Plaza Isabel La Catolica, Granada
Calle de los Reyes Catolica and Gran Vill de Colon meet at the circular Plaza de Isabel la Catolica, graced by a bronze statue of the queen offering Columbus the Santa Fe agreement, which granted the rights to obtain ships and supplies in finding a western route to the Indies, but which lead to the epochal voyage to the New World. The statue was built in Rome in 1892 by Mariano Benlliure and was originally located in the Paseo del Sal¨®n
This square is in the junction of two main streets in the city center: Reyes Católicos and Gran Vía de Colón. In the middle is the Monument to the Capitulations of Santa Fe, signed between Christopher Columbus and the Catholic Monarchs in Santa Fe, a village near Granada, on April 17, 1492.
The Capitulations granted Columbus the titles of Admiral of the Ocean Sea, the Viceroy, the Governor-General and honorific Don, and also the tenth part of all riches to be obtained from his intended voyage.
The monument on the square between Gran Vía de Colón and Calle Reyes Católicos shows Columbus talking to Queen Isabella who, on 17 April 1492, three months after taking Granada, gave her permission for the westward voyage of discovery.
The official name is Plaza Isabel la Catolica, but the granadinos amusingly call it La Plaza de Colon- Columbus Square - since there´s no doubt in their minds that the real hero was the sailor and not the Queen, who merely signed the chilt entitling him to obtain the ships and supplies.
The Plaza de Isabel Catolica is located where the two big streets of Granada - C/ Reyes Catolicos and Gran Via de Colon - run together.
The plaza has a very beautiful fountain of "los reyes catolicos"
Plaza Isabel la Catolica is a square that depicts a statue of Queen Isabel granting Christopher Columbus ships and supplies