives

The perfect tapa place... simple and friendly, with a delightful wooden interior and excellent friendly staff, in particular the Colombian barman.

Favorite Dish: We stopped in this cerveceria because the sign said it had pulpo a la gallega, one of my favourite dishes... of course they had run out of it. We decided to share some olives, a ham plate (yummy), some grilled solomillo (very good) and some habas con jamon, which was really out of this world - I really regretted having to share it... it has since become my favourite Andalusian dish.

• Beach_dog's Profile Photo

Various Tapas Bars: Las Navas Street

by Beach_dog Updated Feb 18, 2003

Las Navas Street

Along this street you will find many small, good tapas bars. Most offer a small tapa free with your drinks. The more you drink the more you eat. The tapas changes with each drink so you are not eating the same thing with every drink.

• raquelitalarga's Profile Photo

D'cuadros: D'Cuadros-a Studenty Bar!

by raquelitalarga Updated Mar 21, 2008

This is very popular( not only with with trendy young things) because the tapas is very tasty, a bit different to other places you can try in Granada. Portions are quite big too!
    I always had the 'berenjenas con miel'- fried aubergine with honey.
    There are quite a few bars hidden away in the side streets of this barrio, most a bit more studenty as it's nearer the university.
    They are so successful now there is another near Camino de Ronda apparently.

• Jawnuta's Profile Photo

Casa Enrique - Donde tapear se hace arte....: Tapas bar

by Jawnuta Updated Dec 15, 2007

This fine little bar on the right between Puerta Real and Corte Inglés has a fine selection of quality hams and wines. Well worth a visit.

Place is closed during the day, so don't bother before 6 pm.
    Standing space only...mostly outside.

Food is outstanding.

It is not cheap, but really good.

Favorite Dish: Casa Enrique serves probaby the best SANGRIA ever. It is made from heavier wine like porto. It is really dark red, and fruit is there only for the flavour....no to fill up the glass. After all Sangria is not a fruit salad....

• raquelitalarga's Profile Photo

Romero: Romero has massive delicious tapas

by raquelitalarga Updated Jun 29, 2008

This is FREE!!

This is a friendly, efficient bar which is always packed out by locals who know they will get large amounts of quality food for the price of a beer. There are about 10 tapa choices. Our goal was always to try to eat our way through the board in a sitting but it is too filling!
    It is slightly out of the centre but easy to get to by bus and even has a view of the Alhambra hill if you crane your neck
    * UPDATE They have reduced the variety on the menu! Although still a good bar probably best to visit now only if in the area rather than making a special trip ;(

• lilnation's Profile Photo

TAPAS: Los Farolillos

by lilnation Written Jan 27, 2006

Mid Day Snack

This Bar was next to my hotel so it was very convenient. Tapas were great. All you have to do is order a beer and then they start bringing Tapas to your table. The waiters' english is not that great but we found a common language which was French.

Favorite Dish: I did not really try anything else other than Tapas at this place. They kept bringing more to my table so to me that was great for mid day snack.

• Faracy's Profile Photo

TAPAS: free food with drinks!

by Faracy Written Aug 19, 2004

Much to our delight, tapas are free in Granada at just about every bar (at least around Plaza Nueva and the Cathedral) with the purchase of a drink. You can´t chose, they just bring them out.. but they are free!!!!

• TAPAS: Tapas, a tipical spanish way of life

by j-a-v-i Written Oct 8, 2003

Tapas is something more than food your are given when you ask for a drink. In many cities of Spain (more often in the south) you can have lunch with the tapas given when you have three beers.

Granada is one of this cities where you can find tapas' bars that offers a wide variety of plates with your drink, free of course.

The best way to know good tapa's bars is asking a local student (Granada has a very important University). They always know where to go :-)

Favorite Dish: Tapas are as rich as spanish food. You can find tapas of: Jamon, tortilla de patatas, paella, bocadillos, carne con tomate, embutidos, etc.

• School Holidays

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

Tapas for vegetarians

by Carmela71 Updated Mar 6, 2004

If you are vegetarian some good tapas to try are:

champiñones (mushrooms)

setas (wild mushrooms)

patatas bravas (spicy potatoes)

patatas a lo pobre (potatoes slowly fired in oil, with green peppers)

Instant Answers: Granada