Granada Shopping

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Festival Discos: Cd's- Flamenco and other Spanish music

by suvanki Updated Feb 1, 2008

Festival Discos CD shop

Whenever I travel, I like to listen to local music whether live or recorded, and try to buy at least 1 CD to remind me of the place I've visited.

I found this shop, that had a wide selection of Cd's of Flamenco, classical and modern Spanish recordings, as well as popular European and American Artistes.

The shop owner was very friendly and helpful. He doesn't speak fluent english, but on both times I've visited this shop, We've managed to communicate ok.

*Update* On my second visit, I was hoping to get tickets to see Bruce Springsteen play at the Bull ring, I'd remembered this shop had quite a lot of Bruce stuff- cds, posters etc, so this was my 1st stop to try to get a ticket- he advised me to try El Corte Ingles, which wasn't successful, but he said I'd get a ticket ok. I did!!

I was racking my brains to find a present for my parents, and as they like Opera, and I was in Spain- a CD of Carmen was a good choice- again, the owner was very helpful in advising me of the best recording - it was a bit more expensive than the one I'd originally picked, but he assured me that his choice was superior, and was his favourite. My parents were very pleased with it!

Closes around 1300 reopens 1700 - 2100 I think!

What to buy: Although I had a list of Cd's I would have liked to buy, I was limited to a budget, so I ended up just buying 1 compilation CD of Flamenco, which contained recordings in a variety of styles, and included some of the well known Flamenco singers and musicians.

I also bought a CD of Carmen on my 2nd visit, which the owner helped me chose - My Spanish is virtually non-existant, the owners English is quite limited, but he is very helpful.

You can also buy tickets for Flamenco shows in Sacromente here.

Good stock of popular music, Flamenco, Classical music, Folk music etc

What to pay: The Cds I saw were priced around 15 euros

• Music

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Alcaiceria: Old Moorish silk market

by Dabs Written May 16, 2006

Old Moorish silk market

In the narrow streets of the old Moorish silk market, you might imagine that you've stepped into an exotic land, here you will find all of the trinkets and souvenirs you might expect to find if you were visiting a market in Marrekesh or the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul.

You should be able to spot this area if you head to Plaza Bib-Rambla and head for the north end of the Plaza.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Calle Calderia Nueva: Old Arab Quarter

by Dabs Updated May 29, 2006

Calle Calderia Nueva

Equally appealing as the Old Moorish silk market shopping area of Alcaiceria is the street where we started our tour of the Old Arab Quarter (Albayzin), Calle Calderia Nueva which is like what you'd expect a market in Morocco to look like. Unfortunately, both times I visited I was too early to stop at any of the tea shops but we were able to poke around in the many shops lining this street and buy a few trinkets to take home with us.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

LOCAL SHOPS: COLOURFUL STREET SHOPS

by LoriPori Updated May 14, 2005

A typical street shop

It was quite a hoot to navigate the narrow streets of Granada and experience the sights , sounds and oh yes the smells of a very diverse city. The shop pictured here, one of the many COLOURFUL STREET SHOPS, was a common sight and their wares were proudly displayed on the street. It was common to see bakers, tailors and little produce shops in little cubby holes along the streets. Quite amazing!

What to buy: Great buys in leather, laces and a hand-crafted pottery.

What to pay: Haggle! Barter! Don't pay the first price quoted.

• Mercadona/Supersol/Al Campo/ Carrefour/Spar: Supermarkets

by blint Written Nov 27, 2004

Plaza Nueva

It occurred to me today it is important to know where good supermarkets are when you visit/move to a new town; so I thought I would give you the low down on where to find them and the prices and goods you can expect to find in Granada.

For cheapness and quality try Mercadona which is open 9-9 all week except Sundays. The one I go to is on the road just behind Jardines de Triunfo to the left. Here you can buy certain British products you may miss such as HP sauce, Baked Beans and Heinz Spaghetti!

Al Campo is a giant superstore near the bus station. You can get to it from the number one bus on Gran Via. Here you can buy anything you want from clothes, books, plants, toys, car stuff, and electronic goods to food and drink! You can also get said British food here too.

Carrefour is another big superstore like Alcampo though the prices are a little more expensive. You'll need to drive or take the number 5 bus to get to it because it is a little out of town on the other side of the river. You can Also get British products here too! You can get cans of John Smith's too!!!!!

Supersol's vary in size. The one on Constitution near the train station is of a good size. They usually sell British products if they are big enough, but I'm not sure if this one does. The prices are average here. It is linked to the TESCO chain in Britain.

Spar. There is a Spar on Pages in the Albaicin and another couple of doors down from the Mercadona mentioned above. The prices are a little more expensive and they don't sell British products! It is biggest supermarket in the Albaicin though!

Covian. There are several of these little shops in the Albaicin. The best is on Calle Larga where a really friendly old man works. The prices are roughly the same as Spar. The only English products you'll find here is Baked Beans. There is a good fruit an veg section and a good selection of wines too.

What to buy: I wrote to much above so I have to carry on here!

Corte Ingles is more expensive than anywhere. The food section is below the department store on Acera de Darro. I don't recommend shopping here because of the prices although they have a great selection of food and wines! I suppose this is the Marks and Sparks of Spain. It is for the richer Clientele.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

various: Interesting 'holes in the wall'

by Bwana_Brown Updated Feb 28, 2009

North African trinkets in a narrow shop

We did not have a great deal of free time to wander around in Granada, but we did enjoy our little stroll through the Albaicin district after we had finished with the Alhambra. The narrow street along the River Darro was fronted by old buildings housing various narrow shops running back from the street. This made for some quite interesting browsing, such as this one selling North African artifacts of all descriptions. We wandered through it checking out quite a collection of different things to buy and nobody pestered us or put a hard-sell on.

Our hostal was located not far away, on the other side of the river, and I noticed the same type of shops were located there when arrived in Granada (2nd photo). Every morning the owners would spread their wares out on the sidewalk and always, across the street, was a male member or two of the family leaning against a wall chatting or smoking while watching to make sure a street passerby did not just grab something for free!

What to buy: Too much variety to even begin!

• Castles and Palaces

• Prices

by blint Updated Nov 27, 2004

San Juan de Dios

Electronic goods aren't that cheap here. They are roughly the same price as Canada and Britain which makes them more expensive for the Spanish who earn less! Therefore make sure you come equipped.

A roll of film will cost you around five euros depending where you get it from. In more touristy areas you can pay up to 7 euros whilst in untouristy places you can play as little as 4 euros.

You can get a big bottle of water for 23 cents in the supermarkets, so bare this in mind when people try and charge you 1.50 for one in places like the Albaicin.

A coffee will cost you around 80 cents to a euro unless you are in a touristy upper market place.

A dinner in a restaurant will probably cost around 20 euros per person (including drink).

Clothes can vary. There are a lot of brand name shops here that cost rediculous prices. Check out the second hand shops by Plaza de Universidad and Plaza de los Lobos for some bargains. Including jeans at around 9 euros and other tops and trousers for as little as 3 euros. You can get leather jackets there for around 45-60 euros too.

A flat will cost you around 400 euros per month if you are looking for a decent place. Though you can get student holes for as little as 225 euros a month.

The cheapest shoes you can find are 10 euros in the Arabic shop though for good walking shoes it will cost you between 30-50 euros.

A hotel room can cost you around 25 to 100 euros depending on the stars and where it is.

• Granadi: Artesania y Ceramica

by blint Written Dec 3, 2004

Box & coasters on an Indian table.

It is a small shop in the Albaycin that sells Arabic goods such as artisan boxes, pipes,tables, bags, ceramics and much more.

An ideal place to look for gifts for you family and friends.

In the photo you can see some items I've bought from this store, though of course they aren't exactly unique to this shop! They are instead typpical of Granada.

What to buy: I like the wooden boxes and other handmade wooden crafts such as the examples in the photo.

What to pay: 5 euros for a wooden box. 2 euros each for coasters.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Ruiz Poro- Ferreteria: Local kitchenware

by suvanki Updated Feb 1, 2008

Ruz Poro, Ferreteria, Plaza Bib-Rambla, Granada

Often when I've visited foreign countries, I've come back with souvenirs- ornaments,etc, which are gathering dust on my shelves!

I've recently decided to go for more practical reminders of my holiday- so usually food items or music on CD etc. which I can use, and are reminders of my trip

I love cooking, so - I'm usually on the lookout for authentic pots n pans, gadgets etc, So this shop was a great find.

Crammed full of various kitchen ware- all practical stuff, such as paella dishes, oil cans, casserole dishes, even a contraption to hold a full ham for carving!

I'm not sure if I'm right, but I guess Ferreteria means ironmongers! There was a selection of tools, screws, nails, paint etc for sale too.

What to buy: Oil cans start at about 3 euros!
    Enamelled Casserole dishes/ Paella dishes.
    Ham 'racks'
    Paella pans
    kitchen gadgets and tools

What to pay: From 1 euro upwards!

• racheljapi's Profile Photo

the moroccan area: Best place to shop

by racheljapi Written Oct 16, 2004

Playing dress up at one of the shops

You can find everything here that you can't find anywhere else. Plus it's easy to talk down prices and people are very nice.

What to buy: This is the perfect place to buy stuff for your friends and family at home

What to pay: totally depends on you. Could be 5 euro to 100.

• Arabic regalos

by blint Updated Nov 27, 2004

Typical Arabic tables, Granada

All up and down the streets behind Plaza Nueva there are Arabic shops. The shop owners will have you believe that all the goods are imported from India or Morocco or are hand made by their family in the Albaicin. I'm not sure how true this is as all the tables look the same in every shop you go in.

What to buy: They sell interesting goods such as lights, cushions, tobacco pipes and flavoured tobacco, jewellery, wooden boxes, Arabic tea sets and tea, Arabic mirrors, Arabic tables and other furniture, leather goods such as bags and purses, Arabic shoes, incents, candles, marble chess sets and other great things which would look cool in your house..

What to pay: For a table expect to pay from 60 euros up. For a full size pipe you can expect to pay around 80 euros though you can get smaller ones that work for cheaper. For a full tea set you can expect to pay 15 to 25 euros though if this is to much you can simply buy a teapot and a few glasses worth 1 euro each. The cushions are worth 12 to 40 euros depending on the design and size. The small trinkets such as wooden boxes or coasters are much cheaper going from 2 euros up.

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

El Corte Ingles: El Corte Ingles

by jamiesno Written Apr 8, 2004

El Cortes Logo

I happened to shop at the El Corte Ingles in Granada but throughout Spain you will find this chain of department stores. From my assessment they are like the Wal-Mart of Spain so if you are looking for department store stuff, it's there!!

• Metro: Bilingual Book shop

by blint Written Nov 8, 2004

Typical Spanish Balcony

If you want English books which aren't your normal trashy holiday books check out Metro. It is the only truly bilingual book shop in Granada.

It also has a notice board of events going on in Granada, English and Spanish classes and anything related to English and Spanish language interests.

What to buy: It has most of the top authors from all genres. It also sells kids books and games as well as Spanish learning books.

It also has all the top authors in Spanish if you fancy practicing your Spanish well as English learning books and games.

What to pay: For the English books it is basically the English price converted into Spanish.

• Study Abroad

• Christina1881's Profile Photo

-: Fruit and vegetables

by Christina1881 Updated Aug 5, 2003

The small narrow street - more or less - just beside the Cathedral is in the morning a small street filled with 3-4 stands with fruits and vegetables. A really nice place to buy fresh fruit and vegetables cheap.

• Senoritasmile's Profile Photo

Misako: Great handbag shopping Part One

by Senoritasmile Written Apr 27, 2006

This small shop looks as if the bags are going to be sporting ridiculous price tags but go in and be pleasantly surprised :-) . Everything is 20 euros! There are some great designs, nice materials and a number of other accessories too. Totes, backpacks, clutches.......lots to choose from at prices its hard to ignore.

Instant Answers: Granada

Comments

Granada Shopping

Reviews and photos of Granada shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Granada sightseeing.